Power Failure Stops Several Trains For Hours Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: MTA

Via Garibaldi 8

Power Failure Stops Several Trains For Hours Between Manhattan and Brooklyn: MTA

subway+generic+fast.jpg

Subway service was restored Sunday hours after a power failure halted service on several lines between Manhattan and Brooklyn, officials said. 

There were no A, C and F trains running between the two boroughs for more than two hours on Sunday afternoon, the MTA said. 

A ConEd power failure at the Jay St.-Metro Tech station was blamed for the disruption.

A ConEd spokesman said there was damage to substation equipment on Gold Street by the waterfront and crews were investigating. 

The MTA said customers should expect delays on the A, C, F and G lines. 

Gov. Andrew Cuomo demanded an investigation of ConEdison. 

"The apparent failure at ConEd substation Sunday afternoon was completely unacceptable, affecting Brooklyn NYCHA residents and passengers on subway trains across the city," Cuomo said.

Source: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Power-Failure-Stops-Several-Trains-Between-Manhattan-and-Brooklyn-MTA--445111563.html

Published 5 hours ago | Updated 18 minutes ago

This source gives a more detailed story of what happened. I happen to agree that an investigation needs to be done as to what is going on with ConEd.  They need to get it together.  They've had far too many of these incidents and it hasn't been very hot at all, so it's really inexcusable.

------

image.jpeg Service on the A, C, F and G trains was disrupted by a power outage at the Jay St.-MetroTech station on Sept. 17, 2017. (Credit: Getty Images / Chip Somodevilla)

TRANSIT A, C, F, G trains temporarily disrupted by power outage in Brooklyn, MTA says

By Ivan Pereira   ivan.pereira@amny.com September 17, 2017

After nearly two hours, subway service was restored with heavy delays between Brooklyn and Manhattan Sunday afternoon following a power outage near the Jay St.-MetroTech station.

Con Edison and the MTA said crews were rapidly working to restore service after equipment was damaged by a manhole fire around 1 p.m. The utility lost seven feeders, according to an MTA spokesman.

Several buildings in Downtown Brooklyn, in addition to the subway station, lost power temporarily, according to a Con Ed spokesman.

Initially, the MTA shut down service on the A, C, and F lines between Manhattan and Brooklyn and completely shut down the G train.

By 3 p.m. power was restored to Jay Street and the lines were back in running, however, with extensive delays, according to the MTA.

Despite the shortness of the disruption, Gov. Andrew Cuomo called the power outage “completely unacceptable.” He ordered the Department of Public Service to conduct an investigation into the outage.

“ConEd must be held accountable for the multitude of issues with their infrastructure that are too frequently impacting the lives of millions of New Yorkers,” he said in a statement.

Source: http://www.amny.com/transit/a-c-f-g-trains-affected-by-power-outage-near-jay-st-metrotech-station-mta-says-1.14201842

The worst thing about power failures is it affects multiple lines. So I was around Brooklyn Battery Park volunteering and I was gonna hop on the train but (A)(C)(F) trains were affected, Clark st (2)(3) has no trains so I had to walk all the way to Borough Hall for (4)(5) service. Odd part was people were still waiting on the (2)(3) platform lol.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The worst thing about power failures is it affects multiple lines. So I was around Brooklyn Battery Park volunteering and I was gonna hop on the train but (A)(C)(F) trains were affected, Clark st (2)(3) has no trains so I had to walk all the way to Borough Hall for (4)(5) service. Odd part was people were still waiting on the (2)(3) platform lol.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I guess I got lucky today. I needed to be somewhere early and couldn't get that first X28 in time so I decided to get the (Q) to Coney Island. It went express from Church to Kings Highway which was great. Coming back though I got the X28. Yesterday I had good subway service as well, but I did notice a TON of service changes.

I was on the X10 today, and somebody said they were coming home from Utica Avenue and were stuck on the (4) train for like an hour (and then by the time they got to Manhattan, the express buses were screwed up, so he had to take the X10 to the S79 even though he would've preferred the X1.

If the trains were that bad, I would've just gotten off at Atlantic and taken the (R) to the S79 if I were in that situation.

Archived