Have you ever been stopped?

mark1447

This questions i meant for Bus and Subway, but seeing that there is no Bus + Subway forum together might as well post here..

Anyways have you ever? By an MTA Employee and/Or Police Offericer

When taking Pictures, or anything that a "TA EMPLOYEE" claims as breaking the "LAW"

I was stopped today at west farms depo, by a Supervisor phew.. didnt gave out my info..

Anywho, he asked me in a car, while i was taking a pic of the dep (For My fridays Special, with my sis cam as mine was sent for repair today). And he asked me.."Do you work with tha TA?" . I said "No in the future yes as C/R."

He then tells me "WHY are you taking pictures?"? I say: " becuz im gonna load to the internet".... "BUT WHY are you taking pictures??" . for transit forums and galleries, like the millions of other Rail fanners."

After this... "You know write now I can arrest you" Becuz "its against the law and thats terrorism" he says

(ARREST ME?? but hes a West Farms Supervisor)

then: "Im not a terrorist, I enjoy taking pics" i say "Ok but, you do know we have gottan loads of violations related to the dep, like someone broke in via the gats at 177th street, and someone was playing in the depo too.., lets say you were a terrorist, next week this whole place would be gone, just a say" .I say: "But im not a terrorist, i dont like terrorism" "Ok im just saying, cuz if a boss of the WF depo was to show up, he would call the cops to you or anyone else.."

and then after that we finish talking an i letf

wtf? Why the hell would I be a terrorist, Im not any of that, I enjoy taking pics if transit like you guys, its my hobby.. This isnt the only time I got stopped, last time was over at 239th street yard north of 241st, and a worker tells me, "The MTA doesnt want picture taking at all" even tho i told him the conduct says FLASH isnt allowed, but he didnt listen

same thing was for me an paul (Backline). we went on the (G) and took a pic of the R46 (G) and some weird Chinese woman tells us that we are not allowed to take pic, pics can never be used in any train..

Anyways im ok, if anything ill give them the damn URL to the conduct:

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm

Section 1050.9- C

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used. Members of the press holding valid identification issued by the New York City Police Department are hereby authorized to use necessary ancillary equipment. All photographic activity must be conducted in accordance with the provisions of this Part.

now where does it say no cam??

Or are we not allowed to use it at Bus Depos?

Any whos whats your story mates :)

This questions i meant for Bus and Subway, but seeing that there is no Bus + Subway forum together might as well post here..

Both MTA and NJ Transit send me e-mail with that also that photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyeance permitted except that flash, reflectors or tripods may not be used.

One before I joined NYC Transit Forum and after I got in to Manhattan-bound 23rd St-Ely Av after Court Sq Library, I was trying to take video of R42 on opposite site for Straphangers Campaign, but someone told me you can't take picture, but I told him it is ok to take picture, they didn't BANNED it.

Or maybe some folks did not watch the news often?

You an adult working for TA/NJT?

also plz remove the quote u added, as its too long thx mate

No, I am also fan of riding public transportation.

I also sent e-mail to both MTA and NJT and they responded with same policy as you mentioned.

Photograph without flash or video recordding a permitted.

No, I am also fan of riding public transportation.

I also sent e-mail to both MTA and NJT and they responded with same policy as you mentioned.

Photograph without flash or video recordding a permitted.

Yup even the MTA top heads know

and can u plz remove my quote from your first post in this page, as i requested

Yeah, I wouldn't even have told him that you plan to work for the MTA. Next time print the MTA rules and regs regarding photography. Just carry that with you.

why cant i say it?

Also i was just thinking about that mate =P , gonna do it, its like the New $5 bills, some store owners thought it was fake till i bring the truth

I have had drivers stop a few times.

One incident that I had was when I was taking photos of buses along the B100. After I photographed and Orion V CNG the driver stopped and opened the door. He told me that what I was doing is illegal, I responded by saying according to (MTA) rules and regulations I am alowed to take photos. He then told me I am lying and drove away.

I also had another problem with a driver on the B100. When I took a photo of a TMC RTS the driver covered her face. When she got to the next stop which was a block away she left the bus running with passengers on board and came over to me. She started yelling that she doesn't want me taking pictures of her. I told her that I was taking a picture of the whole bus and not her. She refused to listen and kept saying that she doesn't want anyone taking photos of her. She then gave me a dirty look and went back to her bus.

A third incident that I had was on the B44. After taking a photo the driver stopped and told me to come over to the bus. When I came over to him he asked me if I took a photos of his bus. I told him that I did and that I was a bus fan. He told me that I am allowed to take photos of the bus while it was parked but not when it was in service. I told him that according the (MTA) policy I was allowed the take photos of a bus in service. He responded by saying that I was lying and if he saw me again he would take me to court.

