Blame the Assengers too!

I Run Trains

There was a times piece on it a week or so back -- lemme try to dig it up..

Edit: found it

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/opinion/new-york-commuter-tax.html?_r=0

One of the few things I agree with my Assemblyman (Assemblyman Dinowitz) about.  I may even write to him personally to tell him I support the idea of it being re-instated again because I should be.  If the people in Westchester and Long Island must use our services, then they should pay for the convenience of doing so.  They already benefit from jobs here in the city.

So let me get an understanding of what the circumstances are when you're late.... You aren't able to take lunch break or take a break ? What about the NYS Labor Laws??¿ and. C/Rs can't eat like a granola bar or something while the Train is moving. I mean you are by yourself in the cab. Some of the older trains like the R46s have seats to actually sit during the ride

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

So let me get an understanding of what the circumstances are when you're late.... You aren't able to take lunch break or take a break ? What about the NYS Labor Laws??¿ and. C/Rs can't eat like a granola bar or something while the Train is moving. I mean you are by yourself in the cab. Some of the older trains like the R46s have seats to actually sit during the ride

So let me get an understanding of what the circumstances are when you're late.... You aren't able to take lunch break or take a break ?

Sometimes no you are in and out it happens...

Yet if you have to go to the bathroom they cant say "No".

What about the NYS Labor Laws?

What about them?

C/Rs can't eat like a granola bar or something while the Train is moving. I mean you are by yourself in the cab. Some of the older trains like the R46s have seats to actually sit during the ride 

Against the Rules to eat in the Cab...

Having  a seat in the Cab has nothing to do with this.

When I moved to Riverdale years ago, I thought oh great, I can use the subway sometimes to change things up, and you know what, I did sometimes, but you couldn't pay me now to take the (1) train in the morning because there is just severe overcrowding, and the (1) is becoming like the (4)(5) line where if there's one little hiccup, the line becomes a mess. As I said before, you have a lot more people using the subway in part because of escalating rents (even the rents in Yonkers while cheaper are still not that cheap). You combine the rising rents and rising Metro-North fares, and that in turn is pushing more people on to the subway who are looking to cut back on expenses.

Some are also switching because the express buses have been abysmal, though they've been better of late. It's hard to justify paying $13.00 a day and you can't get to work on time.

Then you have all of the people moving to Upper Manhattan where you previously didn't see all of these people working Downtown and elsewhere, and it's putting severe strain on the (1) line. I even have some people who live in Riverdale who have now switched to taking Metro-North because they can't deal with the overcrowding on the (1) line. It's a much higher fare, but they put up the extra money for the sense of sanity and how much better Metro-North is in terms of being on-time. In short there are a lot of reasons why service on the (1) has worsened, and the big issues aregentrification and deterioration of other services.

Which brings in another Question, if the (7) / <7> is using CBTC at this point then how come they can't send their R62A's to the (1) and and R142's/R142A's that are not in revenue service should go on the (1) to deal with this issue, or even better, Order R205/R205A's (CBTC equipped) which will be like an IRT version of the R211 and scram them into the (1) and (6) / <6> trains

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Sometimes no you are in and out it happens...

Yet if you have to go to the bathroom they cant say "No".

What about them?

Against the Rules to eat in the Cab...

Having a seat in the Cab has nothing to do with this.

I can't even eat a " Hungry , why wait " ( Snickers Bar) ? Wow. And when I asked about the labor laws it is required by state law that you receive at least a 30 min break for 6 hrs of work.

I can't even eat a " Hungry , why wait " ( Snickers Bar) ? Wow. And when I asked about the labor laws it is required by state law that you receive at least a 30 min break for 6 hrs of work.

You receive a " scheduled " lunch break but whenever everything falls apart that break goes out of the window. Train movement comes first. I can recall a six month pick where I had my scheduled lunch break FOUR days. The labor law you're speaking of has many exceptions and the (MTA) subways are one of the best examples. BTW every time I missed my scheduled lunch I was paid for not having lunch. It was lucrative but I can think of better ways to lose weight. Carry on.

You receive a " scheduled " lunch break but whenever everything falls apart that break goes out of the window. Train movement comes first. I can recall a six month pick where I had my scheduled lunch break FOUR days. The labor law you're speaking of has many exceptions and the (MTA) subways are one of the best examples. BTW every time I missed my scheduled lunch I was paid for not having lunch. It was lucrative but I can think of better ways to lose weight. Carry on.

LMAO! 

How can anyone think of lunch in an MTA break room when you're in the company of a dead body? With that lost appetite I'd shed forty pounds in a fortnight.

I've been in IRT crew rooms at 239th St Yard and Livonia Yard where a supervisor showed us photos of dead, maimed bodies from assorted 12-9 incidents over the years. I don't recall anyone, male or female, protesting the presentation even though some of us were eating. Come out here and " pound the road" on the subways or railroads and it's possible one might find themselves in a position where it's not a photo but the real deal. You learn to be somewhat callous after seeing or being involved in these types of incidents. Welcome to the real world. Carry on.

Since a lot of y'all like to complain about the train service , and train being late and blame the (MTA) for everything and Blah Blah Blah! Let me Tell you about my second trip today!

I left VC on the (1) on time today as always! and the Nonsense starts at 231 where my train is packed and it continues all the way down 96 st. Needless to say i fell behind and was running late. And i have RCC harassing me talking bout some "I there a reason why your late!"... But i do what i do best! IGNORE THEM FOR ASKING ME THAT DUMB ASS QUESTION DURING THE MIDDLE OF RUSH HOUR! My C/R answers them say heavy ridership.

Fastforward. When i get to 110 RCC tells me after 96st, 72, 59, 42, 34, 14. They gonna try to put me back in place.

