List of subway lines' trains that do not use platforms to full capacity.

MattTrain

But wait, that accounts for Times Square. But at Grand Central, that was an express station, no? And express stations were supposed to have 10 cars, right?

Going by that video, those platforms don't see track anymore. And if I read Joe Brennans site correctly one or both of those platforms and some trackway are now the walkway to the new 42nd st stop.

Also judging by that videos part 1, the express stations were definitely built for at least 8 cars. The local platforms however look like they could barely fit 5.

Remember Union Sq also has the shorter abandoned local side platforms as well. Wonder how that station operated back in the early days of the IRT...there aren't really any photos of it from back then but it must have been interesting to see how it worked.

Lex/53rd, West 4th, Roosevelt Ave, 71st/Continental, those are all i can think off the top of my head lol

i think its better if the stations are longer then the train cause then just in case the t/o overshoots the stop mark at least the train won't be opening in the tunnel..

Lex/53rd, West 4th, Roosevelt Ave, 71st/Continental, those are all i can think off the top of my head lol

i think its better if the stations are longer then the train cause then just in case the t/o overshoots the stop mark at least the train won't be opening in the tunnel..

Yep, if the train doors opened in the tunnel or worse, at the elevated line, trouble.

I think the outer local platforms were mainly for letting passengers off and the islands for boarding. To make it one smooth motion and have the train in and out faster.

In other words, the Spanish solution.

The main point was that they didn't want people to keep on transferring to the expresses. They want the people to remain on the locals.

I think the QBL has a couple stations built at 660ft long as the IND intended on running 11 car trains or at least had provison to be extened from 600 to 660.

I honestly think only the stations that have the ability to platform 1-3 more cars are the ones that should be counted. And from what I understand are most of the ex-railroad lines.

A couple feet in the front or back shouldn't really count, IMO.

I think the QBL has a couple stations built at 660ft long as the IND intended on running 11 car trains or at least had provison to be extened from 600 to 660.

I honestly think only the stations that have the ability to platform 1-3 more cars are the ones that should be counted. And from what I understand are most of the ex-railroad lines.

Yeah I recall hearing that a few Div B stations were extended a bit longer.

Most of them are, on average, like 615 feet long (except BMT East, of course)

I think the largest is the 6th ave IND platform at Herald Sq...I think it's pretty close to 800 feet

I think the largest is the 6th ave IND platform at Herald Sq...I think it's pretty close to 800 feet

Herald Square (B)(D)(F)(V) is very long, 750 feet to be exact, that's why there's at least 75 feet of space between the ends of the platforms and the front and end of the train each.

To add to this, there was and there will never be an intention to operate an BMT or IND train longer that 600 feet, in other words no more than eight 75 foot cars per train nor ten 60 foot cars per train, of course that's what the car markers are for.

Archived