South Ferry, here we come!

Porter

Well yeah, the entire station was destroyed...

No, it wasn't.  Part of it was flooded.  They must've torn down everything and made it all fancy again. Wonder if they proofed the station this time from being flooded... For $344 million, it should be made of gold. 

Well yeah, the entire station was destroyed...

And yet nothing changed except the floodgates? I guess if it's broke, fix it the same way. I hope all the artwork is okay...

I think the old South Ferry Station should be donated to Wally so he can play trains on the outer and inner loops, now equally defunct.

No, it wasn't.  Part of it was flooded.  They must've torn down everything and made it all fancy again. Wonder if they proofed the station this time from being flooded... For $344 million, it should be made of gold. 

Yes, its been flood proofed. Entrances to the station have been completely replaced with structures that can close with a flood tight seal in the event of another hurricane. That flood proofing is expensive.

And yet nothing changed except the floodgates? I guess if it's broke, fix it the same way. I hope all the artwork is okay...

I think the old South Ferry Station should be donated to Wally so he can play trains on the outer and inner loops, now equally defunct.

Artwork on the mezzanine is all intact, bases on the pictures I've seen.

The station wasn't just flooded; it was completely submerged from the trackbed to the ceiling. Water came up to the top of the stairs leading to the (1) platform. Remember, this is what South Ferry looked like immediately after Sandy:

02.jpg

Courtesy MTA via Gizmodo

The saltwater the poured into the station destroyed literally anything electronic. To add on to ATH's post, along with the new flood proofing measures, which really would not have mattered in a storm like this, everything from the signals and switches to the tracks and the communications equipment had to be replaced as nothing could be salvaged. Saltwater is very corrosive, which is why it took nearly a year of work to bring the Montague tunnels back to pre-Sandy conditions and why it will take 18 months to fix the Canarsie tunnels.

The station wasn't just flooded; it was completely submerged from the trackbed to the ceiling. Water came up to the top of the stairs leading to the (1) platform. Remember, this is what South Ferry looked like immediately after Sandy:

02.jpg

Courtesy MTA via Gizmodo

The saltwater the poured into the station destroyed literally anything electronic. To add on to ATH's post, along with the new flood proofing measures, which really would not have mattered in a storm like this, everything from the signals and switches to the tracks and the communications equipment had to be replaced as nothing could be salvaged. Saltwater is very corrosive, which is why it took nearly a year of work to bring the Montague tunnels back to pre-Sandy conditions and why it will take 18 months to fix the Canarsie tunnels.

I'm still not convinced that it takes $344 million dollars for that... Mind you, I worked in construction in the insurance area for a number of years for both commercial and residential construction. I have a pretty good idea of costs.  

I saw some brief footage on the news, but none of the signs I saw show the (R)(W). I'm worried that they cut off the free transfer for some ridiculous reason.

There's an entire fenced area after fare control on both sides that lets you go between the (1) and (R)(W).

What I'll check when I go to MNH next is if the entrance on the west side of the ferry from Battery Park/Coast Guard building is still open, since many of us lower deck ferry riders use that to get to/from the trains.

Glad to see they finally re-opened the "new" station, but I'll definitely be sad to see the "old" station close! It's such a unique stop, I was happen when they had to re-open it again! I was hoping I'd have a chance to get in there one last time but it looks like I won't!

I am glad I decided to go to the loop station on Thursday. It is too bad I wasn't able to go today. I have work.

If you've been once or twice and had a good look-around, then it's enough, I think. No amount of visits will be sufficient if you'll miss it anyway.

02.jpg

Courtesy MTA via Gizmodo

Hey, question how far up the line did the water go? I'm not familiar with the grades south of Chambers. I'd expect a slight upgrade just north of the station to link with the existing line from a depth of 50-60 feet. Just wondering.

What I'll check when I go to MNH next is if the entrance on the west side of the ferry from Battery Park/Coast Guard building is still open, since many of us lower deck ferry riders use that to get to/from the trains.

And it's blocked off. I wonder how long DOT will keep opening that west gate for passengers leaving the ferry since we can't use that subway entrance anymore.

Hey, question how far up the line did the water go? I'm not familiar with the grades south of Chambers. I'd expect a slight upgrade just north of the station to link with the existing line from a depth of 50-60 feet. Just wondering.

Hopefully someone with specific knowledge can comment but I don't think it went that far. In fact, if I recall correctly, the original south ferry loop was not damaged at all, which is why they were able to reactivate it so quickly. That would imply that the water only flooded the new lower terminal and would have stopped before the tracks climbed back up to the old grade.

02.jpg

Courtesy MTA via Gizmodo

So if G-D forbid another sandy came all these improvements wouldn't help?

So if G-D forbid another sandy came all these improvements wouldn't help?

The new station has flood gates to prevent this now. IIRC the new station originally used sandbags like every other station, but debris punctured whatever was in the way.

Hopefully someone with specific knowledge can comment but I don't think it went that far. In fact, if I recall correctly, the original south ferry loop was not damaged at all, which is why they were able to reactivate it so quickly. That would imply that the water only flooded the new lower terminal and would have stopped before the tracks climbed back up to the old grade.

Umm indeed I remember hearing the Joralemon faired okay in the initial reports after the hurricane. But of course it had to go through extensive repairs as well just wondering how the water might’ve gotten into the tube and if it was a spill over from South Ferry or directly from the stations or vent grates. But That Makes sense With water staying below the old grade that’s possibly what created the bathtub effect that backed the water up to fully inundate the new South Ferry station. That Leads me to another question of how the pumping infrastructure set up?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived