Blame the Assengers too!

I Run Trains

I remember I got burned just a few days ago when my n/b (R) pulled into 59th. The (N) was sitting right across the platform and I just manage to see the split second before the doors closed completely. Mad empty seats. That’s the type of shit that gets me tight. Had to wait for the next (N) which turned out to be a R68A which had to carry 2 (R) loads which was still okay.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The (1) USED to be best line the system, but that's all been changed by rapid gentrification.  Too many damn people running to Upper Manhattan and too many people from Yonkers using our damn system.  The amount of people from Yonkers using the (1) line is insane.  They move to Yonkers for cheaper rents, then refuse to use Metro-North and all run to the subway.  They should be charged more.  That would alleviate some of this overcrowding because that's what is going on.  They do the same thing with our express buses.  They don't want to pay the higher Metro-North fare, so they all run to the express bus when the subway is down overcrowding the buses. This is one reason I support a commuter tax in some instances. Too many of these suburban people are using city services, and they need to be taxed for it so that we can run more service for people that actually live in NYC!

Should there be laws regulating who is allowed to live in which neighborhoods and use which trains? That wouldn't work very well, would it.

As for a commuter tax, there is a State law which bans the City from having a commuter tax (although Yonkers and the State itself are still allowed to). 

Should there be laws regulating who is allowed to live in which neighborhoods and use which trains? That wouldn't work very well, would it.

As for a commuter tax, there is a State law which bans the City from having a commuter tax (although Yonkers and the State itself are still allowed to).

They are causing overcrowding on the line. Point blank. They should be contributing more. These are City services that they are benefitting from. They move to Yonkers purposely for the cheaper rents so they have access to the subway. It's BS. I'm sure you would be crying foul if all of the Long Islanders near the Queens border all drove to the (7) train leading to crowding.

Quick story. I was on a (F) train in which a rider ran to and held the door as it was closing so they could board. The conductor then made an announcement saying that "holding the door delays trains". At the next station the train was held in the station by the train dispatcher....  :rolleyes:

They are causing overcrowding on the line. Point blank. They should be contributing more. These are City services that they are benefitting from. They move to Yonkers purposely for the cheaper rents so they have access to the subway. It's BS. I'm sure you would be crying foul if all of the Long Islanders near the Queens border all drove to the (7) train leading to crowding.

Long Islanders living near the Queens border never drive to the (7) because Downtown Flushing is already congested to begin with. They either ride the LIRR into Penn, or put up with the NICE bus to get to Main Street and then transfer for the (7). The people aren't really benefiting from city services because the buses and subways aren't as good as other make it out to be.

Long Islanders living near the Queens border never drive to the (7) because Downtown Flushing is already congested to begin with. They either ride the LIRR into Penn, or put up with the NICE bus to get to Main Street and then transfer for the (7). The people aren't really benefiting from city services because the buses and subways aren't as good as other make it out to be.

I knew that Long Islanders don't use the subway like that, but that's my point. You have the LIRR and most residents use that. These people in Yonkers don't. They pack up the damn subways and they should pay more to do so. These are City services for City residents.

I knew that Long Islanders don't use the subway like that, but that's my point. You have the LIRR and most residents use that. These people in Yonkers don't. They pack up the damn subways and they should pay more to do so. These are City services for City residents.

If more people in Yonkers used MNRR, your trains would be more crowded.

It's City residents using city services who are causing the subways to be crowded. People living outside of city lines who utilize the subway make up a small minority of the riding public.

And while YOU may have left on time, is it possible the previous train left stations ahead of schedule or did not run at all, causing the gaps that caused the overcrowding that was made worse by people holding the doors?

I remember one time in the early '80s when I was on a (4) or (5) at Grand Central when the conductor refused to open the doors when someone was holding a door on one car and EVERYONE it seems was running to get to that one door, eventually leading as I remember to that train being taken out of service entirely.

Back up, how OLD are you?

What if the C/R closes the door even though he/she knows there is a train about to open its doors across the platform?

There are times (commission hours) where you have to close the doors and if the folks miss the train oh well...

Other times (as a poster said) it's courtesy..

As long as you keep the doors open for the required amount of time that's what they look for...

We aren't uber we aren't taxi service or limo service, we have a schedule to keep and as per rule book we have to do our best to follow it...

Conductors should be able to shame passengers who hold the doors "Hey you in the forth car let go of the door"

Against the rules to say it that way improper announcement...

CRs can get written up for that.

Quick story. I was on a (F) train in which a rider ran to and held the door as it was closing so they could board. The conductor then made an announcement saying that "holding the door delays trains". At the next station the train was held in the station by the train dispatcher....  :rolleyes:

That's supervision and there are always reasons why they can hold us....

That's not a delay since the reason why is passed down the line...

Schedule adjustment...

Can’t RCC tell them to hold the train for a few seconds longer though? I know we always wait at Atlantic-Barclays for the (R). They even have the courtesy announcement. To be courteous to our following passengers and providing same service, we are awaiting a connection across the platform.

Can’t RCC tell them to hold the train for a few seconds longer though? I know we always wait at Atlantic-Barclays for the (R). They even have the courtesy announcement. To be courteous to our following passengers and providing same service, we are awaiting a connection across the platform.

Like RTOMan said, trains have to keep moving as they have schedules to follow. They can't always hold trains for everyone.

I love RCC asking what's causing the delay during rush. How many times is that asked on the radio on a given day? It makes me wonder if it's protocol for them to ask

It's a managerial thing that isn't limited to one type of job. You see these types of people everywhere asking the same asinine questions, especially in retail. It must be a part of the job description or something.

