(2009) The Taking of Pelham 123

KNIGHTRIDER3:16

dumb question: Is "Pelham' hurt a little by fact this is an "R" rated movie? While the top 2 films were both PG rated as well. At cimena i went to last night (6/13/09)it was about 80% full, very crowded. I was very surprised "Hangover' has become this year first 'sleeper' smash hit.

Only "Up" is PG, "The Hangover" is actually rated R as well and that has been a huge hit. "Pelham" wasn't hurt by the rating at all, it just had a few competitors and $25 mil is in no way hurt. Look at Eddie Murphy's movie "Imagine That", it was PG and only made $5.7 mil.

I'll be the first to break away.

It. Sucked. It's $19.50 and 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Cinematography was overblown for a simple story line. The opening wasn't all that great; it seemed like they were doing too many things for such a short time. All the slow-motions shots were getting annoying. It seemed like they couldn't keep the camera skill; all the panoramas were getting dizzying.

As for the plot. They kept to the same basic plot; however, that is all. Travolta MFed wayyy too much. Denzel is no Walter Matthau; then again, Matthau was Transit Police. That's probably the only part of the book they kept to. The chase into Brooklyn? Come on.

I better stop now.:tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

I'll agree with you that the slow down effects Tony Scott used for this movie were extremely annoying, it didn't do anything for the storytelling and it was used way too often. Denzel is one of my favorite actors, he did a great job and brought the character to life as he usually does. All of us most likely agree the continuity of runaway train at the end wasn't the best because of the (6) not only running to Coney Island but on various lines. Other than that I think it was entertaining and well done and can't see how you view as 2 hours of you life you'll never get back. Your review is your opinion but it's overly harsh!

I would not have paid that much to see The Departed. Hell for Pelham 123 I only paid $8 and I still thought that was a bit much. Even though it was nothing like the original I can't wait to get it on DVD.

Holy crap! $19.50 for a movie, I don't think there is any movie worth spending that much on.

Jamaica Multiplex had deal before 15:00, it is around $8.36.

Forest Glen and I saw 14:20 movie which started 14:38.

To me,

I love it because of action, thrill just like SPEED.

I love how Lt. Walter Garbar negotiate with group of gunman.

I remember Ramond from 1974.

(6) was look like combination of R62A & R142.

I love the action where mayor's assistant rush to train situation to tell the mayor of Pelham 1-2-3.

Also, i love the scene of Garber and Mayor talking to gunman in cab.

I also like the part of money racing, hurrying to Grand Central from Brooklyn, but only to be hit by another responding FDNY Ambulance with terrific police car stunt off the Park Av bridge.

I also like the runaway car on (6) that send to Coney Island.

To my opinion, it should be first place for action, adventure and thrill.

I also love girlfriend who was chatting on internet video before hostage situation and after it.

Awesome movie. John Travolta was a such a convincing villain. Denzel also performed well. One of the best parts was when the man with the dreadlocks confronted him and Ryder just shot him point blank. I like how James Gandolfini was a chubby Rudy Giuliani. There were a few inconstencies (passing Shea Stadium on the way to Coney Island, Garber driving towards the Brooklyn Bridge but ending up on the Manhattan Bridge) but overall it was a good movie.

Its offical. The new Pelham finishes in 3rd place for week ending June 15, 2009. Here story.

Hangover" gives Murphy and "Pelham" a headache at box office

BY Dean Goodman

Reuters US Online Report Entertainment News

Jun 15, 2009

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The party kept rocking for "The Hangover," the first big surprise smash hit at the North American box office this summer, beating a strong challenge of a remake of a classic 1974 Thriller. While Eddie Murphy, suffered a headache with his second consecutive major flop.

According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, "The Hangover" led the field for a second weekend with ticket sales of $33.4 million across the United States and Canada. The raunchy comedy with a little-known cast becomes the first movie to retain its crown since "Madea Goes to Jail" in February. Hangover continues the recent trend of new cheaper 'independent' movies highlighted by the Oscar Winning Hit "Slumlord Millionarie."

