(2009) The Taking of Pelham 123

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

I enjoyed the whole movie. I thought it was fun. The inaccuracies bugged me though, such as South Ferry being mocked up as 42nd Street, the (6) somehow flying down Culver, then Flushing, and then Brighton en route to Coney Island. I had such high hopes for the accuracies when they made mention of the connection to Queens Boulevard from 57th Street via (Q) Express tracks at the beginning, but it was a Hollywood movie. What do you expcet?

I enjoyed the whole movie. I thought it was fun. The inaccuracies bugged me though, such as South Ferry being mocked up as 42nd Street, the (6) somehow flying down Culver, then Flushing, and then Brighton en route to Coney Island. I had such high hopes for the accuracies when they made mention of the connection to Queens Boulevard from 57th Street via (Q) Express tracks at the beginning, but it was a Hollywood movie. What do you expcet?

I highly enjoyed it as well except for the runaway (6) to Coney Island. Had high hopes like you when Denzel said to switch the (R) to the express track so it could get onto the (F) back to Queens Blvd. They should've renamed it "The Taking of Ditmars 123" then the trip to Coney Island would've been more realistic. Those of us that know the NY subway only make up a small percentage of the national population though, so most people watching it will never be bothered by a (6) running down Culver, past Shea Stadium on the Flushing and then getting it's brakes tripped on the Brighton!

It was entertaining but "different" than the original. I enjoyed it though. A few of the inaccuracies were rather obvious ((6) to Coney Island?), the timing was a bit off, the movie ended rather abruptly, and they left a few things unresolved...but other than that it was good. I like that the movie followed the same rough script as the original but was quite different, so I didn't feel like I was watching a true "remake" just a different version of the same story. Denzel and Travolta were great in their back and forth...on Denzel's part it reminded me a little bit of Inside Man...the dialogue all around was funny, I like that they kept it that way from the original instead of taking themselves too seriously...that was well done.

They did a great job with that R62 single...they captured the look and feel of a new tech with it.

Even if TECHNICALLY the movie should have been called "The Taking of 1323 Pelham" :P (had to throw that in there)

7/10

I'm not sure, but it looked like an R10 to me.

Overall, the movie was pretty good. They didn't really follow the book that well, but the ending was good. I liked it when Garber ran across the tracks with an R160 almost hitting him. I'm still surprised a B Div tripper can trip an A Div car.

BTW, (hope this isnt considered a spoiler) what was the train sitting at Roosevelt? Looked like a R30, but i'm not sure.

The first car was an R10 number 3189 which I think is stored on the tracks right out side the transit museum and then there was a redbird. I'm not sure of the number or class since all those IRT toy trains look the same.

As for a B division signal tripping an A division car that does not have duel trip cocks, it can happen. When the first truck bridges the insulated gap, that truck would not have a trip on the right side and the signal system would think that the train is trying to "key by" the signal and would drop the stop arm. Thing is, there is about a 20 second delay from the time the "IJ" is bridged till the stop arm goes down on most signals. If the train is going fast enough, the rear trip will then be on the right side and be activated and stop the train. Of course any home ball could have easily been set against the train and wold have tripped it no matter what since the only way to pass a home ball at danger would be to accept a "call on".

The Roosevelt Station was a take off of the Waldorf Astoria platform once used by President Roosevelt to take NYC right into midtown. It was a set built on the north bound abandon platform at Hoyt, not the section of Roosevelt Ave. on the (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) and (7).

Guys Ch. 11 in NYC and the CW Network nationally will debut for 1st time tonight (6/14/09) a 'digtally remastered' version of the 1974 version of Taking of Pelham 1-2-3.

I hope that most of the cursing/profanties(i am normally against swearing' but it an important part of the oringal movie success)is not taken out and a stupid poltically correct version is shown.

Sorry to double post. In case anyone cares here the stats on the box offfice. Well in a strong battle at box office, the #1 movie in America(in terms of profits) is..

"Hangover'

here the story.

'Hangover' Remains No. 1 Movie With $33.4M

LOS ANGELES April 14(Associated Press stories) The Warner Bros. comedy smash "The Hangover" hauled in $33.4 million to remain the top box-office draw for a second-straight weekend. In a busy weekend, the Warner Bros. film beat out stiff competation from both the Disney film 'Up' and the debut of a new film "Taking of Pelham 123' starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta. "Hangover" has surprised many in the industry to become the year's first surprise 'sleeper' smash hit.

"Hangover" is The tale of a Vegas bachelor party gone to extremes raised its total to $105.4 million after 10 days in theaters. Among demographics "Hangover' is very popular among Woman ages 18-25.

The action comedy "Up" from Disney and Pixar Animation came in a close second again with $30.5 million. That lifts its total to $187.2 million.

Debuting at No. 3 with $25 million was Sony's action remake of the 1974 cult classic "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3." The subway-hijacking thriller stars Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

Eddie Murphy delivered a dud with the Paramount family comedy "Imagine That," which opened with a lackluster $5.7 million.

c)2009 AP, Inc.

So not exactly great news for the current 'Pelham' film despite spending alot of money to film it.

Any reactions that Pelham 123 finished in 3rd place this weekend at box office?

It made $25 million, very respectable opening but it had some competition. Movie theaters had to busy this weekend for the top 3 to be $25 mil and over. Not sure what other reaction there could be

It made $25 million, very respectable opening but it had some competition. Movie theaters had to busy this weekend for the top 3 to be $25 mil and over. Not sure what other reaction there could be

dumb question: Is "Pelham' hurt a little by fact this is an "R" rated movie? While the top 2 films were both PG rated as well. At cimena i went to last night (6/13/09)it was about 80% full, very crowded. I was very surprised "Hangover' has become this year first 'sleeper' smash hit.

The original movie was never a hit outside of cities with subways, the same will apply to this movie.

True Julio good point. The oringal Pelham (1974) although crtically accalimed did not do well at the box office either. It only became a cult classic in later years on reruns on tv and on video.

Similar to what happened to 'The Rocky Horror Show' and Fasttimes at Ridgemond High School' being two other great examples.

I saw Pelham this afternoon. It was good. Way too much cursing on Travolta's character. Background sounds of R142A's was sweet. My favorite part had to be when Denzel rerouted the (R) into Queens via the (Q) & (F) via 63 St. They hit that nail on the head perfectly!:tup::cool: Other than that, was puzzled with that Roosevelt Station thing. But clearing tracks from 68 St to Coney Island? hmmmm.

All in all, if I were to rate it out of 5 stars, Id give it 3.5 to 4...

I saw Pelham this afternoon. It was good. Way too much cursing on Travolta's character. Background sounds of R142A's was sweet. My favorite part had to be when Denzel rerouted the (R) into Queens via the (Q) & (F) via 63 St. They hit that nail on the head perfectly!:tup::cool: Other than that, was puzzled with that Roosevelt Station thing. But clearing tracks from 68 St to Coney Island? hmmmm.

All in all, if I were to rate it out of 5 stars, Id give it 3.5 to 4...

Brighton did you hear "pelham' finished in 3rd place this weekend despite making $25 million? Hangover was #1.

Archived