A new Transit Museum

LGA Link N Train

I would say either a walk-through museum on Shuttle platform 4 (with switches installed so additional shuttle trains can operate on tracks 1 and 3) or a renovation of some BMT Nassau St station like Canal or Chambers, using only one of the two platforms and rebuilding the track leads. If alternate train storage was available, then BMT Broadway - Canal St lower level would also be an option. It's important to keep it relatively close to the core of the city (Midtown / Downtown), and the costs of new tunnel construction seem prohibitive as to suggest a renovation of existing space.

Really? If you really want an answer: 76th Street.

I wonder if the MTA would ever disclose its existence or not. Chances are its an illuminati base now :P.

As for museum space, I have a few suggestions:

Lower level of City Hall, the dead-end stub express tracks at the upper level of Canal can store equipment not currently on exhibit

Extra inner tracks at Chambers

Recommission the abandoned eastern platform at Bowery for the a mini-museum, it will give the MTA an excuse to renovate that dump

Old south ferry outer loop

Build some visitor center in 207th Street yard

Recommission the old westernmost platform at Bowling Green for some mini-exhibit

Really? If you really want an answer: 76th Street.

You know what (I looked up the 76 Street Station last night) it was interesting, but you do know that there are other likely Canidates that would fit good for a transit museum, or even just a tiny exibhit (such as using tge old south ferry loop as an IRT museum) or even another Gallery Annex Store

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Van Wyck, Grand Central, and LIE too. Build a nice museum that would allow most, if not all of it's cars for display.

That would actually be a REALLY nice museum and a long one too, bit the whole point was to use existing infrastructure so that building a new Transit Museum would be cheaper and more effective to the general public

The outer loop at South Ferry and the former shuttle platform at Bowling Green can only hold five cars, so I'm not sure if it can be used. If Bowery is used, might as well open the other platform at Canal St while we're at it. However, using City Hall lower and a visitor center in 207 makes the most sense. 

If the South Ferry loops or the Bowling Green shuttle platform were used, the might as well call it the IRT Mini-Museum the Outer loop will display trains and the inner loop will be the Gallery Annex store, the shuttle platform could be used as a Special R110 exhibit, segregating that platform from the rest of the station

I'm not sure why it needs replacing. I still favor City Hall lower level or an unused platform in the Nassau St line. There aren't many unused spaces in the system, especially not closer to midtown and lower manhattan than the current location, and new construction of non-revenue tunnels is a waste of money.

I'm not sure why it needs replacing. I still favor City Hall lower level or an unused platform in the Nassau St line. There aren't many unused spaces in the system, especially not closer to midtown and lower manhattan than the current location, and new construction of non-revenue tunnels is a waste of money.

If City Hall became a transit museum, the (6) will either have to terminate somewhere else or the platform edge must be Sealed off in some sort of way.

As for unused space,let's see

*Bowery/Canal Streets

* 9 Avenue Lower level

* South Ferry loops

*Atlantic Avenue on the (L) there's an unused platform

* "76 Street" which is past Euclid

No where else I can think of

LGA Link, BMT Broadway City Hall would be used, not IRT Lex City Hall. You know, the one with the unused (except as storage) lower level.

South Ferry loops are used for nonrevenue moves of work equipment. And "76 St" was an april fools joke.

Atlantic L and 9 Ave D are open but much further away from most of the potential visitors.

Ignoring the point that the current location at Court St works fine as the museum, I can't really think of an existing place that is either not in the boondocks or completely unsuitable as a transit museum. Looking at the proposed locations in previous posts, I get the feeling most people here are simply thinking of using non-revenue tracks for the exhibits. The present museum uses not only the tracks at the former Court St station, but the mezzanine as well. I highly doubt Transit is willing to sacrifice in-use mezzanine space to house museum exhibits. Using that logic, we can rule out abandoned platforms like the lower level at City Hall or the loop platforms at South Ferry (which are technically still in service for turning (5) trains). We can also disqualify locations like 9 Avenue or Atlantic Av on the Canarsie line as they are simply too far away from everything to be a good draw for patronage. The current museum is right in the middle of Downtown Brooklyn near a multitude of subway and bus lines. Make the trip even longer and the amount of people willing to visit drops like a rock.

