Maps

RES2773

Thought a general thread for maps should exist, surprised it doesn't unless I am mistaken...

Anyway to start off I have a gripe with the MTA. I do like the style of the maps and how they are always kept updated, except for when they're not. The Nassau County portion of the map is pretty outdated. In all fairness, it's not really a necessity for them, but it would be appreciated if they did.

Here is what I found:

n2/n8: No longer exists, but still fully listed on the map.

n6X: not labeled, strange considering they added the n4X

n22A: No longer exists, still on map

To be fair, the current iteration of the map is from January, and I am hoping with the slight change of the terminus of the Q84, a new version with an updated Nassau County could be released.

Thought a general thread for maps should exist, surprised it doesn't unless I am mistaken...

Anyway to start off I have a gripe with the MTA. I do like the style of the maps and how they are always kept updated, except for when they're not. The Nassau County portion of the map is pretty outdated. In all fairness, it's not really a necessity for them, but it would be appreciated if they did.

Here is what I found:

n2/n8: No longer exists, but still fully listed on the map.

n6X: not labeled, strange considering they added the n4X

n22A: No longer exists, still on map

To be fair, the current iteration of the map is from January, and I am hoping with the slight change of the terminus of the Q84, a new version with an updated Nassau County could be released.

Go to NICE's website and download the PDF map ... Then try to complain about the MTA's map  :lol:

Go to NICE's website and download the PDF map ... Then try to complain about the MTA's map :lol:

Ha ha, funny you say that. I have used their complaint form at least 5 times to ask about that. I have been constantly reassured that it will in fact be updated. Yeah, maybe when Nassau County comes crawling back to MTA. I love how they say effectivs April 8. Not even a year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha ha, funny you say that. I have used their complaint form at least 5 times to ask about that. I have been constantly reassured that it will in fact be updated. Yeah, maybe when Nassau County comes crawling back to MTA. I love how they say effectivs April 8. Not even a year lol.

If you download the map is says April 8th, 2012.

There wasn't a separate thread, but we've had several discussions regarding maps on here....

Anyway, I'll reiterate my general stance..... Only real thing I have an issue with regarding MTA's bus maps is that they're far too cluttered with text..... I'm not gonna hold them too much to keeping up with NICE's ongoings - when NICE themselves (as was pointed out) still has an outdated map as their most current one on their website....

They really don't have to put NICE's or Bee Line's routes on the bus maps.... The composition of the bus maps is crazy (that's crazy, in a good way... Lol).... I mean, there are some bland bus maps out there (TOR's first PDF bus map comes to mind.... their current one is slightly better, but they still have ways to go).... Bee Line's maps from the last decade to the current map has drastically improved (although I don't like the way the map is split in two).... What else? SCT's bus map I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I never liked about (the composition of) it..... Maybe it's the fact that the text of streets the buses run on are so damn small, IDK....

There wasn't a separate thread, but we've had several discussions regarding maps on here....

Anyway, I'll reiterate my general stance..... Only real thing I have an issue with regarding MTA's bus maps is that they're far too cluttered with text..... I'm not gonna hold them too much to keeping up with NICE's ongoings - when NICE themselves (as was pointed out) still has an outdated map as their most current one on their website....

They really don't have to put NICE's or Bee Line's routes on the bus maps.... The composition of the bus maps is crazy (that's crazy, in a good way... Lol).... I mean, there are some bland bus maps out there (TOR's first PDF bus map comes to mind.... their current one is slightly better, but they still have ways to go).... Bee Line's maps from the last decade to the current map has drastically improved (although I don't like the way the map is split in two).... What else? SCT's bus map I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I never liked about (the composition of) it..... Maybe it's the fact that the text of streets the buses run on are so damn small, IDK....

SCT has a bus map which, as a side project, I tried to see if I could make better, but the problem is the routes themselves are literal spaghetti all over the place.

MTA's bus maps, in general, suffer from poor hierarchy. The bus services are all drawn the same regardless of how they actually serve people even though, say, the Q1 shows up much less frequently than the Q43 and you could reach any destination on the former with a five minute walk from the latter. Looking at express buses is even more confusing; you can't look at the Queens Bus Map and make sense of the express route routings around QCM, for example. And then the MTA has decided to take it upon itself to essentially make a street atlas and list every irrelevant street, which helps to clutter up the whole thing.

SCT has a bus map which, as a side project, I tried to see if I could make better, but the problem is the routes themselves are literal spaghetti all over the place.

MTA's bus maps, in general, suffer from poor hierarchy. The bus services are all drawn the same regardless of how they actually serve people even though, say, the Q1 shows up much less frequently than the Q43 and you could reach any destination on the former with a five minute walk from the latter. Looking at express buses is even more confusing; you can't look at the Queens Bus Map and make sense of the express route routings around QCM, for example. And then the MTA has decided to take it upon itself to essentially make a street atlas and list every irrelevant street, which helps to clutter up the whole thing.

Yeah, an atlas & essentially, a tourist map....

I wouldn't want to get into drawing the lines any bigger or smaller on a map of this magnitude though (if that's what you're ultimately alluding to w/ the Q1/Q43 example)...

As far as the QCM area, well that's yet another area that needs an inset... It took them a stupid amount of time to finally come out with one for LIC/QBP, so I won't hold my breath for one for one for Rego Park/Elmhurst.....

I personally enjoy the MTA bus maps, but I do see the issues. But, having most roads listed there I find to be very helpful, especially if I know what intersection I'm going to, just gotta find the nearest route. But of course, I can't know how often it is... Maybe the MTA should just attach the map schedule they put out on the same PDF as the map.

avZabWe.png
So this is an illustration of what a stripped down, clean map would look like. Obviously it would have route labels or some points of interest, but this is the bones of it.

My other problem with the maps is where they are located; bus maps should be located, at the very least, in bus shelters at major transfer points, but instead they are often placed on the buses themselves in places that are very hard to see, and sometimes the ones on the buses aren't even for the correct borough.

Archived