Mayoral hopeful Paul Massey wants to F with the G train

When will politicians learn to do some homework before coming out with these asinine ideas? Then the public thinks crazy crap like this is possible. Do a little homework. Info is available online. Google can be their friend.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Just think about the fact that if he gets enough signatures that are not challenged, our tax dollars will have to pay for a primary where virtually no one shows up! I am in total agreement with my fellow posters as to what planet this man is living on and the fact that he is spending his money (hopefully) to run a campaign where he is totally clueless (and proves it quite well) about transit. If he is clueless about this issue, I dread to hear what else he will be coming out with in the future.

If he wanted to spend his money wisely and do something for transit then  the Transit Museum, Shoreline, The one in Kingston NY and others with transit collections should receive  some  of his monetary  larges. instead of running for office.  

Why not extend the (G) back to 71 Av full time?

Same reason you can't have the (G) to Manhattan: there's no room for additional trains.

You'd have to extend all the locals to 179 and have them go express on hillside. Could work but ugh.

This plan though... does the G only go in one direction along the loop? Because, if you have northbound G's and southbound G's fighting to turn at D5 at queens plaza good f'ing lord would that be a mess.

Even one train turning there would be a mess. THAT'S WHY IT DOESNT.  

There's no connection from the crosstown tracks to the rutgers st tracks at Hoyt - is he turning trains there too? At bergen? 

You'd have to extend all the locals to 179 and have them go express on hillside. Could work but ugh.

This plan though... does the G only go in one direction along the loop? Because, if you have northbound G's and southbound G's fighting to turn at D5 at queens plaza good f'ing lord would that be a mess.

Even one train turning there would be a mess. THAT'S WHY IT DOESNT.  

There's no connection from the crosstown tracks to the rutgers st tracks at Hoyt - is he turning trains there too? At bergen? 

I don't think a track map was consulted at any point here. Massey or someone on his team (the latter more likely) probably just saw that the (A)(C) and (G) meet at Hoyt-Schermerhorn and thought they had the most brilliant idea since sliced bread. To answer your question, I'd imagine it was meant to be a bidirectional loop as anything other than that would effectively halve actual Crosstown service.

As for your first point, they don't need to resurrect Hillside express service to fit the (G) on Queens Blvd. They just cannot terminate all three locals at 71 Avenue without causing relay-related delays.

As for your first point, they don't need to resurrect Hillside express service to fit the (G) on Queens Blvd. They just cannot terminate all three locals at 71 Avenue without causing relay-related delays.

I had figured even if you only sent one service to 179, relaying the other services at 71 would back up the whole works. I'd imagine you'd want to run on the express to avoid messing with the F too much. 

Send all locals to 179th, keep (E) and (F) express "north" of 71st Ave until locals stop running. Turn (G) at Queens Plaza over night.

The (G) stops near Barclays and will stop at Queens Plaza and Queens Center Mall if it is extended.  The (M) was crap until they changed the routing. LIC is getting tons of apartments as well as Williamsburg, and the with the (L) shut down the (G) will be used if the headway isn't crap.

You'd drastically over-serve the Hillside corridor. The (F)(M) and (R) would amount to nearly 30 trains per hour at the 179 Street terminal. Adding the (G) to that would make matters even worse. And then there's the issue of how well express service would be received along Hillside Ave. Will riders bail the full-local (M) or (R) at Parsons Blvd, Union Turnpike or 71 Avenue as they did in the late '80s or will they stick with the local despite a slower ride to Manhattan?

There was someone who had even proposed to have the G extend to Manhattan along a new 125th Street Corridor up to 12th Avenue.  It could also serve Astoria via 21st Street and allow folks from the Bronx and upper Manhattan to get to Queens quicker by avoiding midtown altogether.  I believe that would be far better than having it loop around 6th Avenue.  I believe they should at least look at that as part of a long term solution.

There was someone who had even proposed to have the G extend to Manhattan along a new 125th Street Corridor up to 12th Avenue.  It could also serve Astoria via 21st Street and allow folks from the Bronx and upper Manhattan to get to Queens quicker by avoiding midtown altogether.  I believe that would be far better than having it loop around 6th Avenue.  I believe they should at least look at that as part of a long term solution.

I had my own ideas for extending the (N) and (W) to The Bronx a while back, though if you can (via a new portal and track that would include a new above-ground Queens Plaza stop) connect the (G) to the (N) and (W) after those trains stop at Queensboro Plaza, then that could be worked into the plan to have such go to The Bronx and then 12th Avenue in upper Manhattan as well.

The love affair of wanting to send everything into Manhattan continues; what else is new....

You have developers in these "up & coming" neighborhoods here in Brooklyn & (in Queens as well) that have this asinine ideology that every single mode of transportation that runs in the vicinity of their development should be 1-seat accessible to "the city".... They're not just (wanting to) promote express bus service anymore.... You get those that believe that every bus route actually runs to Manhattan! Intra-borough bus service be damned.....

This is how out of touch they actually are with NYC's public transit infrastructure.....