You should always remember to have your rules with you because of photography. Some workers are very rude against railfans or don't know the rules, like you said that other time on the (G) that woman didn't know jack about the rules. And arrest you? Are you kidding me??? He is a damn supervisor that the most he can do is tell you bull, and I wouldn't have even told him anything about yourself, just ignore him, that's all...

Ive never been harrsed by subway workers, but a few times by B/O's. But most of the time they were friendly about it though. Once this lady B/O thought i was taking pictures of her, but autully i was taking pics of that RTS she was driving and a male friend was riding with her(It was at the end of the route btw). So she got out i asked me why was i taking pictures of her, her male friend said don't pay her anymind. I thought she was mad then she starting laughing and walked away. Later in that same day a dude B/O asked me why i was taking pics i told him i liked buses i showed him some pics on my camara and then he walked away, he was friendly about it though. One time i took a pic of an TMC RTS and the driver said "Why are you taking pics of this raggly bus" that wasn't hassement, i thought it was funny when he said that lol.

why cant i say it?

Also i was just thinking about that mate =P , gonna do it, its like the New $5 bills, some store owners thought it was fake till i bring the truth

Why risk getting blacklisted with the MTA? Just keep that to yourself.

Why risk getting blacklisted with the MTA? Just keep that to yourself.

ok but there are a few Workers here who take pics, so the TA doesnt do anything

plus i aint violating rulez.

and i never gave my name up and age tho

If anyone ever says anything to you who is NOT a cop or MTA employee you are free to give them the business as far as calling them out. With an employee or cop, though, you should always be polite, courteous, and accomodating without giving up your rights. Keep a copy of the rules on you, be friendly, and depending on the situation if you say someday you wanna work for transit it can either help or hurt you. A few common sense statements can go a long way. If you identify yourself as a railfan and someone accuses you of being a terrorist you can simply say, "but I ENJOY the buses/trains, why would i attack them?" then they may giv you the "well im just going to assume you're stupid" treatment but the joke's on them b/c you probably won't see them again so play dumb, keep them happy, and get out of it quickly without anything further

Yes. Two summers ago, I was stopped by some undercover cops (in plainclothes). They wanted to know why I was standing at Coney Island's (N) platform for so long taking pictures. I told them I was waiting for the R160. They asked to see my pictures, but didn't delete any. A crew member came by, and they asked if the R160 was out today. The crew member said no, at which point an R32 came in. The cops told me to leave the station. I got on the R32 & left. Other times, just people yelling at me. But I showed them the rules & they left me alone.

Yes. Two summers ago, I was stopped by some undercover cops (in plainclothes). They wanted to know why I was standing at Coney Island's (N) platform for so long taking pictures. I told them I was waiting for the R160. They asked to see my pictures, but didn't delete any. A crew member came by, and they asked if the R160 was out today. The crew member said no, at which point an R32 came in. The cops told me to leave the station. I got on the R32 & left. Other times, just people yelling at me. But I showed them the rules & they left me alone.

Now, how can they ask you to leave the station, either by train, or just walk off, that you paid the fare (hopefully)... that's kind of rude.

Not only us, I also have seen few tourist taking picture inside subways.

They take the picture just because the train is there, and then you see those 2 second videos on Youtube with a title saying: ... waiting for train

Not only us, I also have seen few tourist taking picture inside subways.

TOURISTS??? we got competition.

i got caught on the job by a porker at times sq, shuttle platform. it was last year nd i was taking a video of the former connection to the irt west side line. cuz it wud b fascinating to watch da (1)(2)(3) zip past u. nd then i got stopped by da porker in PC. nd im like "who the hell r u?" *flashes badge* nd hes like, y r u taking pics of trains? nd i said, oh i take pics of trains for my own pleasure. hes like oh... nxt time sumone stops u, say dat ur a train buff, cuz we dun wan terrorists...

jeez... those porkers.

TOURISTS??? we got competition.

i got caught on the job by a porker at times sq, shuttle platform. it was last year nd i was taking a video of the former connection to the irt west side line. cuz it wud b fascinating to watch da (1)(2)(3) zip past u. nd then i got stopped by da porker in PC. nd im like "who the hell r u?" *flashes badge* nd hes like, y r u taking pics of trains? nd i said, oh i take pics of trains for my own pleasure. hes like oh... nxt time sumone stops u, say dat ur a train buff, cuz we dun wan terrorists...

jeez... those porkers.

Wow with grammar like that you'll never become a TA employee.(NYCT)

No sir. My friends have for trying to hop the turnstile, but I'm a sweet, innocent young girl.

:(

That's what they all say, then they stab you in the back! ;) I know your kind. The silent innocent ones are the ones people need to watch! :(:):)

Archived