Next Car Class to retire?

ctrain

I believe before the GOH, certain R40Ms were linked with R27s/30s as seen in this QJ consist:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?5383

Also when the R40M were transferred to CI upon the arrival of the R143s, the R40Ms and R42s once again ran in solid sets. The R40M/R42 pair roamed freely on the BMT between 2000 and 2004; sometimes on Broadway, and sometimes on Eastern Division.

Looks like R42s in that pic. In the 1970s, almost anything pre R44 was mixed together on the B division and the A division mixed pairs of different types of cars.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The TA ran the 40M's and 42's in solid consists before the wreck happened. It wasn't till after the Willamsburg Bridge Wreck that the TA began linking 40M's and 42's in the same consists. In the case of the R32's and R38's, the TA began to link them in the same consist sometime in 2000.

The R32/38 Mix started in 1996, The R40M/42 mixes were all time and then after GOH they ran them solid for a while then mixed them again, Here was the assignments aat ENY from 1989-2004

The (J)/(Z): in the 1990's, Mostly R40M, and The Rest were R42's, a Slants poped up on the (J) only 3 times twice in 1994 and once in 2001

The (M): 100% R42, Put-ins were Ether R40M's or a Slant, In 1999 the Slants ran on the (M) due to a long time GO on the Willy B.

The (L): Mostly CI Rebuilt R42's and R40Slants with a few R40M's

After the R143's started coming in the R40 Slants got transferd 1st to CI followed By the R40M's and finaly 4900-4949 went to CI. The (M) started using More R40M's while the (J) started using more R42's, The Last R40M I spotted on the (J) was in Febuary of 2004, It was only 2 cars left.

While the J tended to be R40M-R42, Slants appeared far more than 3 times.

The M, while also more R40M-R42 than the J, had slants fairly regularly.

That said, the R40S trains out of ENY were overwhelmingly assigned to the L.

The L also had R40M-R42 running on it.

While the J tended to be R40M-R42, Slants appeared far more than 3 times.

The M, while also more R40M-R42 than the J, had slants fairly regularly.

That said, the R40S trains out of ENY were overwhelmingly assigned to the L.

The L also had R40M-R42 running on it.

The M also ran slants exclusively when it was temporarily extended down Sea Beach after 9/11. These slants are were all from the N.

It was actually quite funny to think about it. Between 1997-2000, the Q on 6th Avenue ran R40s and R42s. When the R40Ms were driven out of Eastern Division, they went to the <Q> and N as the N also received the R42s. The rest of the R42s somehow ended back on the J/Z. Now looking back into 2003, the N was Phase I R32s, R40s, R40Ms, and R42s with occasional R68s and more moving in later in the year. After Feb 2004, CIY "simplified" the situation by making the B and W entirely R40 and R40M. Leftover R40s and R42s went to the N. All these sets including the ones in Eastern Division were in fact solid sets.

The (N) was Phase I R32's only in 1988 before they got tranfered to Jamaica, The (N) only had Phase II R32's and The 6th ave (Q) never ran R42's becase all of the R42's were at ENY, CI borrowed some MK Rebuilts for the (N) from ENY for a few weeks then they broght them back to ENY.

Alittle Breif History:

When the Manhattan Bridge was Closed, The R32's from CI were on the 6th ave (S)huttle (Orange (S)) only for 5 and half months and They were Phase II's, That's why nobody did not see any R32's on the (N) in the 3rd quarter of 2001, And it was a 10 car train, The shuttle sometimes ran 1 trainset of R32's from jamaica yard, The Grand st shuttle was R46's from jamaica, The <Q> started using R40M's in The summer of 2003 as well as the (N). Jamaica was supposed to get the Slants from ENY 4400-4449 for (V) service but Jamaica decided to use R46's and take 24 Phase I's from pitkin and 26 R32 Phase II's from CI thats 50 more R32's for (E),(F) and (R) service, Jamaica had 350 R32's both Phase I and Phase II's Afeter December 2001 the Number of R32's totaled to 400, The R32's that are on on the (F) now came from the (G) that ran 8 car R32's with 6 75 foot R46's, The (R) started using More R32's during Rush Hours and The (V) was 100% R46, The (V) was supposed to be R40 slant with R32's.

