Bus 3972 rolling backwards in Brooklyn...

Ty24

She is on iod u have no idea if she is employed or not

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Oh. I doubt that. People have been fired for the littlest thing when on probation. Her bus basically drove it's self down 3 blocks and park into a church . Veronique Hakim came down personally and fired her. I just hope she can at least come back after that 5 year period.

Im not sayin it wasnt recklessness and careless im not foolish but im sayin there is many factors in this. Maybe she applied parking break put in neutral but never interlock and never kneeled the bus. And juss maybe parking break failed we dont know see what im saying ?

the strange thing is that had she left the bus in drive and get out the bus probably wouldn't move an inch.  Since the bus doesn't have a transmission you have to press the gas to move it forward and if it's stop at an incline and you take your foot off the brake it will not roll back. Two of the better features of the hybrid buses.   

Definitely now. MTA does NOT play when it comes to safety and will fire you at at drop of a dime. In this case, I got the full report this morning. She was a probie is and only started on Monday. She was fired shortly after the incident. That's all I'm going to speak on because as I understand it there is still an ongoing investigation.

Same thing happened with an Xcelsion in Baltimore not too long ago. That's grounds for immediate termination. Even if she was here for 20 years that's an immediate violation. What if that bus had hit or killed someone? MTA is already on the hook for the damage to everyone's car and the church. She's way too much of a liability. Even if she was a very as I said the union may have fought for her, but even then she would still likey be fired.

I mean it is possible to forget things, but as a person who has driven almost ever bus on the street including my own RTS, I just don't see how you can forget that....

Too many lives are at stake to forget how to operate things such as buses, trucks, trains and planes.... Excuses and accidents just can't and should not be tolerated. As a consultant and Advocate for the MTA I really feel bad for her. This just isn't the place for people like that. What if she forgot to pull that brake in the middle of the day a week or a month later?

But again..... As a trained professional, I just can't fathom how someone can forget to put a bus in park..... It's not even made like a car, so how in the hell do you miss that??? Maybe it's just because I've had my driver licence for 18 years and trained on my first bus in Detroit 4 years before that.... But my first day I didn't even have to be told to remember the brake.....

That's also a reason that unlike many agencies in America you have to have an NY State Driver licence for at least 3 years prior to the day you start at MTA. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you can drive in NY and they want at least 72 months experience, which in my honest opinion is cool because many agencies and especially private companies don't require that.

Don't you guys have a wheel stop metal holder for that? I see that with SEPTA drivers in Philly that when they leave the bus, they have one to put in the back of the right side of the front wheel. It prevents buses from pulling away in reverse direction.

Don't you guys have a wheel stop metal holder for that? I see that with SEPTA drivers in Philly that when they leave the bus, they have one to put in the back of the right side of the front wheel. It prevents buses from pulling away in reverse direction.

Lol nope

the strange thing is that had she left the bus in drive and get out the bus probably wouldn't move an inch.  Since the bus doesn't have a transmission you have to press the gas to move it forward and if it's stop at an incline and you take your foot off the brake it will not roll back. Two of the better features of the hybrid buses.

That's not necessarily true. The hybrids actually have more low end torque than the diesels and if the bus is on a flat service it can actually roll forward

She is on iod u have no idea if she is employed or not

She was in probation, on the job for 3 days, and will officially be terminated if it hasn't happened already. I got the full report within 12 hours of the incident. That was a "preventable accident." MTA does not play and rarely EVER makes exceptions for that classification of accident. As they should. Someone could have been killed. MTA is already on the hook for thousands of dollars of damage.... The driver certainly can't afford it and MTA doesn't planning on paying her and the multiple victims of her accidents.

I agree that MTA ten day bus training is not enough...it's crazy, really. I read an article in the Yonkers Tribune that the Westchester (Bee-Line) buses is ranked number one in the metropolitan area in maintenance and employee safety training. Maybe MTA should model their training program after Bee-line? I hear their bus training is about two months...that's more substantial than ten days...in my opinion. I don't think she would have forgotten the parking brake if she had two months. Also, I rarely hear of Bee-Line having major accidents like MTA has.

I agree that MTA ten day bus training is not enough...it's crazy, really. I read an article in the Yonkers Tribune that the Westchester (Bee-Line) buses is ranked number one in the metropolitan area in maintenance and employee safety training. Maybe MTA should model their training program after Bee-line? I hear their bus training is about two months...that's more substantial than ten days...in my opinion. I don't think she would have forgotten the parking brake if she had two months. Also, I rarely hear of Bee-Line having major accidents like MTA has.

I went through 6 weeks of Coach USA training. Learned everything from 30 ft RTS NovaBuses to 45 foot coaches. And going around those turns at Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth was frightening as a first timer

I agree that MTA ten day bus training is not enough...it's crazy, really....

Tell me about it, especially with what I went through in February of 2014, but what I also saw as well, including (but not limited to);

-The instructor not wearing his seatbelt

-The instructor making me drive a bus over a bridge and on the parkway, when I only had my permit

-The instructor discriminating against those who did not have experience either driving a school bus or a coach bus, including going at least 10 times harder on them

-The instructor making a right turn at a red traffic light

-The instructor sounding off on how he hates those orange safety vests

-The instructor complaining of how we were "fu**in chained" the day after a snowstorm

I'm not going to mention any names, however I will mention that, for Days 1 to 7, 2/11/14 to 2/19/14 I was reporting to the Flatbush Depot in Brooklyn. In addition, for Day 10 on 2/24/14, the same instructor was one of the 2 Superintendents on the bus...talk about discrimination...

Archived