I pull into 103rd and I'm behind held for what ever reason but then this lady is irate banging on my window. I pull the window down and the last is yelling at me "WHY YOU LATE, WHY THIS, WHY THAT, IM LATE FOR WORK" and then i hear my conductor trying to close the doors, but somebody is holding the doors on a already crowded train!

I just stuck my head out the window and replied "You see that dude over there holding the doors so more people can squeeze on the train? that been doing on since 231st at every station so we can't get in and out like we suppose to and keep schedule, So go tell him to stop holding the door so we can leave." i know i annoyed her with my reply because she mumbled something as i closed my window.

Now i know i didn't have to post this and don't owe anybody an explanation on my job,

But i posted this because 90% of the complaints in here are about the (MTA) should could or need to do..

BUT i rarely see blame being put on the passengers and they add on to the madness as well!

Understand some of us don't wanna be late because it cuts into our personal time especially lunch!

Late clear its a different story LoL!

ok I'm done with my lil vent... gotta go do my last trip!

Amen to that!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

LOL i just love some of these internet lawyers train workers EMS Firefighters Police....

Good Post TrainMaster...

How can anyone think of lunch in an MTA break room when you're in the company of a dead body? With that lost appetite I'd shed forty pounds in a fortnight.

You totally missed the Point here..

Me, I would eat a big meal before my shift knowing I might not have a chance to eat again for up to 12 hours (or if I do, maybe a slim-fast bar that is a meal substitute at most).  That I would take into account.

I've been in IRT crew rooms at 239th St Yard and Livonia Yard where a supervisor showed us photos of dead, maimed bodies from assorted 12-9 incidents over the years. I don't recall anyone, male or female, protesting the presentation even though some of us were eating. Come out here and " pound the road" on the subways or railroads and it's possible one might find themselves in a position where it's not a photo but the real deal. You learn to be somewhat callous after seeing or being involved in these types of incidents. Welcome to the real world. Carry on.

you guys have guts of steel. I applaud that.

Be careful what you say Amen to. I don't even think that's right regarding the bodies. Why aren't they handled properly?

I could understand why some may do unexpected overtime with the reason being that there are so many delays. That time adds up

I'm going to leave this here and wait for the responses. Friday evening and a deceased person is discovered on a n/b express at 86th Street Lexington. P.M. rush hour. NYC protocol says to wait for the coroner's truck to arrive at the scene to investigate. Naturally you railfans and the regular passengers don't want that to happen because ALL n/b Lexington express service would shutdown. Would you rather have the body removed from the scene ASAP or wait until the coroner's truck arrives? Should the body be removed from the train and secluded somewhere in the station? I'm describing a true incident. I was heading s/b and picked up a TSS at 125th Street and took him to the scene. He told me that there was only one coroner's truck on duty in upper Manhattan on a Friday night and a wait of 2 or 3 hours was anticipated. How would you clear up the delay? I'm curious to see the responses. I'll let you know what happened in a little while. Carry on.

I'm going to leave this here and wait for the responses. Friday evening and a deceased person is discovered on a n/b express at 86th Street Lexington. P.M. rush hour. NYC protocol says to wait for the coroner's truck to arrive at the scene to investigate. Naturally you railfans and the regular passengers don't want that to happen because ALL n/b Lexington express service would shutdown. Would you rather have the body removed from the scene ASAP or wait until the coroner's truck arrives? Should the body be removed from the train and secluded somewhere in the station? I'm describing a true incident. I was heading s/b and picked up a TSS at 125th Street and took him to the scene. He told me that there was only one coroner's truck on duty in upper Manhattan on a Friday night and a wait of 2 or 3 hours was anticipated. How would you clear up the delay? I'm curious to see the responses. I'll let you know what happened in a little while. Carry on.

Well, I'd have more than one coroner's truck on duty in Upper Manhattan in the first place...

Ideally, wait for the coroner, but given the 2 to 3 hour wait time they probably chose to move it.

Since 86th Street happens to be a two-level station, if possible what I would do is close off the express level entirely and deal with the (4)(5) and (6) all running local in both directions, sending as many (5) trains as possible via 7th Avenue to cut down on the number of trains overall there. 

Edit:  Also started a new "What If?" thread with this to start since the old version of that topic seems to have gone by the wayside.

Around the Horn I'm with you on the one coroner's truck on duty in upper Manhattan on a Friday night. The TSS and the NYPD senior officer in charge made the determination that NO criminality occurred at the scene. The TSS and the officer took the discharged train to 138th Street middle on the (6) line and waited for the coroner's truck up there. BOTH supervisors were second guessed and critiqued for their actions that night. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Better to walk in another's shoes before spouting off criticism about another person's job performance. BTW Wallyhorse your solution is the correct one but it doesn't help those passengers stuck on trains between Grand Central and 86th on the express track. Carry on

Since 86th Street happens to be a two-level station, if possible what I would do is close off the express level entirely and deal with the (4)(5) and (6) all running local in both directions, sending as many (5) trains as possible via 7th Avenue to cut down on the number of trains overall there. 

Edit:  Also started a new "What If?" thread with this to start since the old version of that topic seems to have gone by the wayside (that link was removed).

Union Turnpike found the old thread, so I moved this there, use this link for this (this link replaces the other one).

Just a note for all you history buffs, not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but previous NYCTA/NYPD protocol was simply to transport the bodies (in bags) in in-service subway cars to the location of the morgue or holding area. You'd have a car of standees where one of the standees was inside a bag, held up by a few cops. At stations the cops would clear out the area where the body needed to be carried, and the transport would proceed on the platform. Pretty grizzly, but got the job done. Maybe that's what Samuelsen wants! Still don't get why he complained about this to de Blasio, who doesn't control the subways, as opposed to Cuomo, who picks the people in charge and does, but I guess that's politics.

Archived