Countdown clocks are active on the R line

Finally. Oddly enough, as of this post, the entire IRT system is currently down. Guess they can't handle both systems simultaneously.  :P 

Everything's down on my end except for the (L) line on the old SubwayTime http://apps.mta.info/traintime/desktop_Rev5.html

The new SubwayTime doesn't work at all for me right now, and even when it did I had to use the touchscreen on my PC to scroll up and down. It's obviously not a finished product by any means.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything's down on my end except for the (L) line on the old SubwayTime http://apps.mta.info/traintime/desktop_Rev5.html

The new SubwayTime doesn't work at all for me right now, and even when it did I had to use the touchscreen on my PC to scroll up and down. It's obviously not a finished product by any means.

The subway app is the worst.  Try using it during rush hour.  It refreshes once and then kaput... Nothing... 

If you play with the link, you will find there exists pages of arrival time for other letter lines (just not the whole line of course)

e.g.

(A)http://apps.mta.info/traintime2/#/app/stations/a

(B)http://apps.mta.info/traintime2/#/app/stations/b

(C)http://apps.mta.info/traintime2/#/app/stations/c

can you see arrival times? I can't.  

The subway app is the worst.  Try using it during rush hour.  It refreshes once and then kaput... Nothing...

if it the Internet connection lasts it refreshes every 5-10 seconds.

if it the Internet connection lasts it refreshes every 5-10 seconds.

I've had it on in my office with my desktop and even then it won't work.  On my cell it's the same thing and I have pretty new phone and Verizon offers pretty good coverage.  It seems like if it becomes even slightly busy it goes down.  

That's something you should file a complaint about. They're not thinking about the riders. They just place them wherever.

A good example is Broadway Junction on the (A)(C). The stairs to the platforms are on the east end, the sign on the Manhattan bound platform is way up by the conductor indication board blocked by a "No Exit" sign.

Unless, it's there to let the conductor make decisions on whether to hold doors for stragglers if the next train is in 15 mins or transfers if a train is 1 min away, etc?

I have one better. Two words: Rockefeller Center. Anyone who's been at that station knows there are about a thousand entrances. In their infinite wisdom, there is only one mezzanine display at the entrance closest to 49th Street and two platform displays on the southern end of each platform. While the system is not yet active for the 6th Avenue line, I hope that whenever real-time data gets turned on, Transit utilizes the On The Go displays as well. Otherwise most people won't realize there are actually working countdown clocks in their stations.

Cool. 

Isn't most of the Rockefeller Center complex private property? You'd have to take it up with them.

In other cities businesses often stump up for screens showing real time info for nearby buses and trains. I'm surprised it isn't more common here.

Isn't most of the Rockefeller Center complex private property? You'd have to take it up with them.

In other cities businesses often stump up for screens showing real time info for nearby buses and trains. I'm surprised it isn't more common here.

Even so what does that have to do with the actual subway?  That mezzanine level is so hideous, old and awkward. If it was part of the complex, I'm sure it would've been renovated by now.  I hate everything about that station.  I don't understand the layout of that thing at all.  You can come up from the platform and think that you're still in the system only to have to swipe again to continue walking down the mezzanine.  

Even so what does that have to do with the actual subway?  That mezzanine level is so hideous, old and awkward. If it was part of the complex, I'm sure it would've been renovated by now.  I hate everything about that station.  I don't understand the layout of that thing at all.  You can come up from the platform and think that you're still in the system only to have to swipe again to continue walking down the mezzanine.  

If most of the entrances are actually private property, I don't know how much leeway the MTA has in installing equipment in those areas.

IIRC the MTA actually tries not to install countdown clocks at the entrances themselves, because they don't want to encourage people making that last dash for the train in case they end up tripping down the stairs, hurting themselves and suing the MTA.

If most of the entrances are actually private property, I don't know how much leeway the MTA has in installing equipment in those areas.

IIRC the MTA actually tries not to install countdown clocks at the entrances themselves, because they don't want to encourage people making that last dash for the train in case they end up tripping down the stairs, hurting themselves and suing the MTA.

Thats hilarious. As if falling down the stairs isn't your own damn fault :D

If you read the signs above the stairs, its rather simple. The northern stairs are for 48th, 49th and 50th Streets and the southern stairs are for 47th and 48th Streets. 

In any event, the whole one sign per mezzanine thing is not going to cut it.

If you read the signs above the stairs, its rather simple. The northern stairs are for 48th, 49th and 50th Streets and the southern stairs are for 47th and 48th Streets. 

In any event, the whole one sign per mezzanine thing is not going to cut it.

That's not what I'm talking about.  My point is if someone wants to walk underground at that station, they shouldn't have to swipe again to do so.  Once you leave the platform and walk to the mezzanine, you have to remember to come up at a certain exit, otherwise, you're forced to go above ground or swipe again. The mezzanine is several blocks long and it's the only station that seems to be set up that way. I can walk around at the Bryant Park station and only swipe once to do so.  

That's not what I'm talking about.  My point is if someone wants to walk underground at that station, they shouldn't have to swipe again to do so.  Once you leave the platform and walk to the mezzanine, you have to remember to come up at a certain exit, otherwise, you're forced to go above ground or swipe again. The mezzanine is several blocks long and it's the only station that seems to be set up that way. I can walk around at the Bryant Park station and only swipe once to do so.  

Well that's because Bryant Park only has exits at the ends. If it had a 41st Street exit, it would be the same layout as Rockefeller Center. I'd imagine the only way to rectify that is remove the 48th Street exits completely 

Well that's because Bryant Park only has exits at the ends. If it had a 41st Street exit, it would be the same layout as Rockefeller Center. I'd imagine the only way to rectify that is remove the 48th Street exits completely 

Yeah it's a stupid layout.  Also makes no sense to so few countdown clocks there given the size of the station.

To add on to that list, (J) and (Z) both don't work yet and while all stops are listed on the (B) and (D), there's no data south of Prospect Park or 50th Street.

So does this mean that the countdown clocks at those stations are working as well?

The slowest.....train.....on......earth.....finally....gets....countdown....clocks.... The people that use that line should throw a cocktail party or something. Celebrate!  :lol:

I wonder about the accuracy then. The algorithms surely must take into account the traffic conditions to calculate a good estimate.

This station ("A25") might be 42st-PABT on the 8ave, since "A24" is 59st-Columbus Circle, and the arrival times make sense.
http://apps.mta.info/traintime3/index.html#/app/subwaytime/a/A25

To add on to that list, (J) and (Z) both don't work yet and while all stops are listed on the (B) and (D), there's no data south of Prospect Park or 50th Street.

Oops I forgot (J)(Z)....thx for pointing it out.

sorry BMT Jamaica line  :P

Archived