To address the prevailing issue at hand, the train crew only has control of their train and that's a tentative control at best. Using the original example, they cannot do much to prevent riders from holding doors open. The best they can do is tell said door holder to stop; they sure as hell cannot kick the rider off the train, not without causing an incident which will undoubtedly delay the train even further. More to the point, the train crews certainly have no control over the signal malfunctions, stalled trains or whatever other random incidents that cause a significant portion of the delays.

It's City residents using city services who are causing the subways to be crowded. People living outside of city lines who utilize the subway make up a small minority of the riding public.

That's likely true of Long Islanders, but plenty of people from lower Westchester come down to use City subways, and they especially use the (1) train.

If more people in Yonkers used MNRR, your trains would be more crowded.

There's plenty of room on most trains.  Yonkers riders have a plethora of Hudson line trains to choose from.  In fact in terms of crowding, the Hudson Line is the best out of the three. 

It bites yes but as i stated we have a schedule to follow...

That's likely true of Long Islanders, but plenty of people from lower Westchester come down to use City subways, and they especially use the (1) train.

There's plenty of room on most trains.  Yonkers riders have a plethora of Hudson line trains to choose from.  In fact in terms of crowding, the Hudson Line is the best out of the three. 

Many Western Nassau residents use NICE to get to the (E)(F) , (7) and (A) trains.

Not everyone In Yonkers lives near the MNRR, they also take the buses to the (4) as well. Those who need to take buses might as well take the subway, plus MNRR only goes to the east side, those who need the west side are using the (1). Makes no sense to pay two fare if someone needs the subway in Manhattan anyway.

And they also should pay more.  The LIRR overcharges Queens residents for the service to deter them from using the service, but they can use City services at a cheaper price and shouldn't pay more. BS.

Many LI'ers, Westchester/Hudson Valley and NJ Residents use the subway once in Manhattan. The NYers already pay enough, many already pay the MTA via Vehicle Registration Fees, Driver License Fees, Exorbitant tolls, Mobile phone service fee, (and other hidden taxes/fees). Employers pay the MCTMT.

MCTMT:  

Metropolitan commuter transportation mobility tax

The metropolitan commuter transportation mobility tax (MCTMT) is a tax imposed on certain employers and self-employed individuals engaging in business within the metropolitan commuter transportation district (MCTD). This department administers the tax for the Metropolitan Transportation Authority. The MCTD includes the counties of New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Kings (Brooklyn), Queens, Richmond (Staten Island), Rockland, Nassau, Suffolk, Orange, Putnam, Dutchess, and Westchester.

Many LI'ers, Westchester/Hudson Valley and NJ Residents use the subway once in Manhattan. The NYers already pay enough, many already pay the MTA via Vehicle Registration Fees, Driver License Fees, Exorbitant tolls, Mobile phone service fee, (and other hidden taxes/fees). Employers pay the MCTMT.

MCTMT:  

Metropolitan commuter transportation mobility tax

Yeah, and that's why folks in Queens shouldn't be paying ridiculous LIRR fares.  

Not everyone In Yonkers lives near the MNRR, they also take the buses to the (4) as well. Those who need to take buses might as well take the subway, plus MNRR only goes to the east side, those who need the west side are using the (1). Makes no sense to pay two fare if someone needs the subway in Manhattan anyway.

Of course they don't.  They live in the suburbs but want access to City services.  Give me a break. I'm sure they knew all of that when they went running out there. You don't move to the suburbs and then want access to transportation in the city. My main issue with it all is they're packing up the subways and there's no room for City residents.  There's something wrong with that, and if so many residents from Long Island and Westchester really need the subways so much, those counties should be paying the City more so that there's enough trains for them AND us.  I'm not wild about the BxM3 running to Yonkers, but it's my understanding that the city of Yonkers pays a subsidy for that service.  Same should apply for the subways.  

Against the rules to say it that way improper announcement...

CRs can get written up for that.

That added character to the subway, it made passengers laugh.

That's not a delay since the reason why is passed down the line...

Schedule adjustment...

Convenient. Not only were we held by the train dispatcher, we also were stopped between stations, we had a slower than usual journey to Roosevelt Ave. The door holding happened at 14th Street! 

Like RTOMan said, trains have to keep moving as they have schedules to follow. They can't always hold trains for everyone.

I can understand this during rush hours, but when trains are on 10-20 min headway, you can hold the train doors for 5 seconds. Especially when you're going to be sitting between stations, being held by the dispatcher, and crawling down the tracks at 10mph.

I've seen doors closed in passenger faces only for the train to sit there for almost 20 seconds before moving.

Then there's the waiting 15 mins for a train, you get on, someone runs and holds the door, the conductor speaks or plays "the announcement" and then before the next station the train stops because of "train traffic" it just seems like hogwash. 

Yeah, and that's why folks in Queens shouldn't be paying ridiculous LIRR fares.  

Of course they don't.  They live in the suburbs but want access to City services.  Give me a break. I'm sure they knew all of that when they went running out there. You don't move to the suburbs and then want access to transportation in the city. My main issue with it all is they're packing up the subways and there's no room for City residents.  There's something wrong with that, and if so many residents from Long Island and Westchester really need the subways so much, those counties should be paying the City more so that there's enough trains for them AND us.  I'm not wild about the BxM3 running to Yonkers, but it's my understanding that the city of Yonkers pays a subsidy for that service.  Same should apply for the subways.  

Nassau and Westchester have free transfers to/from the subway, they are like the 6th and 7th boroughs, you can't expect them NOT to use the free transfer.  Many city residents use those buses to reverse commute to the suburbs and to go to places like Yonkers Raceway.

Do you go to 242 St and see how many people getting off the (1) are getting on a Westchester bus? Maybe most of the crowding comes from Riverdale residents (since they are closer to the (1)).

Archived