Final Phase of M Line Overpass Reconstruction Begins September 2

Around the Horn

What doesn't make sense to me is that why won't the MTA use the upper level as a flying junction for northbound trains without demolishing the upper level??? If this was done, then Metropolitan bound (M) trains won't cross in front of Manhattan bound (J) trains, this should have been thought of years ago when the Myrtle Avenue EL was torn down south of Broadway

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Even if money was available, I would expect community protests.  You would probably have to "take" peoples' property and you would have trains squealing around a curve where trains never were before.  Some families would now have a train outside their window, and believe me, they wouldn't be too happy.    

Even if money was available, I would expect community protests. You would probably have to "take" peoples' property and you would have trains squealing around a curve where trains never were before. Some families would now have a train outside their window, and believe me, they wouldn't be too happy.

True, but something has to be done in some sort of way

True

Well, something needs to be adressed soon.

Nothing needs to be addressed.  The viaduct/current connection footprint is being rebuilt.  The decision has been made.  Therefore, there is no way another new connection via Lewis Ave. is going to be constructed.

I had noticed they hadn't even started working on the viaduct yet. Why are they waiting to finish one before starting the other? The viaduct is not supposed to be a second phase; it was a separate project that would take longer than the bridge, so I thought they would start together, and the bridge would simply be finished first, not one following the other.

Maybe they didn't start work because work trains had to bring supplies in to do the bridge replacement near FP Yard and they need that connection?

The R42's will be retired by the time the (M) shuttle has been halfway through the life span if it's service

Those trains are stranded in FP Yard today, then as of 9/2 are stranded for service between Met and Myrtle/Wycoff till the viaduct is rebuilt.  

So those R42's can't be retired till the work is done because replacement cars can't come in to FP Yard!

It seemed like that track replacements were before the shutdown, which also didn't seem to make sense. (But I was told that it was so the work trains could access the area).

Btu still, the tie bumpers and blocks on the switch are already in place, so it doesn't look like the viaduct was still being used for work trains to pass.

As with any GO, in order to get work trains into and out of the work area, the tie blocks and bumpers are simply moved for work train movements.

Well, they were still doing something that required a crane and a work train at Seneca Avenue about two weeks a

Tie blocks and bumpers WERE moved to get that equipment in.

So will the new M shuttle be single track?

No.  One train on each track going back and forth, each on a 10 minute headway.  Just one train overnight on a 20 minute headway.  12 cars needed with 12 cars spares.

Well, once school starts I'll be riding some R179's to school

They'll still retire at some point

They'll retire at some point but certainly not while they are being used on the M shuttle between Met and Myrtle/Wycoff.

True, but something has to be done in some sort of way

The current viaduct is being rebuilt.  Period.  No new connection by Lewis Ave.

Well, once school starts I'll be riding some R179's to school

"once school starts"

Does anyone else want to tell him?

yeah, no. The prototypes need to go through their 30 day passenger service acceptance tests first. that's 30 full days with no faults or issues. If the train gets at stuck door on day 29, then the clock restarts. then the production cars are delivered and start going through their own burn-in processes. 

"once school starts"

Does anyone else want to tell him?

yeah, no. The prototypes need to go through their 30 day passenger service acceptance tests first. that's 30 full days with no faults or issues. If the train gets at stuck door on day 29, then the clock restarts. then the production cars are delivered and start going through their own burn-in processes.

Well, either way, I take the (J) from Jamaica and sometimes the (C) to school (only if I have to) and I already know about the 30 Day acceptance test but still....

I'm going to Transit Tech so an R179 will eventually show up on those 2 lines

Archived