LIRR bus operations?

traildriver

Is this the right forum to inquire if anyone remembers back in the '60's when LIRR ran buses, (GM Suburbans, SDM5300 series), to supplement train service on the east end of the Island?

What I am wondering is if the buses were owned and operated by the railroad, or were they a private contractor?

If the drivers were LIRR employees, what union represented them?

I vaguely remember them in their railroad matching blue and orange livery, and somewhere if I can find it, an old LIRR timetable that included their schedules along with the trains.

They were rebuilding the montauk branch i believe & replacing several bridges & fill areas. From time to time they take this and other lines out for track work or other things like nearby construction.

This may also have been related to the PRR's inability to pay for LIRR operations in that time period due to their own issues resulting in then going away.

When the (MTA) took over the routine busses were replaced by regular train service.

This is all the info i have based on LIRR research, if someone else has more specific information please chime in. :P

- A

Archived