If the museum ever was to move from Court St, it would have to go to a well-trafficked area where it could still pull interest despite not being in its present prime location. Coney Island could work, as could Flushing Meadows. However, they would have purpose-built so as to not siphon space from the Coney Island or Jamaica yards.

Ignoring the point that the current location at Court St works fine as the museum, I can't really think of an existing place that is either not in the boondocks or completely unsuitable as a transit museum. Looking at the proposed locations in previous posts, I get the feeling most people here are simply thinking of using non-revenue tracks for the exhibits. The present museum uses not only the tracks at the former Court St station, but the mezzanine as well. I highly doubt Transit is willing to sacrifice in-use mezzanine space to house museum exhibits. Using that logic, we can rule out abandoned platforms like the lower level at City Hall or the loop platforms at South Ferry (which are technically still in service for turning (5) trains). We can also disqualify locations like 9 Avenue or Atlantic Av on the Canarsie line as they are simply too far away from everything to be a good draw for patronage. The current museum is right in the middle of Downtown Brooklyn near a multitude of subway and bus lines. Make the trip even longer and the amount of people willing to visit drops like a rock.

If the museum ever was to move from Court St, it would have to go to a well-trafficked area where it could still pull interest despite not being in its present prime location. Coney Island could work, as could Flushing Meadows. However, they would have purpose-built so as to not siphon space from the Coney Island or Jamaica yards.

And it's an issue we likely won't have for about 30 years or so, and only if you need to for instance have the SAS go through a new tunnel that would turn Court Street back into a regular station. 

Add another zero to that and you're closer to the approximate time when we'll have to worry about reusing Court St as an actual station. I have little faith we'll need to concern ourselves with a Brooklyn extension of Second Ave when it took us nearly a hundred years to get three stops to the Upper East Side.

Add another zero to that and you're closer to the approximate time when we'll have to worry about reusing Court St as an actual station. I have little faith we'll need to concern ourselves with a Brooklyn extension of Second Ave when it took us nearly a hundred years to get three stops to the Upper East Side.

What's funny is that when the 3 companies were unified, no one realized that Court Street could connect to the Montague Street tunnel

I have an idea for if the City Hall loop was used as a museum. Select (6) trains will transport tourists into the Museum or there will be an entrance from outside. The station itself would be an exhibit. The tracks where (6) trains loop will be guarded with NYTM staff and new protection barriers.

I have an idea for if the City Hall loop was used as a museum. Select (6) trains will transport tourists into the Museum or there will be an entrance from outside. The station itself would be an exhibit. The tracks where (6) trains loop will be guarded with NYTM staff and new protection barriers.

2 things you should have considered:

1. The museum hosts a variety of trains—not just A Division trains. City Hall cannot accommodate B Division trains, and even if it could, none of the tunnel structures leading to the station can.
  2. Trains are stored at the museum for display.

2 things you should have considered:

• The museum hosts a variety of trains—not just A Division trains. City Hall cannot accommodate B Division trains, and even if it could, none of the tunnel structures leading to the station can.
  • Trains are stored at the museum for display.
I know and I realized that directly after posting, the only other eligible candidate for a new museum is 9 Av or rebuilding part of the Culver Shuttle since 75' long cars are not allowed in the BMT eastern Division, that being Bowery/Canal Sts. Which in my opinion would do great for a walking museum

No wait let me take that back, the 75' long cars can enter Bowery/Canal by rebuilding a track connection with Nassau and the Manhattan Bridge

No the Eastern Div ( (J)(L)(M)(Z)) stations are too tight to fit 75-footers aka R46s. Also look at what Lance said...you need to also display the artifacts Bill and I mentioned...and I don't think it could be at an in-service mezzanine.

Well, where else,

*Roosevelt Avenue terminal or a new station past Second Avenue on Houston Street!!!!

Archived