3 dead, 16 injured in bus crash in Flushing

Joel Up Front

post-5097-0-38604500-1505776500_thumb.jpg
A tour bus “flying” down a busy Queens street crashed into an MTA bus Monday, killing three people and injuring 16 others, witnesses and authorities said. The Dahlia Travel and Tours bus slammed into the Q20 bus around 6:15 a.m. at Northern Blvd. and Main St., sending both vehicles careening onto the sidewalk and killing a 68-year-old pedestrian, officials said. The driver of the Dahlia bus, Raymond Mong, 49, was among the dead. A 55-year-old man aboard the MTA bus also died. “The tour bus was flying,” said Mike Ramos, 47, a construction superintendent who was sitting in his truck nearby. Ramos and a handful of cops were among the first on the scene, he said. "There was people pinned under the front of the city bus. A lady was crying and screaming, 'Get me out! Get me out!’” he said.

Read more: Source

Cut de Blasio's crap from the post because it was getting lengthy.  The Dahlia MCI had to be going AT LEAST 30 MPH through that red.

60mph.

The only way that amount of impact was created is if the operator of the coach either fell asleep, or had a medical emergency.

That's even worse.  I know speedometers are designed to stay stuck at their last position if they ever come loose from the dashboard in a crash so investigators can determine if speed is a crash, which it so clearly was.  Also, a few minutes after I posted this, Harry posted a far more detailed article and thread.

What are Lhota and de Blousy-o whining about VZ for?  Low speed limits will only piss drivers off and make travel slower, but I'll stop there.

That's even worse.  I know speedometers are designed to stay stuck at their last position if they ever come loose from the dashboard in a crash so investigators can determine if speed is a crash, which it so clearly was.  Also, a few minutes after I posted this, Harry posted a far more detailed article and thread.

What are Lhota and de Blousy-o whining about VZ for?  Low speed limits will only piss drivers off and make travel slower, but I'll stop there.

Merged both threads to lessen the clutter.

I’m so lucky, missed this by about 20 minutes. Took the Q34, reached that intersection by 6am. God Bless those poor people on both buses. The Dahlia driver was clearly at fault, running that red light at Godspeed. Later, on my way home, my Q34 driver was the only bus that decided to go right through the crime scene area and the NYPD let him do it. I was waiting on the detoured route and when I saw him go by, I was pissed, so I ran after him. Everybody was in shock when the saw the amount of damage there was to the building. Many gasps!

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The security footage is disturbing. What I find worse is that the MCI driver SWOVE to the right onto a PACKED SIDEWALK, WHILE there was an empty lane TO THE LEFT. :angry:

I’m pretty sure the Dahlia driver was asleep at the wheel or looking on his phone, prob the first tho. There was clearly no attempt to stop, only after impact. He prob thought swerving right was better so it would avoid the Q20 bus making the turn.

I’m pretty sure the Dahlia driver was asleep at the wheel or looking on his phone, prob the first tho. There was clearly no attempt to stop, only after impact. He prob thought swerving right was better so it would avoid the Q20 bus making the turn.

I have no idea why he would go right, that would increase his chances of death as his cab is on the left. Plus, the bus was turning right so he would probably skim it rather than smash the back. I won't be surprised if he was speeding and on his phone because he was "invincible".

I refuse to believe that was a case of speeding with intent.... I seriously believe something happened to that (Dahlia bus) driver well before that bus crossed Main..... This obviously could have been even worse had the (MTA) bus driver ended up reaching Northern about a handful of seconds later......

The point I was trying to make earlier: VZ and all that pedestrian safety horsecrap won't stop accidents like this.  I can't help but feel like de Blasio didn't want to be at that press conference earlier.

If USDOT notices a red flag, do they even do anything or do they just impose fines?

Based on the footage, I notice there were no attempt of that bus stopping. After the impact occurred and the bus finally settled into the building, you finally saw the brakes lights engage.

That footage look like an suicide mission but again it just my opinion.

VZ doesn't help reduce these type of accidents. In order to avoid major errors like this, the best way is to educate the public first about safety and being a responsible driver on the road. We need DMV to regulate the commercial driver license training style similar to NYCT teaching safety techniques. If majority of CDL operators had that type of training, safety awareness would be effective to all CDL operators. There are time where you see those boxed trucks vehicles or other motor cdl operating vehicles speeding through intersections or regular roadways with no feeling that they can probably lose control of their killer machine.

