Procedure for suspended trains already in service

Juelz4309

I wanna kno how this works...Perfect example with the derailment at 125/st nich..then again with the 145 st track fire. They say the "B" and "C" are suspended for its ENTIRE route.

My question is what happens to those Dozens of trains ALREADY in service? Like wat happens to the northbound B train that just left prospect Pk? Or the Northboud C train that just left 23 st?? Do they all just stop n stay? How do all these trains get "cleared" so to speak?

Do they all get reversed and sent to their respected yards? Just always been curious about this especially since its been happening so much lately..I appreciate the Insight

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

While I cannot give you a definitive answer as I don't work for the TA and therefore am not in the know, trains already in service will likely either continue to the nearest terminal or go out of service at the next stop depending on the location and severity of the incident. It's more likely that the trains will be diverted elsewhere to prevent even more congestion down the line and allow trains to return back to their starting points. That's why you'll sometimes see a (B) train diverted up Broadway or a (C) train that winds up on Queens Blvd. While the incident is on Central Park West in this scenario, service on 8th Avenue, Fulton St and the Brighton line need to continue regardless. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just reporting my findings I've seen over the years.

While I cannot give you a definitive answer as I don't work for the TA and therefore am not in the know, trains already in service will likely either continue to the nearest terminal or go out of service at the next stop depending on the location and severity of the incident. It's more likely that the trains will be diverted elsewhere to prevent even more congestion down the line and allow trains to return back to their starting points. That's why you'll sometimes see a (B) train diverted up Broadway or a (C) train that winds up on Queens Blvd. While the incident is on Central Park West in this scenario, service on 8th Avenue, Fulton St and the Brighton line need to continue regardless. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in. I'm just reporting my findings I've seen over the years.

Yep it depends on the incident/issue. Sometimes they would have those (B)(C) Trains thats already on the road remain in service all the way up and there's also times where they will take them OOS at the next station and would deadhead those trains. It really depends on what the issue is.

My question is if service is down for a long time terminals can only store 4 trains.what do you do with the rest?

In the cause with the derailment at 125th I was in the station at 145th southbound when that happened. I dumped and secure my train with handbrakes in the station as there was no where for me to go. Whatever can get back to the yard will go. They will also just store light trains in the tunnels in that case as well.

Archived