R40Ms will be gone by mid-to late July at the very latest (that's my sheet BTW! thanks for looking). I don't want to pretend to be a mod when I'm not but this thread is kind of running a bit long for a relatively simple question...

R40Ms will be gone by mid-to late July at the very latest (that's my sheet BTW! thanks for looking). I don't want to pretend to be a mod when I'm not but this thread is kind of running a bit long for a relatively simple question...

Dude, I looked at your Sheet, The R32's are NOT Based out of Pitkin, All 206 R32's are based out of 207th st yard, Pikin only handles Currently R44's and R46's, Note A-A Unit R46's will also be at 207th st in the Near Futrue.

R42s ran on the (6th Ave) Q around the time of the Williamsburg Bridge shutdown in 1998. As I mentioned earlier, these sometimes ran in consists with the Coney Island based R32s.

R46s should start showing up at 207 around October, when they will be displacing R32s off of the A/C. (After all the R32/40M/42s are retired from Jamaica, where they are being directly replaced by R160s). After all 5 car sets are in, then the 4 car sets are scheduled to come in and replace the R42s on the J/Z. This should take place in early 2010.

At the current moment...

207 is entirely R32

Pitkin has R44 and R46.

The R32s which were on the F from 2001 on were running on the R prior to the initiation of V line service. These cars(not the specific cars, but the enlarged R32 fleet) came from Coney Island, where they were displaced by R40S/R40M from ENY. While R32s did show up on the G into the late 90s, they were fairly rare after 1992 or thereabouts.

The V was R46 from the start, and was intended to be such. The R40S rumor may come from the fact that the R40S fleet was used on the V line trial in september of 2001. These cars were spares from the <Q>, as the <Q>did not run on weekends. R32s also were running during this test.

Dude, I looked at your Sheet, The R32's are NOT Based out of Pitkin, All 206 R32's are based out of 207th st yard, Pikin only handles Currently R44's and R46's, Note A-A Unit R46's will also be at 207th st in the Near Futrue.

Thanks for the info, will fix

R42s ran on the (6th Ave) Q around the time of the Williamsburg Bridge shutdown in 1998. As I mentioned earlier, these sometimes ran in consists with the Coney Island based R32s.

R46s should start showing up at 207 around October, when they will be displacing R32s off of the A/C. (After all the R32/40M/42s are retired from Jamaica, where they are being directly replaced by R160s). After all 5 car sets are in, then the 4 car sets are scheduled to come in and replace the R42s on the J/Z. This should take place in early 2010.

At the current moment...

207 is entirely R32

Pitkin has R44 and R46.

I never really rode the (Q) like that, But I did hear that the (Q) did run R42 with R32's, Also those Borrowed R42's were on the (N) also, And Also, The R32's are last, Its in Paper, Even if they have to send Jamaica's 56 r32's to ENY pr just 50 and give the remaing 6 to 207th they will do it, The R42's will be done for by October-November, they are in bad shape and To Me they should have been gone before the R38's and r40 slants because they are in horrible shape.

I never really rode the (Q) like that, But I did hear that the (Q) did run R42 with R32's, Also those Borrowed R42's were on the (N) also, And Also, The R32's are last, Its in Paper, Even if they have to send Jamaica's 56 r32's to ENY pr just 50 and give the remaing 6 to 207th they will do it, The R42's will be done for by October-November, they are in bad shape and To Me they should have been gone before the R38's and r40 slants because they are in horrible shape.

Both the R40/Ms and R42s should've gone before the R38. I guess then there would've been a car shortage since the R160 options are coming in so slowly.

Both the R40/Ms and R42s should've gone before the R38. I guess then there would've been a car shortage since the R160 options are coming in so slowly.