The film also took just 10 days to hit the so called century mark -- $105.4 million, to be exact -- setting a new record for an R-rated movie. The old mark of 11 days was set last year by "Sex and the City."

Industry pundits expect "The Hangover" to hit $200 million -- not bad for a movie that cost only a reported $31 million to make. The action revolves around three guys struggling to remember what happened at a wild bachelor party in Las Vegas the night before. It stars Justin Bartha, Bradley Cooper and Ed Helms, and was directed by Todd Phillips of "Old School" fame.

The indepedent film, shown in allaince from Time Warner Inc's Warner Bros. Pictures, easily fended off a pair of new entries boasting some major star power.

Columbia Pictures' remake of the 1974 cult following of a New York subway-hijacking thriller "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3," starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta, opened at No. 3 with $25 million, in line with expectations by Pelham executives at Sony.

"It's a solid opening for us," said Rory Bruer, president of worldwide distribution at the Sony Corp unit. The good news for the new "Pelham" is that adjusted for 2009 inflantion it doubled the tickets for the oringal film in 1974.

Washington's last major release was "American Gangster," which opened to $44 million in 2007 Thanksgiving/Christmas Holiday Season. The last time Travolta headlined a drama was in 2004 when "Ladder 49" opened to $26 million. Comparative data are not adjusted for ticket-price inflation.

Murphy, on the other hand, came in at No. 6 this weekend with the Paramount Pictures family comedy "Imagine That," which tallied just $5.7 million.

"We're really disappointed," said Don Harris, executive vice-president of distribution at the Viacom Inc unit.

Murphy previously starred in "Meet Dave," which opened to $5 million last July and finished with $12 million.

Walt Disney Pictures' Pixar cartoon "Up" held at No. 2 with $30.5 million, taking its total to $187.2 million after three weekends. The previous Pixar release, "Wall-E," had earned $163 million in the same span last summer.

Rounding out the top five were the Ben Stiller comedy hit sequel "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" (Fox) which held steady at No. 4 with $9.6 million in its fourth weekend; and the latest Will Ferrell bomb "Land of the Lost" (Universal), which fell two places to No. 5 with $5.6 million in its second weekend. Their respective totals stand at $143.4 million and $35 million. "Land of the Lost" is the first major disappointment at the box office for Ferrell film carrer, a former star performer on TV "Saturday Night Live."

Walt Disney Pictures is a unit of Walt Disney Co. 20th Century Fox is a unit of News Corp. Universal Pictures is a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal.

In limited release, the feature debut of David Bowie's 38-year-son Duncan Jones, opened strongly. "Moon," starring Sam Rockwell as an astronaut who confronts a clone of himself while mining lunar helium, earned $145,000 from just eight theaters in New York and Los Angeles. The Sony Pictures Classics release expands across the United States throughout June and July.

At the foreign box office, "Terminator Salvation" was the top pick for a second weekend, earning $46.1 million; the overseas total for the Columbia-distributed apocalypse sequel rose to $165.5 million.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; Editing by Eric Walsh)

c)2009 Reuters US Online Report Entertainment

Reactions?

Well I just saw it today and I liked the movie a lot. The only thing I didn't like was that annoying girlfriend, when she was complain to the guy about having him say he loved her, I was like, seriously?

Well I just saw it today and I liked the movie a lot. The only thing I didn't like was that annoying girlfriend, when she was complain to the guy about having him say he loved her, I was like, seriously?

Yeah but she was kinda hot though. If I was gonna get killed by a hijacker, I'd want to have at least seen her breasts in my last 5 minutes alive heh.

I didn't like the part when the Train Operator was killed by Ryder. There's something about seeing someone who wears the exact same uniform that you do getting shot that hits a little close to home. At least the original doesn't show the Conductor getting shot in the back.

Archived