Train derails at Brighton Beach; Q, B train service delayed, MTA says

rails warping in heat is not really something you can insulate against since is a property of the metal itself; every railroad experiences it from time to time.

I guess so, now that I think about it.

Do you think an alternative composite should be used to construct rail? Metal is vulnerable to age, and as we saw with Superstorm Sandy, very thicc* brine-induced corrosion.

Would fiberglass, MSPEC320/Gorilla Glass (a material used to buffer phones from drops) and other composites be a better fit so less parts are replaced, last longer, and endure natural disasters?

*intentional, for humor.

Oh god no. 

Those materials would fracture in daily service -- you wouldn't need to heat them or anything. Composites/glasses are great for things like airplanes, where loads are dynamic but not from impacts. They can't absorb shocks as well as steel, which can flex a bit to adapt to different loading/environmental conditions. 

Steel is currently the best material for the job. Remember that carbon is already a part of the composition, which is what gives the steel its strength. The amount of carbon in the steel is controlled by tight specifications and quality processes, and is actually limited to a maximum amount so the steel doesn't become brittle.

The Japanese still use steel, and they're considered at the technological edge of railroading. We'll never see their superior rail on our system due to Buy America, but it's practically a staple in all the freight railroads.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Steel is currently the best material for the job. Remember that carbon is already a part of the composition, which is what gives the steel its strength. The amount of carbon in the steel is controlled by tight specifications and quality processes, and is actually limited to a maximum amount so the steel doesn't become brittle.

The Japanese still use steel, and they're considered at the technological edge of railroading. We'll never see their superior rail on our system due to Buy America, but it's practically a staple in all the freight railroads.

Carbon in steel is actually quite different than carbon as nanotubes. The use of steel is also due to costs of manufacturing.

You would hope that the MTA's equipment would be rated to run properly up to ~110-120 degrees, not 90 degrees. The temperature yesterday wasn't comfortable but it shouldn't have been anywhere near the limit for subway equipment.

Rail under direct sunlight can reach temperatures up to 40 degrees above ambient. Many railroads have protocol to look out for track issues when the temperature hits 95 degrees, and they'll reduce traffic or operating speeds if a rail temperature is recorded above a specified number, around 120 or so.

After all, Prendergast couldn't say no to the Governor unilaterally declaring subway service closed for the snowstorms, he couldn't say no when Cuomo gave the LIRR unions everything they wanted before a LIRR strike, etc.

And to me, Cuomo ordering the subways closed, while it didn't help Trump in New York and New Jersey may have indirectly helped Trump win other states (most notably Wisconsin and Michigan) where those on Wall Street probably put money into campaigns that went harder against Hillary they they would have otherwise to get back at Cuomo for that shutdown (as the Dow lost 275 points on a day many were unable to get to their desks as a result of that shutdown).  My view was that some on Wall Street had very long memories and waited almost two full years to legally get back at Cuomo by helping the GOP win races they might not otherwise have won (I don't include Pennsylvania in this because I believe the SEPTA strike one week before the election there caused those who had their commutes and work schedules severely altered during that strike to in many cases change their vote to Trump to get back at SEPTA workers for striking). 

Rail under direct sunlight can reach temperatures up to 40 degrees above ambient. Many railroads have protocol to look out for track issues when the temperature hits 95 degrees, and they'll reduce traffic or operating speeds if a rail temperature is recorded above a specified number, around 120 or so.

That makes sense.  I have dealt with slowed trains myself during this recent heatwave. 

And to me, Cuomo ordering the subways closed, while it didn't help Trump in New York and New Jersey may have indirectly helped Trump win other states (most notably Wisconsin and Michigan) where those on Wall Street probably put money into campaigns that went harder against Hillary they they would have otherwise to get back at Cuomo for that shutdown (as the Dow lost 275 points on a day many were unable to get to their desks as a result of that shutdown).  My view was that some on Wall Street had very long memories and waited almost two full years to legally get back at Cuomo by helping the GOP win races they might not otherwise have won (I don't include Pennsylvania in this because I believe the SEPTA strike one week before the election there caused those who had their commutes and work schedules severely altered during that strike to in many cases change their vote to Trump to get back at SEPTA workers for striking). 

That makes sense.  I have dealt with slowed trains myself during this recent heatwave. 

Cuomo is such a d_fill_with_letters_of_your_choice_ that I can’t see any worse coming from a Governor. Let’s see if your bets are on-point or if you’ve got your blinkers on again.

The local media meant to say Sheepshead Bay, not Brighton Beach.

I  seriously doubt if the reporters who covered the story know the difference between Sheepshead Bay and Brighton Beach, let alone the difference between a B and a Q train. 

Judging by the location of the derailment, it's technically past the Sheepshead Bay station and closer to the Brighton Beach area/station, so it makes sense.

Archived