Training for conductor

ChynaDoll

Hello I'm a new member thanks for welcoming me here. I start training as a conductor on 06/29/09 FINALLY!!!, I currently am employed by the city. I need help figuring out when to resign (can't afford to be left unemployed), I don't have any sick/comp/vacation time because I resently had surgery and my return date back to work is 06/22/09, what's a girl to do.....

Hello I'm a new member thanks for welcoming me here. I start training as a conductor on 06/29/09 FINALLY!!!, I currently am employed by the city. I need help figuring out when to resign (can't afford to be left unemployed), I don't have any sick/comp/vacation time because I resently had surgery and my return date back to work is 06/22/09, what's a girl to do.....

The moment you report the first day of training you start getting paid. You can pick your pay location, and get paid every 2 weeks.

Oh and don't take any sick days without a doctor's note during the 12 month probation or they will terminate you.

I believe you can take a leave of absents from your city job. A female in my conductors class came over from traffic, and she had a year to go back to her old job if she wanted to. Welcome to the MTA, you will find that life is interesting undergrouind, enjoy school car, for that will be the best three months you will have at the MTA for a long time. For you know when you are going to work, and what time you are coming home, and you have weekends and holidays off. When you work Extra Extra Board you will find you have very little control of your personal life.

Honestly it's a good job once you have time in the position and able to pick a job, seniorty is every thing down here. The reason I stated that you have very little control of your personal life, is because as extre extra, you know your start time or location only 48 hours in advance, and if the crew office puts you and board, you could clear between 8 hours to 14 hours later. If you love overtime and need money you will see pleanty of it. Good Luck at School Car. In three months I might see you posting down the road

WOW! Thanks alot now I really have something to look forward to.
Work with yur T/O!You and the T/O are ONE.Schoolcar will scare you into "Snitching" on every little thing...:) Stay OFF that radio if you can, and keep it moving.Have fun in schoolcar and pay close attention to yur TSS's...Cheers!!:)

Work with yur T/O!You and the T/O are ONE.Schoolcar will scare you into "Snitching" on every little thing...:) Stay OFF that radio if you can, and keep it moving.Have fun in schoolcar and pay close attention to yur TSS's...Cheers!!:)

Yup. Stay off that radio, so that when your idiot partner backs the train up 95 feet, you can share the pain of days in the street! Or maybe you can be the quiet one that " forgets" that your partner overran a station by 3 car lengths and then continued on without stopping, thereby pissing off the Sup't who missed his stop and called it in. I could go on, but it's like taking candy from a baby - way to easy. instead, if everyone did their jobs correctly - and fessed up when they screwed up - we could catch the people who need help before they fire themselves (and get rid of the walking "disasters waiting to happen").

Yup. Stay off that radio, so that when your idiot partner backs the train up 95 feet, you can share the pain of days in the street! Or maybe you can be the quiet one that " forgets" that your partner overran a station by 3 car lengths and then continued on without stopping, thereby pissing off the Sup't who missed his stop and called it in. I could go on, but it's like taking candy from a baby - way to easy. instead, if everyone did their jobs correctly - and fessed up when they screwed up - we could catch the people who need help before they fire themselves (and get rid of the walking "disasters waiting to happen").
"IF" you can..."IF" Obviously that T/O who backed up the train 95 feet was STUPID!!!There are cameras all over that place!Secondly,that moron was on a RAT 160 and the C/R lied and said he/she pulled the cord and "THEY"(yur people) found out (black box)and everyone got burnt!That being said,YES absolutely call that in because you have NO choice!Things happen down here nobody is perfect.I'm sure you have bones in yur closet when you was a T/O...How soon we shall forget??:confused: I think yur taking it to the next level.I said "little" things-putting a door out,going BIE because yur hand slipped and things like that.I'm sorry,I gotta take my chances and roll the dice.Management is NOT here to help you...believe me!Schoolcar...maybe?Those guys out there on the road

are wolves man...

"IF" you can..."IF" Obviously that T/O who backed up the train 95 feet was STUPID!!!There are cameras all over that place!Secondly,that moron was on a RAT 160 and the C/R lied and said he/she pulled the cord and "THEY"(yur people) found out (black box)and everyone got burnt!

Agreed - he was stupid. Both he and the C/R lied, as they both claimed only a 1 foot back-up. Everyone got burnt because the TD and TW/O watched the move and called it in. Stupid lost his handles before the train left the tunnel. It was also the second such incident in about two years. That being said, I can tell you of a number of people who have been glad they had a train with a black box, because it corroborated their highly improbable story and got them off the hook.

Oh, and "my people" are School Car.

That being said,YES absolutely call that in because you have NO choice!Things happen down here nobody is perfect.I'm sure you have bones in yur closet when you was a T/O...How soon we shall forget??:confused:

Forget? I can show every place in the system where I had a disagreement with a signal or someone on the roadbed or a TSS. However, I have NEVER overrun a station (except during C/R practicals, where it is required). As a T/O, I had three work gangs written up after they scared the brown stuff out of me (there was a fourth, but they were just annoying). But that's beside the point. I'm not asking for perfection - just for you to do your job. That means when you screw up, call it in. Half the damned incidents would go away if the road crews didn't try to hide things.

I think yur taking it to the next level.I said "little" things-putting a door out,going BIE because yur hand slipped and things like that.I'm sorry,I gotta take my chances and roll the dice.

No "thinking" about it - of course I did. You gave some bad advice and I gave some extreme examples of what happens. With any kind of luck, my "extreme" will out do your advice and I'll have one more person on the road who actually thinks about what they're doing.

Now if you want to take your chances when these "little things" happen, that's fine - go work OPTO. If you're going to work a job with a C/R, don't ask that person to put his job on the line for you - it's not fair to him.

Management is NOT here to help you...believe me!Schoolcar...maybe?Those guys out there on the road are wolves man...

Have you ever tried asking management for help? They're not all evil, you know. Same goes for the road TSSs.

I don't think my advice was bad.All I'm saying is the T/O and C/R are a team out there.Since you roll with Schoolcar I DON'T expect you to agree with ANYTHING that I'm saying.It's two worlds out there!You have Schoolcar and you have the real world.I'm in NO way saying the teachings of schoolcar is wrong,I just gotta do what I gotta do to stay under the radar.TA make you lie!!You can't be honest with these people because the repercussion is too severe!They wan't perfection and that's not being realistic...Now,if yur a jack-azz and constantly have incidents then you gotta lay in that bed.C'mon bro you know how it is...

They wan't perfection and that's not being realistic..

This statement is 100% TRUE. They want you to be perfect for a 25+ year career when even there machines and technology aren't close to perfect!!!

Archived