Next Car Class to retire?

ctrain

If you think there is one single plan which has been made for the order of car retirements, then you are VERY mistaken.

Every single carfleet has been intended to be retired by the R160 first, from the R32 to the R44, at some point in time. At this moment, the last remaining fleet is expected to be the R42MK cars assigned to ENY. That is because their replacement R160 cars will be delivered last.

The plan prior to the reassignment of the R32 to Pitkin and the R40M/R42 to Jamaica was for: (this starts after the retirement of the R32(phase 2) assigned to Jamaica)

1. R160s to CI/ENY to displace the R40S/R40M/R42 to 207, Retiring the R38

2. R160s to Jamaica to retire R32(phase 1)/R42

3. R160s to Jamaica to displace R46 to Pitkin/207 retiring R40/R42

This was the plan in place throughout 2008, until the realization that the C line equipment swap was problematic.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there are no plans to put R32s at ENY. the last four-car R160A sets can replace any remaining R42s there.

this statement is totally wrong. R40 slants have always been planned to retire before R32s.

When R40/R40M/42s were assigned to the (C), all R32s were in Jamaica, so they were only meant to replace the R38s, which they have. idk where you are getting all of this inaccurate information from.

car age should not matter in retirement. if a 10-year-old car is in much worse shape than a 40-year-old car, the 10-year-old car should retire first. only the R32s and R42s went through SMS. the R38s and R40s did not have their floor panels replaced. do not forget the coney island R42s were the first cars replaced by the R160s primarily because of brake problems and low MDBF and they were the last cars to go through SMS. as soon as the R40Ms retire, the Jamaica R42s are going to the ocean followed by the R32s there. by the end of this year, only the 50 ENY R42s and 180 207th Street R32s will remain in service. the R32 retirement may begin first, but the ENY R42s will finish retirement quicker since there are only 50 cars compared to 180 R32s at 207th Street. in the past, (NYCT) tried to keep the R42s in service as long as possible just because they were newest cars set to be retired by R160s. this turned out to be a huge mistake considering how quickly they are deteriorating, so now they are trying to keep the Phase I R32s as long as possible because they are in the best condition of all retiring cars and i have a good feeling those cars will be pushed beyond their limits to provide service on the (C). they will limping into stations and their stainless steel car bodies will lose their shiny appearance.

I am Not Going say Anything, But 1 thing I am going to say I have Very Reliable Soruces that I won't Bring up and I know the Very Next Line to get R160's and I won't Bring that up but That will Take Place this Summer, The R32's at ENY is Just a Rumor but I think That Rumor is going to become a Fact, As For The R32's they will be Last, The R42's from ENY are From what I heard they are in Bad Shape and I don't think they are going to keep a Car Class that looks like total Crap, And The 2008 Plan was Correct, They were going to retire the R32's before the R42's but That was Proven Wrong, The R42's Are in Bad Shape and They are going BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!

I am not going to waste My Breath to Foamers, But We will see by the End of this year, But I do Know That the R32's will Start Retirement By December and the will be Due in Febuary or march of 2010, And I really don't care because to be Honest they already saved 4 R32's 3350/51 and 3352/53 and they are going to save a Phase I also, Trust Me When I Mean I know I know what they are going to do, I don't post this for nothing, But After today I won't post what I know I will just keep it to myself until it comes out.

And To Let EVERYBODY KNOW ALL THINGS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!!!!!!

The reason why the MK R42s are to be the last cars retired is a combination of overall car age and the amount of time since their SMS.

Whether the car could physically last another 10 years is not a big consideration when the last car of either type will be gone within a year.

Trust Me From what I hear from Both jamaica and ENY, They want the R42's Out, Trust Me I know People that Works with the TA and The All Told me that the R32's would be last due to the Fact that the R42's are causing Hell in both yards, I know the R40/42's that were on the (C) was to get rid of all of the R32/38's but that plan did not work, The R38's went bye-bye, The R42's are wrose when it comes to relabillty, the R32's are way relaible than the r42's. Trust Me this R42 thing about it being the Last SMEE, I have a Felling that's not going to Work.

if you can give me a single reason why anyone on earth would like the R42s, i really need to know now.

I like the R-42s. Just because you don't like the R-42s, does not mean that everyone else hates the R-42s. I grew up with the R-42s that ran on the (J), (L), (M), and (Z) lines. Although I like the R-32, R-38, and R-40 Slant more, I still like the R-42s. I really don't give a damn that many have rusted roofs and are in overall bad shape, beacause it does not make a difference. They will all be gone in about 6 months. And trust me, it is entirely possible for R-32s to show up at ENY. Right now, anything is possible. Eight months ago, who would have thought that R-42s would go 'en masse' to Jamaica? Who knows, maybe next week all the ENY R-42s will suddenly start catching fire while in service. What will they subsequently put in service? Maybe R-32s! All I want to say is just this: Please, please, PLEASE stop bashing the R-42s. There is no need to constantly display such hatred of a car class. There is also no need to impudently criticize someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SMEE RETIREMENTS. R-32 3838 KNOWS what he is talking about. GOOD NIGHT!

The R32's will be the last to go. The 42's really need to go.

