Will the Shoreliners be replaced in my lifetime?

MNR Beacon Line

Upper Hudson line and branch riders now have to suffer the worst commuter cars in the MTA's fleet, with non-functional HVAC units, smelly bathrooms, and uncomfortable seats. Meanwhile, some of the M7s already have a replacement lined up, the M9s. The M7s aren't in perfect shape, but to a common rider they seem way more comfortable than the Shoreliners (if you can ignore the squeaky trucks).

Does the MTA have any plans to replace them in the next 10 or 15 years? I remember the idea of implementing bilevels like the C3s being floated around for a bit, the main hypothetical restriction being the height constraints of the Park Av Tunnel.

Do the unpowered M8 single railcars that were ordered for the NH line draw power for lights, etc from caternary/DC? If not, could unpowered MUs from the same contract as an EMU order be used in dual-mode push/pull service? (My technical knowledge on this sort of stuff is severely lacking).

Thanks for any responses.

Upper Hudson line and branch riders now have to suffer the worst commuter cars in the MTA's fleet, with non-functional HVAC units, smelly bathrooms, and uncomfortable seats. Meanwhile, some of the M7s already have a replacement lined up, the M9s. The M7s aren't in perfect shape, but to a common rider they seem way more comfortable than the Shoreliners (if you can ignore the squeaky trucks).

Does the MTA have any plans to replace them in the next 10 or 15 years? I remember the idea of implementing bilevels like the C3s being floated around for a bit, the main hypothetical restriction being the height constraints of the Park Av Tunnel.

Do the unpowered M8 single railcars that were ordered for the NH line draw power for lights, etc from caternary/DC? If not, could unpowered MUs from the same contract as an EMU order be used in dual-mode push/pull service? (My technical knowledge on this sort of stuff is severely lacking).

The M9s are not replacing the M7s. They're to expand service and to retire the M3s.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Where are you coming from? I live in Riverdale and get some of the older cars on weekends when we have semi-express service to or from Grand Central and also during the week or when taking an express train to Marbl Hill, and I have to agree with you. They need to be replaced. The jolting that they do is VERY off putting and they seem limited in how fast they can go as a result. I'm shocked that they're considered safe doing that. As for the seats, quite frankly I'm not happy with any of the trains. We need cars with better seating and AC. The New Haven line has better seats. They don't look and feel like pleather. On the AC side, I have not been pleased with the AC on any train. Just simply lacking. We've already had hot days and the AC sucked. I will be taking the express bus more for this reason. I can deal with the seats for 20 minutes but the AC is pathetic. Either they're skimping on it or it's just awful. When I get on the train, I want to FEEL the cold air. You never really cool down on those trains, be it the old ones or the newer ones. We need to raise hell for improvements to these things. Perhaps start a petition...

Where are you coming from? I live in Riverdale and get some of the older cars on weekends when we have semi-express service to or from Grand Central and also during the week or when taking an express train to Marbl Hill, and I have to agree with you. They need to be replaced. The jolting that they do is VERY off putting and they seem limited in how fast they can go as a result. I'm shocked that they're considered safe doing that. As for the seats, quite frankly I'm not happy with any of the trains. We need cars with better seating and AC. The New Haven line has better seats. They don't look and feel like pleather. On the AC side, I have not been pleased with the AC on any train. Just simply lacking. We've already had hot days and the AC sucked. I will be taking the express bus more for this reason. I can deal with the seats for 20 minutes but the AC is pathetic. Either they're skimping on it or it's just awful. When I get on the train, I want to FEEL the cold air. You never really cool down on those trains, be it the old ones or the newer ones. We need to raise hell for improvements to these things. Perhaps start a petition...

I know that jolt you're talking about. NJT's Comets jolt like that too. I've often wondered why they haven't began replacing them either, they're actually a bit older than NJTs Comets. Question is, does MNRR even want to replace them, and if they do, with what?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I know that jolt you're talking about. NJT's Comets jolt like that too. I've often wondered why they haven't began replacing them either, they're actually a bit older than NJTs Comets. Question is, does MNRR even want to replace them, and if they do, with what?

It's so alarming. Feels like the train is going to jump off of the tracks. I would think they have to be looking at retiring them in the near future. The only thing decent about those trains is the seating layout. Otherwise I wouldn't miss them.

Shoreliners are probably going to be replaced the same time the P32-DMs go which should be some time in the next 5-10 years. As roar as I know the new DM order would be a joint order between New York State (for the Empire Corridor), LIRR and Metro North. The LIRR and Metro-North push pull cars would probably be replaced at the same time with some sort of multilevel.

What are you talking about "the M7s have a replacement already?" These cars are between 11-14 years old and are not scheduled to retire for a long time. What's being replaced are the M3s. Most Shoreliners are 20 years old and should be ready for their midlife overhaul. Those shoreliners built in the 1990s will retire in the 2030s (that's when most of us will be old & grey and living out our golden ages). As for New Haven Line, more M8s are coming, matter of fact 60 of them IIRC. By then, NHLs should be going to Penn Station once everything gets cleared out of their issues.

Archived