The level of stupefaction is what happens when you don't do your own research & are 100% reliant & driven by the word of mouth of others that erroneously categorize NYC as being (Manhattan first, everything else, meh).... The outerboroughs are blueprinted (looked at) like they're suburbs for crying out loud.....

You most certainly get politicians that fit this bill too btw....

FFS.... Having the (G), "(M)-training" its way in & out of Manhattan....

You'd drastically over-serve the Hillside corridor. The (F)(M) and (R) would amount to nearly 30 trains per hour at the 179 Street terminal. Adding the (G) to that would make matters even worse. And then there's the issue of how well express service would be received along Hillside Ave. Will riders bail the full-local (M) or (R) at Parsons Blvd, Union Turnpike or 71 Avenue as they did in the late '80s or will they stick with the local despite a slower ride to Manhattan?

They can try to turn one at 71st Ave I suppose. It's just annoying from experience and observation of :

1) The (M)(R) "northbound" conga line every weekday evening.

2) The (E)(F)(R) "northbound" conga line behind terminating (R) trains when they all share the local or express track.

2a) The (E)(F) "Southbound" conga line behind (R) trains waiting to depart 71st ave when the (E)(F)(R) are sharing the local or express track

(except the times where they'll pull the (R) trains in on the express track and let the (E)(F) go through on the local track or vice versa.)

They can try to turn one at 71st Ave I suppose. It's just annoying from experience and observation of :

2) The (E)(F)(R) "northbound" conga line behind terminating (R) trains when they all share the local or express track.

2a) The (E)(F) "Southbound" conga line behind (R) trains waiting to depart 71st ave when the (E)(F)(R) are sharing the local or express track

(except the times where they'll pull the (R) trains in on the express track and let the (E)(F) go through on the local track or vice versa.)

Those long conga lines are the worst especially on the weekends when work is being done on either the express or local tracks on the Queens Blvd Lines. Anytime a set of tracks are out on the QBL the (R) should always be extended to 179th Street.

As far as the (G) situation on Queens Blvd the only way I see it coming back is only if the bypass was made, but at this point is it really possible? I don't think so but if it ever came into fruition one day, I can see the (F) being the super express and making express stops on Hillside Ave. The R would take the (F)'s current role of being the Hillside local and Queens Blvd Express and the (E) and (M) stays the same and the (G) local on Queens Blvd except late nights. However even with something like that there will be problems with spacing and things like deciding if it would be better sending the (R) via 63rd street or 59th Street. The current setup while not perfect, works and I see no changes being done anytime soon.

Those long conga lines are the worst especially on the weekends when work is being done on either the express or local tracks on the Queens Blvd Lines. Anytime a set of tracks are out on the QBL the (R) should always be extended to 179th Street.

Exactly, that would be an example of good customer service, extend the (R) to reduce conga delays and provide customers with a more positive riding experience, especially those which still have to transfer to a bus. However, the MTA doesn't see it that way, they say that it'll cost money to extend the (R) (as if the crews aren't getting overtime for the conga delays).  :mellow:

Massey's stupidity is compounded by his other idea of extending PATH to SI over the Bayonne Bridge. Does he not know that HBLR already serves Jersey City and Bayonne down to near the bridge, and that the bridge was recently retrofitted to accommodate future light rail - but not heavy rail?

Which is why for the shutdown, I would in that scenario look to have the (G)(M) and (R) all run local to 179 with the provision as needed any local train can be moved to the express track after Parsons Boulevard to reduce any conga lines there.  

Massey's stupidity is compounded by his other idea of extending PATH to SI over the Bayonne Bridge. Does he not know that HBLR already serves Jersey City and Bayonne down to near the bridge, and that the bridge was recently retrofitted to accommodate future light rail - but not heavy rail?

I think the point was to minimize transfers and save on fares for SIers who work in midtown, since with HBLR, they'd have to buy a NJT pass, a PATH pass and possibly a MetroCard if they didn't work in midtown.

I think the point was to minimize transfers and save on fares for SIers who work in midtown, since with HBLR, they'd have to buy a NJT pass, a PATH pass and possibly a MetroCard if they didn't work in midtown.

The fare situation is an administrative restriction. There is no reasonable reason why an agreement couldn’t be reached to minimize transfer pains. The only remaining problem is the fact that they would still have to physically make the transfer between the light rail, rail road, and subway/bus.

The fare situation is an administrative restriction. There is no reasonable reason why an agreement couldn’t be reached to minimize transfer pains. The only remaining problem is the fact that they would still have to physically make the transfer between the light rail, rail road, and subway/bus.

Okay...Nice info, but irrelevant to my point which was why Massey pitched PATH to SI over HBLR.

Okay...Nice info, but irrelevant to my point which was why Massey pitched PATH to SI over HBLR.

Maybe this way he could get the port Authority to pay for some of it, or maybe so people could get to Manhattan via a NJ detour, or he simply don't know what HBLR is

Maybe this way he could get the port Authority to pay for some of it, or maybe so people could get to Manhattan via a NJ detour, or he simply don't know what HBLR is

There's precedent on the former, since Port Authority is paying for Christie's Pulaski Skyway rehab.

Archived