Next Car Class to retire?

ctrain

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dude, I know what I am talking about, I got an E-Mail This Morning about the amont of the Remaining R32's, R40M's and R42's, I get info from a Very Reliable source that I will not bring up, I don't give my sources and Trust Me there is way more than just this, But I am not going to say anything,

This is the Main reason Why I don't like giving info because All of you think that I am a liar, I have way more experence than any of you yonug railbuffs, I have been doing this for over 14 years and trust me I know my stuff, And How in the Hell is 32 R160A-2's are going to retire all the Remaining SMEE's at ENY, You would ether Have to cut service or keep the remaining, I don't just Railfan, I study the system as well, All you railfans do is Railfan, You have to know the history and know the amont of subway cars are in the system, 90% I am right, And Trust Me The r160's at Jamaica are not only going to be on the (E)/(F), Lets see how smart you young cats are,

When A New Subway Car enter's Jamaica Yard, What do they do to them when most deliverd, Lets see all of you answer that Question And I will reply after.

And to Flushing Express, There are currently 200 plus 56 R32's in active service with 4 retireing, you have 71 r40M's in service and you have 220 R42's in service 170 at Jamaica and 50 at ENY.

Honestly if you refuse to say what your source is, why should we believe you? I could go around saying the R44's are getting retired by the R160 and not show you my proof, and expect people to think its correct because I say "I'm experienced! You have to trust me!". Thats not really valid. Talk is cheap. Valid evidence is what we want.

And I personally study the system as well.

Honestly if you refuse to say what your source is, why should we believe you? I could go around saying the R44's are getting retired by the R160 and not show you my proof, and expect people to think its correct because I say "I'm experienced! You have to trust me!". Thats not really valid. Talk is cheap. Valid evidence is what we want.

Well, to tell you the truth, his prediction(s) do seem rather accurate. I was recently speaking to a friend of mine, a very experienced and knowledgeable T/O who's been on the workforce since 1983/1984, and he was pretty much saying the same exact thing(s), and also specifically stated that at this point, "anything's possible". He also stated that it was very feasible that the battered East New York R-42s would be (temporarily, at least) replaced by R-32s, quite likely the R-32s from Jamaica Yard. I mean think about it. Those R-42s are less convenient because they are in very poor condition, are visibly neglected (vandalism on interior walls), and do not have C/R boards in the T/O cabs (remember, this is why R-40s/R-42s were pulled from the 8-car (C) line). As for the R-32s, they are in FAR better condition, are not AS visibly neglected, and most importantly, they have C/R board in the T/O cabs. So we musn't be so judgemental.:eek:

The majority of the things R32 3838 has stated has been proven to be true. Look at when the R46's had their thresholds painted red. People had no idea what it meant untill he posted photos with info to go along.

Okay then. I guess we all have to wait and see. I'd like to see R32's on the (J)(Z), so hopefully he's right.

The majority of the things R32 3838 has stated has been proven to be true. Look at when the R46's had their thresholds painted red. People had no idea what it meant untill he posted photos with info to go along.
The R46 thresholds are just a marker for the R46 in case they hit something in the tunnel. The red paint can just be tracked to see that a train hit it. There ar 55XXs with that red paint and they're staying at Jamaica.

That being said, R32 3838 is a rather reliable poster. He does have very reliable sources, and it's good that he's not bringing them up because obviously he has connections with RTO. I have heard a lot of the stuff he says, and while there are some inaccuracies his logic is mainly correct and his predictions are credible.

Well, to tell you the truth, his prediction(s) do seem rather accurate. I was recently speaking to a friend of mine, a very experienced and knowledgeable T/O who's been on the workforce since 1983/1984, and he was pretty much saying the same exact thing(s), and also specifically stated that at this point, "anything's possible". He also stated that it was very feasible that the battered East New York R-42s would be (temporarily, at least) replaced by R-32s, quite likely the R-32s from Jamaica Yard. I mean think about it. Those R-42s are less convenient because they are in very poor condition, are visibly neglected (vandalism on interior walls), and do not have C/R boards in the T/O cabs (remember, this is why R-40s/R-42s were pulled from the 8-car (C) line). As for the R-32s, they are in FAR better condition, are not AS visibly neglected, and most importantly, they have C/R board in the T/O cabs. So we musn't be so judgemental.:eek:

If The R32's go to the (J)/(Z) Lines, They would use the R160 Boards since is 4+4 + = middle, or they cand use the R32's like the R42's with the C/R boards, The R32's have both C/R controls in the A/B cabs. The R42's are not in good shape at all, It would be Nice to see The R32's end on the Eastern Divison and Plus its a BMT Line, The R32's Started on the BMT and They Can END on the BMT. And They do have C/R boards for the 8 car R42's at the Eastern Divison, Thuruout the BMT as well, Those Boards are on the BMT Broadway,4th ave, Brighton,West End, Carnarsie and the Jamaica EL, The Only BMT El that does not have this is the Culver EL due to the FAct that it is runed by an IND Line and the C/R boards are Red and Orange some are White and Black.