I went to Concourse today and most of the retierd Trains were Mostly R42's and I would say 8-12 R40M and 6 R32 Phase I's from Jamaica but the rest were R42's,

I like the R-42s. Just because you don't like the R-42s, does not mean that everyone else hates the R-42s. I grew up with the R-42s that ran on the (J), (L), (M), and (Z) lines. Although I like the R-32, R-38, and R-40 Slant more, I still like the R-42s. I really don't give a damn that many have rusted roofs and are in overall bad shape, beacause it does not make a difference. They will all be gone in about 6 months. And trust me, it is entirely possible for R-32s to show up at ENY. Right now, anything is possible. Eight months ago, who would have thought that R-42s would go 'en masse' to Jamaica? Who knows, maybe next week all the ENY R-42s will suddenly start catching fire while in service. What will they subsequently put in service? Maybe R-32s! All I want to say is just this: Please, please, PLEASE stop bashing the R-42s. There is no need to constantly display such hatred of a car class. There is also no need to impudently criticize someone who ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SMEE RETIREMENTS. R-32 3838 KNOWS what he is talking about. GOOD NIGHT!

Agreed. I like catching R42s on the (J)(Z)

They were definitely best at ENY b/c they received the proper care back then. Every train type that has been stored at Jamaica had been cursed due to the poor maintenance. All I can say is thank god the T/A didn't put the R40 Slants in Jamaica b/c they would've been gone on day 1 due to their tendency to breakdown and Jamaica's extensive neglect. I personally don't like the R42s, but they are definitely a shadow of their former selves.

One reason, the TA could retire them more quickly.

The R40Ms are a part of the R40 fleet. Once the slants are gone, the Mods would follow.

The R42's from ENY are From what I heard they are in Bad Shape and I don't think they are going to keep a Car Class that looks like total Crap, And The 2008 Plan was Correct, They were going to retire the R32's before the R42's but That was Proven Wrong, The R42's Are in Bad Shape and They are going BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!

Trust Me From what I hear from Both jamaica and ENY, They want the R42's Out, Trust Me I know People that Works with the TA and The All Told me that the R32's would be last due to the Fact that the R42's are causing Hell in both yards, I know the R40/42's that were on the (C) was to get rid of all of the R32/38's but that plan did not work, The R38's went bye-bye, The R42's are wrose when it comes to relabillty, the R32's are way relaible than the r42's. Trust Me this R42 thing about it being the Last SMEE, I have a Felling that's not going to Work.
Since the 40M's in practice are more like 42's, yet in better condition, they should keep them until after the 42's are gone. They would just be like the best 100 of the 42's. It's ridiculous to get rid of them first because of a technical association with the slants. Imagine when the last 100 42's are left. Those could have been the solid 40M fleet instead, which are again in better condition, at least from what we can see on the outside.

If you think there is one single plan which has been made for the order of car retirements, then you are VERY mistaken.

Every single carfleet has been intended to be retired by the R160 first, from the R32 to the R44, at some point in time. At this moment, the last remaining fleet is expected to be the R42MK cars assigned to ENY. That is because their replacement R160 cars will be delivered last.

The plan prior to the reassignment of the R32 to Pitkin and the R40M/R42 to Jamaica was for: (this starts after the retirement of the R32(phase 2) assigned to Jamaica)

1. R160s to CI/ENY to displace the R40S/R40M/R42 to 207, Retiring the R38

2. R160s to Jamaica to retire R32(phase 1)/R42

3. R160s to Jamaica to displace R46 to Pitkin/207 retiring R40/R42

This was the plan in place throughout 2008, until the realization that the C line equipment swap was problematic.

Again, since at the end of this process, the (C) will either be 600 ft, or have to have the signs moved for 6 car 46's anyway, they really just should have kept the 40/42's, and just extended it to 10 cars then. All they did was delay the inevitable a bit.

Heh heh heh...we're back to this "which one is worst" crap again.

I say we just throw the 'best car class fighters' in an abandoned station, fire up the third rail and do a little long jump competition to see who wins.

Memo to posters: the subway cars don't care what you post about them...

Heh heh heh...we're back to this "which one is worst" crap again.

I say we just throw the 'best car class fighters' in an abandoned station, fire up the third rail and do a little long jump competition to see who wins.

Memo to posters: the subway cars don't care what you post about them...

You mean they don't have any feelings? :eek:

All I'm going to say is that I'm surprised the rest of the R42's weren't retired after the Phase II R32's.

I think it should have been (and still should be) (order from first to last):

1) CI R42

2) GE R32

3) MK R42

4) Phase II R32's

5) R38

6) R40 AND R40M

7) Phase I R32's

All I'm going to say is that I'm surprised the rest of the R42's weren't retired after the Phase II R32's.

I think it should have been (and still should be) (order from first to last):

1) CI R42

2) GE R32

3) MK R42

4) R38

5) R40 AND R40M

6) Phase I R32's

I agree, With your order, The R42's should have went before both R38's/R40's.

Reading it again it looks like I forgot to put in Phase II R32's, what do you think now? I mean I like R32;s a lot but the phase II had major problems.

Not really, But their Brakes did not agree with the Westinghouse packages.

Archived