Based on the footage, I notice there were no attempt of that bus stopping. After the impact occurred and the bus finally settled into the building, you finally saw the brakes lights engage.

That footage look like an suicide mission but again it just my opinion.

VZ doesn't help reduce these type of accidents. In order to avoid major errors like this, the best way is to educate the public first about safety and being a responsible driver on the road. We need DMV to regulate the commercial driver license training style similar to NYCT teaching safety techniques. If majority of CDL operators had that type of training, safety awareness would be effective to all CDL operators. There are time where you see those boxed trucks vehicles or other motor cdl operating vehicles speeding through intersections or regular roadways with no feeling that they can probably lose control of their killer machine.

Why are you blaming the DMV for a reckless driver? The (MTA) fired this guy for drunk driving episodes before (albeit not while on the job), and Dahlia turns around and hires the guy.  What kind of idiotic company is this?  This isn't the first time Dahlia's decision-making has been questioned.  They must be really desperate to get drivers because they seem to draw from the bottom of the barrel.

Why are you blaming the DMV for a reckless driver? The (MTA) fired this guy for drunk driving episodes before (albeit not while on the job), and Dahlia turns around and hires the guy. What kind of idiotic company is this? This isn't the first time Dahlia's decision-making has been questioned. They must be really desperate to get drivers because they seem to draw from the bottom of the barrel.

I don't understand how this guy still had a valid CDL after a drunk driving charge

I don't understand how this guy still had a valid CDL after a drunk driving charge

And for the people claiming that something happened to the driver, I don't buy it.  Was likely drunk or something and just lost control.  The break lights come on when maybe he finally realizes that he ran into something.  What's sickening to me is every time we have one of these incidents, politicians come out and say that we need better enforcement.  Well when in the hell are they going to start passing legislation to get rid of these rinky-dink outfits like Dahlia? Always seems to be these shady companies with dirt cheap prices.  You always get what you pay for...

And for the people claiming that something happened to the driver, I don't buy it. Was likely drunk or something and just lost control. The break lights come on when maybe he finally realizes that he ran into something. What's sickening to me is every time we have one of these incidents, politicians come out and say that we need better enforcement. Well when in the hell are they going to start passing legislation to get rid of these rinky-dink outfits like Dahlia? Always seems to be these shady companies with dirt cheap prices. You always get what you pay for...

I had just looked at a live feed on ABC7's Facebook page on how politicians were calling for stricter laws. Time after time with these kinds of incidents, some armchair quarterback wants to make new laws with things to which they have no knowledge of. What exactly can these people possibly expect to happen?

What angers me is when something as tragic as this horrendous accident occurs, right away the politicians and their friends who love trampling on the rights of everyone run to the microphones and cameras to babble on the need for more laws. If this (or similar situations) is  based on the action of  one (or a few) then why demand that there be another law to stop it?

How about existing laws being enforced first before any new law is introduced to cover an accident like this? It is possible that had laws already on the books been enforced against the company,that this accident could have been averted and that may come out when the investigation is completed. What may come out as well is that the problem with enforcement may be the fact that not enough money has been allocated and therefore the workers doing the enforcement cannot be done as the nit is short staffed.

In the meantime, i wish that all of the geniuses who love the microphones and camera coverage please do the public a favor and get back into the woodwork until the results of the investigation will be made public at some time in the future

What angers me is when something as tragic as this horrendous accident occurs, right away the politicians and their friends who love trampling on the rights of everyone run to the microphones and cameras to babble on the need for more laws. If this (or similar situations) is  based on the action of  one (or a few) then why demand that there be another law to stop it?

How about existing laws being enforced first before any new law is introduced to cover an accident like this? It is possible that had laws already on the books been enforced against the company,that this accident could have been averted and that may come out when the investigation is completed. What may come out as well is that the problem with enforcement may be the fact that not enough money has been allocated and therefore the workers doing the enforcement cannot be done as the nit is short staffed.

In the meantime, i wish that all of the geniuses who love the microphones and camera coverage please do the public a favor and get back into the woodwork until the results of the investigation will be made public at some time in the future

Preach

Sounds like their progress, pretty much.

Preach

I think this needs to hit close to home for pols so that they realize they could be a victim too. Otherwise they won't care for other victims and victims-to -be.

Archived