i hate it!!! i tell you all i hate the fact that more of my all time favorite cars will soon become extinct. all the 60 foot smee's gone...now though i do like th 160's theres still nothing classic about em, the only thing with their color coded routes of any route is inside its like why cant there be something about the cars that vintage NYC subway? we are blessed to have the GREATEST metropolitan commuter system in the world. we should stand out as well...when i see a brand spanking new car pulling up i wanna see a nice big (Q) on the front brightly lit not some lifeless red digital Q that concept was cool on the R32/38's and while theyre at it hows about some pantograph gates on them? if it worked on the 60ft SMEE's it can work on these as well arent they the same length?

anybody feelin' me on this? lets make our voices heard lol!!! as far as the R179's i have high hopes for them since they'll be replacingmy beloved R46's maybe eventully the R68's i want sloped A-ends like their predecessors and please not that god awful 5 door concept lets keep it NYC, keep it relatively traditional, yet hi-tech and PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO DIGITAL ROUTE SIGNS!!! I WANT (F)'S NOT (F 'S ON FRONT (notice i left out part of the bracket on that , because they're always blowing)

anybody feelin' me on this? lets make our voices heard lol!!! as far as the R179's i have high hopes for them since they'll be replacingmy beloved R46's maybe eventully the R68's i want sloped A-ends like their predecessors and please not that god awful 5 door concept lets keep it NYC, keep it relatively traditional, yet hi-tech and PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NO DIGITAL ROUTE SIGNS!!! I WANT (F)'S NOT (F 'S ON FRONT (notice i left out part of the bracket on that , because they're always blowing)

Actually the R179 base order is only planned to replace the R44 fleet. I actually look forward to Alstom building them and wish that the front would resemble that of an RER slanted front.

Hopefully there'll be enough R40Ms, R32s and R42s to run on Jul 4, when I go there. I wonder if , as a result of their imminent retirement , they are just gonna shuffle them around the yards and its variant routes, such as Jamaica ((F)(N)(R)(V)), then going to Pitkin ((A)(C)(E)), then CI (B)(D)(Q)<Q>, then 207th (A)(C) and so on.....

Hopefully there'll be enough R40Ms, R32s and R42s to run on Jul 4, when I go there. I wonder if , as a result of their imminent retirement , they are just gonna shuffle them around the yards and its variant routes, such as Jamaica ((F)(N)(R)(V)), then going to Pitkin ((A)(C)(E)), then CI (B)(D)(Q)<Q>, then 207th (A)(C) and so on.....

Relax, the R32s are going nowhere as long as the R160 order is not done. But the R40Ms are next in line and would probably be gone within the coming weeks since there are only 40-60 cars left.

I wonder why the R40Ms are mixed with R42s. Is it because of the pair 4460-4665?

No. They do it to save the hassle as to find loose pairs for solid sets after certain pairs are taken out of sevice. They did the same with R32s and R38s since they are so similar mechanically. Pair 4460-4665 was the result of a R40M and R42 losing its mate in the Williamsburg accident. If you see other mixed trains, you'll find that every pair is of the same type of car.

No. They do it to save the hassle as to find loose pairs for solid sets after certain pairs are taken out of sevice. They did the same with R32s and R38s since they are so similar mechanically. Pair 4460-4665 was the result of a R40M and R42 losing its mate in the Williamsburg accident. If you see other mixed trains, you'll find that every pair is of the same type of car.

Ok. Thanks for the info.

The TA ran the 40M's and 42's in solid consists before the wreck happened. It wasn't till after the Willamsburg Bridge Wreck that the TA began linking 40M's and 42's in the same consists. In the case of the R32's and R38's, the TA began to link them in the same consist sometime in 2000.
I believe before the GOH, certain R40Ms were linked with R27s/30s as seen in this QJ consist:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5383

Also when the R40M were transferred to CI upon the arrival of the R143s, the R40Ms and R42s once again ran in solid sets. The R40M/R42 pair roamed freely on the BMT between 2000 and 2004; sometimes on Broadway, and sometimes on Eastern Division.

When CIY had the R40M's and R42's I mostly saw them in mixed consists.
It was actually quite funny to think about it. Between 1997-2000, the Q on 6th Avenue ran R40s and R42s. When the R40Ms were driven out of Eastern Division, they went to the <Q> and N as the N also received the R42s. The rest of the R42s somehow ended back on the J/Z. Now looking back into 2003, the N was Phase I R32s, R40s, R40Ms, and R42s with occasional R68s and more moving in later in the year. After Feb 2004, CIY "simplified" the situation by making the B and W entirely R40 and R40M. Leftover R40s and R42s went to the N. All these sets including the ones in Eastern Division were in fact solid sets.

Until the arrival of the R160s, the entire R42 fleet was out of ENY with the exception of 4665 which was reassigned to CIYD after the R143s bumped the R40Ms out of ENY.

The R42s showed up on the Q during the closure of the Williamsburg bridge, which reduced the need for trains at ENY. (oddly enough, Coney Island mixed these cars in consists with their R32s on occasion.)

Mixed consists of R32-R38s occurred LONG before 2000.

Archived