M shuttle bus stops.

Kamen Rider

Unlike the simple weekend shutdowns, actual bus stops have been created for the M shuttle routes.

Fresh Pond Road And Metropolitan ave has a stand alone stop for the routes 2 and 3 buses.

19553904_10209968132824866_9213483412616

19510380_10209968132864867_317855226646019598905_10209968132944869_3439509798731

Fresh Pond Road

Route 1 terminal (route 2 through stop after 7:50 PM when route 1 will not be running)

19553918_10209978027952238_7833822053589

Going southbound a temporary stop has been set up on Putnam ave beyond the existing B13, B20 and Q58 stand. The entire right side of the block up to Stier place is now bus stops.

19554778_10209978028152243_290632630669319642243_10209978029112267_5718760705662

Forest Avenue

Southbound temporary stop

19511613_10209978026392199_4881209772528

Route 1 stop (route 2 when route 1 isn't running) temporary stop on Fairview

19510291_10209978026472201_2935847057872

Route 2 daytime stop is pre-existing Q58 stop on Madison

19599019_10209978026952213_5137585149251

That's the first time I've ever seen anything like that! I am actually so delighted right now it's crazy. While service announcements on paper may not be easy to read, I have to credit MTA for making a solution that works.

Seems like a mess. With the transferring and all of that nonsense, there should be more QM24 service and it should run on weekends too.  Apparently I'm not the only one who feels this way:

The frequency of QM24 express buses should be increased with the MTA charging the regular $2.75 fare and not the $6.50 express fare during the construction period.

M Train shutdown barreling down the tracks

BY CHRISTINA WILKINSON

M_train.jpg

It was announced in late March that the MTA will be shutting down various parts of the M line for 10 months starting in summer 2017 in order to rebuild a bridge and viaduct. This project was prioritized in order to allow for increased ridership on the M line before the anticipated L train shutdown which is expected to take 2 years.

For Middle Village and Ridgewood, a seamless subway ride will be unattainable for about a year. The stops between Metropolitan Avenue and Broadway-Myrtle will be completely closed for the first 2 months. After that, service along the line will resume, but the Knickerbocker Avenue and Central Avenue stations in Bushwick are expected to stay closed. Bus shuttle service between Myrtle-Wyckoff and Broadway-Myrtle will be provided. If this sounds like a logistical nightmare, that's because it is.

The long awaited replacement of the LIRR bridge at Fresh Pond Road and Metropolitan Avenue ‒ which will require a year-long narrowing of Metropolitan Avenue to one lane in each direction ‒ is expected to be underway during this time. Published reports indicate that phase 1 of the bridge replacement will be completed by the summer of 2017, with the M train project also starting in the summer of 2017. Will the timelines overlap? What if there is a delay? How will this affect shuttle bus and regular local service since they have to pass through this point? The bridge project was supposed to have been finished years ago and if it is not done before the M train outage, this will turn a big problem into a gigantic one.

Below are some ideas which we want to see the MTA and DOT explore and implement in an effort to ameliorate the coming headache:

• Determine if the Ridgewood Busway between Fresh Pond Road and Palmetto Street can be utilized to speed up bus transit time. This project involves using the right-of-way beneath the elevated M tracks as an exclusive road for buses, including the Q58. This idea was first put forth by the MTA in 2013 and money has been budgeted for it. Are they moving forward with it? Where are they in its implementation? Our elected officials need to find out.

• Anyone who has taken the weekend shuttle buses knows what an inconvenience they are as they stop at each subway station and are overcrowded before they even get to the second stop. Buses should therefore be dedicated to each station and only make 2 express stops at subway transfer stations: Myrtle-Wyckoff for the L and Myrtle-Broadway for theJ/M. This would reduce the amount of time needed to get to a subway connection. A local shuttle bus that stops at each station can also be employed for those that start and end their travel at closed stations. (If these shuttle buses were to travel along the Ridgewood Busway, it would be a much quicker ride.)

• The MTA has already announced plans for a shuttle bus that will start at Metropolitan Avenue and stop at the Jefferson Street station on the L line and the Flushing Avenue station on the J/M line. Local bus service on the Q38 and Q67 routes should also be increased as both service the Metropolitan Avenue station as well as alternative M train stations in other neighborhoods (Elmhurst, Rego Park and Long Island City).

The frequency of QM24 express buses should be increased with the MTA charging the regular $2.75 fare and not the $6.50 express fare during the construction period.

• Alternate side parking rules should be suspended throughout the CB5 district for the duration of both the M and L repairs. Many people will be trying to park near the L train while the M is out and close to the M train when the L is down. This will cause a big problem for both commuters and those residents of Ridgewood who already find it hard to park on alternate side days. Much of the area now has alternate side rules a burdensome 4 days a week.

Some questions that need answers:

Why was the L train announcement made back in January but the M train announcement made 2 months later, when it is the M construction that is happening first?

During Council Member Elizabeth Crowley's talks with the MTA regarding her highly unlikely light rail idea, was this immediate problem ever a topic of conversation? What is she proposing to help her constituents get around?

What about the state elected officials? When did they know about this and what demands have they made to make the commutes of their constituents easier?

We live at the end of the line in what is considered to be a transit desert and should not be expected to take this major inconvenience lightly. The MTA has promised to provide robust shuttle bus and subway service during the construction, and if they are truly serious about that, the suggestions we have made should be implemented in order to help them accomplish that goal.

Source: http://www.junipercivic.com/juniperberryarticle.asp?nid=1883#.WVmOrYjysdU

Well, I used the shuttle 3 on my way home from work this evening for the hell of it. For 9:30 on a sunday night is was rather frequent. 

I do appreciate that for the sake of the two months they programed the bus signs to actually have the three separate routes.

I should also note one issue Via's article brings up has been mitigated, Metro is back to four lanes at Fresh Pond for the duration. 

Well, I used the shuttle 3 on my way home from work this evening for the hell of it. For 9:30 on a sunday night is was rather frequent. 

I do appreciate that for the sake of the two months they programed the bus signs to actually have the three separate routes.

I should also note one issue Via's article brings up has been mitigated, Metro is back to four lanes at Fresh Pond for the duration. 

Do you or a anyone know the differences between the three routes? You can kind of tell by going on bustime, but it's still confusing me. Is there a map or something out there? Thanks.

Do you or a anyone know the differences between the three routes? You can kind of tell by going on bustime, but it's still confusing me. Is there a map or something out there? Thanks.

There are actually a bus map brochure for the M shuttle buses route. I had a few on my bus the other day.

Route # 1and 2 makes all local stops to Myrtle Ave and Broadway.

Route # 1 turns on Freshpound RD

Route # 2 turns on Forest Ave.

Route # 3 is the express Shuttle bound which departs from Flushing avenue and Broadway and only makes two stops till Metropolitan Station.

Route # 3 only operates straight on Flushing Ave and its first stop is Wyckoff and Jefferson Street transfer to the (L) train.

Following stop will be on Metropolitan Ave and Freshpound Road.

-

Archived