Why would there be a car shortage? One train is only replaced once there is an R160 replacement for it.

Every single document I have seen has the R42 being the last fleet of 60 foot SMEEs remaining in service.

The R32s are only around now because they are the only cars capable of running on the C. If R42s could run on the C, the R32 fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean by now, and the Slants would still be running.

Every single document I have seen has the R42 being the last fleet of 60 foot SMEEs remaining in service.

The R32s are only around now because they are the only cars capable of running on the C. If R42s could run on the C, the R32 fleet would be at the bottom of the ocean by now, and the Slants would still be running.

No, the slants would be gone before the R32s. Trust me, the slants were in the absolute worse condition.

Such is not the case. Why do you think the R40Slants were reassigned to the C?

The intention was so that the R32 and R38 fleets could be replaced entirely.

Because the new stopping position resulted in delays and unsafe conditions, the R32 phase 1 fleet was retained to be used on the C line.

Because the new stopping position resulted in delays and unsafe conditions, the R32 phase 1 fleet was retained to be used on the C line.

no, original plans were to retire the R38s and slants before any of the MK R32s, but then those Phase II R32s began breaking down and (NYCT) got rid of them first, a huge mistake imo. R40s were assigned to the (C) to see if they would work there. R42s would be transferring from Jamaica to Pitkin to replace the R38s on the (A). if R42s were able to run on the (C), only Pitkin and ENY would be holding those cars (that meant no R42s on the (E)(F)(R)) and all remaining R32s in the system would be running on the (E) and only the (E). the (F)(R) would get the R160s so the R46s can be used to replaced the R40/40M/42s on the (A)(C). the R32s were never meant to retire before the R38s and R40 slants. they were supposed to retire before R40M/42s, but now because they are needed on the (C) and the fact that (NYCT) has finally realized that they are much better than the St. Louis cars, they will not retire until all 1662 R160s are in service. those 50 R42s at ENY will retire whenever the last 4-car R160A sets come in and believe me, they will come in before the last 5-car sets come in. if you can give me a single reason why anyone on earth would like the R42s or why (NYCT) wants to keep them last, i really need to know now.

The reason why the MK R42s are to be the last cars retired is a combination of overall car age and the amount of time since their SMS.

Whether the car could physically last another 10 years is not a big consideration when the last car of either type will be gone within a year.

there are no plans to put R32s at ENY. the last four-car R160A sets can replace any remaining R42s there.

this statement is totally wrong. R40 slants have always been planned to retire before R32s.

When R40/R40M/42s were assigned to the (C), all R32s were in Jamaica, so they were only meant to replace the R38s, which they have. idk where you are getting all of this inaccurate information from.

The reason why the MK R42s are to be the last cars retired is a combination of overall car age and the amount of time since their SMS.

Whether the car could physically last another 10 years is not a big consideration when the last car of either type will be gone within a year.

car age should not matter in retirement. if a 10-year-old car is in much worse shape than a 40-year-old car, the 10-year-old car should retire first. only the R32s and R42s went through SMS. the R38s and R40s did not have their floor panels replaced. do not forget the coney island R42s were the first cars replaced by the R160s primarily because of brake problems and low MDBF and they were the last cars to go through SMS. as soon as the R40Ms retire, the Jamaica R42s are going to the ocean followed by the R32s there. by the end of this year, only the 50 ENY R42s and 180 207th Street R32s will remain in service. the R32 retirement may begin first, but the ENY R42s will finish retirement quicker since there are only 50 cars compared to 180 R32s at 207th Street. in the past, (NYCT) tried to keep the R42s in service as long as possible just because they were newest cars set to be retired by R160s. this turned out to be a huge mistake considering how quickly they are deteriorating, so now they are trying to keep the Phase I R32s as long as possible because they are in the best condition of all retiring cars and i have a good feeling those cars will be pushed beyond their limits to provide service on the (C). they will limping into stations and their stainless steel car bodies will lose their shiny appearance.

Archived