Assemblyman Dinowitz calls for expanded Bx20 bus service

Via Garibaldi 8

Assemblyman calls for expanded Bx20 bus service
Posted: Aug 16, 2017 5:47 PM EDTUpdated: Aug 16, 2017 5:47 PM EDTice

RIVERDALE - State Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz (D-Bronx) is calling for the expansion of Bx20 bus service in Riverdale.

The bus currently rolls out just before 7 a.m. until 9:22 a.m. It picks up again a little after 3 p.m. and ends right before 8 p.m.

Dinowitz recently sent a letter to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority requesting the route's expansion. The MTA tells News 12 that it has the request and will be reaching out to Dinowitz.

In the meantime, Dinowitz says he often receives calls from Bronx residents who want an increase in service on the limited route.

"They should do a survey to find out how many people actually use this bus service," Dinowitz says.

Source: http://bronx.news12.com/story/36152361/assemblyman-calls-for-expanded-bx20-bus-service

IMO the Bx20's main purpose is to serve residents living in hilly Spuyten Duyvil. 

That's its main purpose.  That and to give residents in Spuyten Duyvil access to the (A). I posted this because this has been ongoing for almost three years now with the Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20.  I think the pressure needs to be kept on the (MTA) to force them to do more to make the line more reliable and also more noticeable.  I use it from time to time when I don't want to take the Metro-North link since it starts near to where I live up by 246th and Henry Hudson Parkway.  This morning I watched as several Bx10 buses run bunched up to 231st and Broadway.  Going to Riverdale, there were two Bx10s running together. Mind you it is the deadest time of the year in terms of schoolkids being out and you still have terrible bunching going on.  I think it's time to really force Cuomo to implement congestion pricing and force the (MTA)'s hand to do more than blow hot air. I for one am tired of hearing the same response, which is them talking about tracking their buses and so on.  We need a more aggressive approach to improving bus service starting with better dispatching and ensuring that buses are as prompt as possible.  

It seems every time a politician starts complaining, we see service improve slightly then go back down hill and that's been the main problem with bus service across the city.

You are right when it's unnoticeable. They should expand the service to midday hrs and evening hrs, but I wouldn't add weekend service. The Bx7 and Bx10 can and are sufficient enough to replace it on weekends.

Agree with that. It's not the most annoying thing, but I occasionally take this routing during midday and find in inconvenient to transfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right when it's unnoticeable. They should expand the service to midday hrs and evening hrs, but I wouldn't add weekend service. The Bx7 and Bx10 can and are sufficient enough to replace it on weekends.

I believe it ran previously on weekends, but quite frankly it isn't needed, at least from my observations.  However, if they aren't going to run more Bx10 and Bx7 service, then they should add more Bx20 service because there is still a serious overcrowding problem well past rush hour.  Even when buses come on time, the crowds from the subway still cause serious issues, even with dispatch being at 231st and Broadway.  They could even make the Bx1 more useful and run it to 246th to help out the Bx7 instead of the drivers trying to not pick up any passengers there, as I've witnessed a few times when I've taken the subway over there.

With 231 Street on the (1) now ADA compliant, is the case for expanded service on the Bx20 now gone? I doubt that many people from the Spuyten Duyvil area are trying to get to Harlem...mostly midtown and south, and for that, there is an ADA transfer possible at Columbus Circle. I do agree with expanded Bx1 service though, making it limited along 231 Street with alternate trips running to 246 Street via Spuyten Duyvil on weekdays only. Before the 2010 cuts, the Bx20 ran weekdays and Saturdays only.

With 231 Street on the (1) now ADA compliant, is the case for expanded service on the Bx20 now gone? I doubt that many people from the Spuyten Duyvil area are trying to get to Harlem...mostly midtown and south, and for that, there is an ADA transfer possible at Columbus Circle. I do agree with expanded Bx1 service though, making it limited along 231 Street with alternate trips running to 246 Street via Spuyten Duyvil on weekdays only. Before the 2010 cuts, the Bx20 ran weekdays and Saturdays only.

What does that station being ADA compliant have to do with the Bx20 seeing more service? You need to take a bus to reach that station and the (A) train at 207th which is what the Bx20 is mainly there for. I'm not sure what Harlem has to do with this either.

Not saying that I agree with him but I think he's saying that the Bx20 now connects to an ADA-accessible station so if riders really need the (A) they can transfer at 168th Street or just take the (1) all the way down since the stations are pretty close in Downtown & Midtown (before, the Bx20 to Inwood was the ONLY way for ADA riders to reach the subway from Spuyten Duyvil)

Not sure why he mentioned Harlem. Maybe because the (A) go to Harlem proper whIle the (1) serves Manhattanville & Hamilton Heights. Either that or maybe the connection to the M100.

Not saying that I agree with him but I think he's saying that the Bx20 now connects to an ADA-accessible station so if riders really need the (A) they can transfer at 168th Street or just take the (1) all the way down since the stations are pretty close in Downtown & Midtown (before, the Bx20 to Inwood was the ONLY way for ADA riders to reach the subway from Spuyten Duyvil)

Not sure why he mentioned Harlem. Maybe because the (A) go to Harlem proper whIle the (1) serves Manhattanville & Hamilton Heights. Either that or maybe the connection to the M100.

Riders aren't going to do that though.  No one wants to take the (1) to then transfer to the (A).  It's annoying and time consuming, especially given how many of the elevators are broken at 168th.  If the Bx20 weren't there, you'd also have a two-leg transfer, something else riders down in Spuyten Duyvil don't want to deal with, and I don't blame them. The Bx7, Bx10 and Bx20 all run horribly anyway and suffer from bunching, no matter the time of day or night.

• 2 weeks later...

Except the Bx20 - at least southbound -- doesn't connect easily to the 231 St. station. It stops 3 blocks away. People in Spuyten Duyvil who want the 1 train will take the Bx10.

Except the Bx20 - at least southbound -- doesn't connect easily to the 231 St. station. It stops 3 blocks away. People in Spuyten Duyvil who want the 1 train will take the Bx10.

If they really need the (1) train and don't want to walk, they can also take it to 225th Street (me personally, I would just get off 231st & Corlear and walk from there). 

If they really need the (1) train and don't want to walk, they can also take it to 225th Street (me personally, I would just get off 231st & Corlear and walk from there). 

That sounds great, but that sucks. Walking up that stupid hill, no shade and then walking down hill to schlepp up those stairs. No thanks. I tip my hat to the people that do that everyday but all of the transferring and up and down. It's a pain in the @ss and that's assuming everything runs smoothly. Often times those buses run in packs which means a long wait, then riding a packed bus. I've tried it a few times and I'm a sweaty mess by the time I get to work. The bus to the (1) then switch at 96th if you want the express and then switch once or twice more depending on where you're going.

Another thing I hate about those (1) train stations... No elevator. The only station with one is 231st and it's so slow that waiting isn't worth it. I'm shocked they didn't put one in at 242nd because it's a pain in the @ss taking those stairs just to fill the MetroCard, that's exacerbated because of all of the damn hills.

There are days when I hate just walking to the express bus. It's early in the morning and basically you either have to walk up hills or down hills to reach anything and sometimes I just want to walk on a flat street for once. I think that's one reason a lot of people move after a year. Depending on your location the commute becomes quite tiring physically, and a lot of people either work from home a few days a week or drive to work and I don't blame them. 

Archived