The R40 Slants are gone....

LRG

It is now midnight. The R40 Slants are now out of service. Here are some pics so those who couldn't enjoy a ride on the slants see what went on:

ThelastR40slants01.jpg

ThelastR40slants02.jpg

ThelastR40slants03.jpg

ThelastR40slants04.jpg

ThelastR40slants05.jpg

ThelastR40slants06.jpg

ThelastR40slants07.jpg

ThelastR40slants08.jpg

ThelastR40slants09.jpg

ThelastR40slants10.jpg

ThelastR40slants11.jpg

ThelastR40slants12.jpg

ThelastR40slants13.jpg

ThelastR40slants14.jpg

ThelastR40slants15.jpg

ThelastR40slants16.jpg

ThelastR40slants17.jpg

Thanks to the R40s for 41.5 years of wonderful service. You will forever be missed. Have a wonderful afterlife in the Atlantic Ocean....

You need to reformat your IMG links.

- A

Yeah, I took them with my phone. I wanted to use my friend's camera but he didn't get it back from the shop yet.

Nice Pics, RIP R40S!! btw were those all rfers also? in the pics

Yup, there were about ten others!

What time did you get these?

- A

I waited at West Fourth Street from 6:25. At 7:15, I decided to call it quits, but then when one arrived at the uptown platform, I ran to get it. I got it at around 7:15.

Nice pics

Farewell to the R40 Slants. They are now in the Atlantic Ocean joining the Redbirds and the R38.

They will be on Monday, that's for sure.

great photos

Thanks! Not bad for a camera phone!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

Those papers were being handed out by (MTA) personnel. I got one of those too. I will miss those Slants.:cry: At least I was able to say a proper goodbye...

Same here! I was with the North Face hat, the black track jacket with green stripes and the khaki pants! (In case anyone's wondering.)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4B1 Safari/419.3)

What did that sign on the window say?

• Last day of R40 Slants

• January 1968-June 2009

• 41 1/2 years of faithful service to the City of New York

• Final day of service 06/12/09

• Last day of R40 Slants

• January 1968-June 2009

• 41 1/2 years of faithful service to the City of New York

• Final day of service 06/12/09

Oh, I wish I could have gotten one of those signs...

Anyway I got my last ride on Thursday afternoon. Rode it from Columbus Circle to 207th street, back down to Lefferts Blvd, than back to Jay Street Boro Hall.

I'll miss those guys a lot. Especially when they used to be racing down the Brighton express. :cry:

Same here! I was with the North Face hat, the black track jacket with green stripes and the khaki pants! (In case anyone's wondering.)

I was wearing a black suit coat w/ tie and grey pants. I'm usually very eager to talk/socialize, but on Friday I was feeling rather exhausted after such a long, hot and humid day, and so I was mute. Otherwise I would have literally been talking my head off about the R-40s and other SMEE cars. I'm not kidding.

I was wearing a black suit coat w/ tie and grey pants. I'm usually very eager to talk/socialize, but on Friday I was feeling rather exhausted after such a long, hot and humid day, and so I was mute. Otherwise I would have literally been talking my head off about the R-40s and other SMEE cars. I'm not kidding.

Hmmm, don't remember seeing you, sorry.

Did any of you notice regular passengers (i.e. not railfans/foamers) take any of those signs they handed out? Did any of you notice conversations amongst the regular passengers about this being this car class' last day? They would know because of the signs everywhere. What were they're reactions?

Also, if anyone still has those "R40 slant last day papers" could you scan it and put in on photobucket and post a link to it? I'd like to see it up and close. Thanks.

Archived