•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

MTA Chairman Announces Sweeping $836 Million Plan to Stabilize Subway System

68 replies to this topic

#1 Lance

Lance
    • Senior Moderator
    • 4,924 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:00 PM

subway+mess.jpg
    MTA Chairman Joe Lhota has announced an immediate $836 million subway stabilization plan that will include sweeping repairs and cleaning of subway trains and stations, added personnel, and longer trains, more countdown clocks and clearer service updates.
     "The subway system is no doubt in distress and we're here for solutions," Lhota said at the MTA headquarters Tuesday.
     Stabilizing the problem-plagued subway will be Phase One of the overall plan. Phase Two will be modernizing it -- "get it out of the late 19th century and get it into the 21st century quickly," according to Lhota.

Read more: Source

More Information: Source

Edited by Lance, 25 July 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#2 danielhg121

danielhg121
    • PipPip
    • 768 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

What is this longer train solution they’re posing? It would only work for the (G).

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

#3 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,073 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

Good now it's de Blasio's turn to zip his big mouth and open up the wallet.  <_<

What is this longer train solution they’re posing? It would only work for the  (G).

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It seems pretty clear to me.  I don't know why they didn't have full cars on the © to begin with...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 25 July 2017 - 03:05 PM.

BxM18-RIVERDALE_zps0a9279a4.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#4 DJ TORO

DJ TORO
    • Pip
    • 57 posts
    • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:15 PM

What is this longer train solution they’re posing? It would only work for the (G).

The C as well

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,351 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

I don't know why they didn't have full cars on the © to begin with...

The © doesn't have the ridership for full 10 car trains. 8 is perfectly fine for that line.

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

giphy.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#6 danielhg121

danielhg121
    • PipPip
    • 768 posts
    • LocationNew york

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:17 PM

Oh yea......that other train...overshadowed by the express

#7 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,073 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

The © doesn't have the ridership for full 10 car trains. 8 is perfectly fine for that line.

Well apparently the (MTA) thinks it does, which is why the article notes that they're adding cars to the ©.  It actually does get pretty crowded at times.  What I've been noticing is more and more people stay on the local to get to 125th and above, and now they're actually crowded, so that means the (A) and (D) are not performing as well as they should, or people find them too crowded or both.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 25 July 2017 - 03:42 PM.

BxM18-RIVERDALE_zps0a9279a4.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#8 Around the Horn

Around the Horn
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 6,351 posts
    • LocationAcross the Verrazano from Shaolin Land...

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:33 PM

Well apparently the (MTA) thinks it does, which is why the article they're adding cars to the ©

Ah, but there's one problem with that, which they apparently overlooked...

1. we've had a car shortage in the B Division since 2010 and 2. We don't have extra NTT B cars sitting around to expand © trains.

"Most surely in the creation of the heavens and the earth and the alteration of night and day, and the ships that run in the sea with that which profits men, and the changing of the winds and clouds made subservient between the heavens and the earth, there are signs for a people who understand"

"We can disagree and still love each other unless your disagreement is rooted in oppression and denial of my right to exist." James Baldwin

giphy.gif

"Mercury melted when the Sun rose,The storm struck when the heart sighed "I can't live without someone from the heart"-Dil Se

#9 RR503

RR503
    • Pip
    • 375 posts
    • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

I have a feeling that this will be either rolled into the order for 211s or somehow tacked onto the 179 contract (if such a thing is even possible)...

On the whole, I thought his solutions were detailed, well thought out and practical. He also acknowledged the politics of it all which I give him credit for.

SOS -- Save Our Subways!

#10 MTA Bus

MTA Bus
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPip
    • 1,046 posts
    • LocationA concrete jungle where dreams are made of

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

The © train gets pretty crowded actually, so I'm all for this plan. My only question is where are the cars coming from?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Q21Q-Lex63Nxt_zpsf12660ac.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news