Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Does the MetroCard Vending Machine Record Video?

All,

I am writing my graduate thesis on subject of privacy and surveillance in metropolitan subway systems and am hoping you can answer a couple specific queries in regard to the NYC MetroCard Vending Machine (MVM) manufactured by Cubic Transportation Systems.

1. Does each MVM contain a video camera recording the activities of the user?

2. If so, does the MVM initiate the recording upon a users launch of the UI? Or does the MVM record at all times?

3. If in fact the MVM records video, does it send the video to a control center in real-time? If so, how is the video stored (tapes, digital database, etc.), and for how long?

4. If not, does the MVM store its recorded video locally? If so, how often is it retrieved by the MTA and by what method?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate any help you can offer. I will follow up with a couple other questions once I can establish these basics.

Cheers,

Jonah Green

University of British Columbia

The mirror is to watch who is behind you, the cameras are small tinted circular windows above the interaction area.

1950509364_64c3c09940.jpg?v=0

normal_mini-IMG_0564.JPG

Notice the dot? That's an ATM style camera. Some metrocard machines have strip mirrors with more than one camera, or a wide angle camera.

- A

All,

I am writing my graduate thesis on subject of privacy and surveillance in metropolitan subway systems and am hoping you can answer a couple specific queries in regard to the NYC MetroCard Vending Machine (MVM) manufactured by Cubic Transportation Systems.

1. Does each MVM contain a video camera recording the activities of the user?

2. If so, does the MVM initiate the recording upon a users launch of the UI? Or does the MVM record at all times?

3. If in fact the MVM records video, does it send the video to a control center in real-time? If so, how is the video stored (tapes, digital database, etc.), and for how long?

4. If not, does the MVM store its recorded video locally? If so, how often is it retrieved by the MTA and by what method?

Thank you for your time, I really appreciate any help you can offer. I will follow up with a couple other questions once I can establish these basics.

Cheers,

Jonah Green

University of British Columbia

Im not sure exactly when it starts recording the video but I would think once you start the transaction it starts recording. There is a computer with a UPS battery backup inside the machines and that is where the video is stored when it records. It is used for fraud pourposes, robbery, and machine tampering. There is also a very loud deafening piezo alarm that is activated when you try to tamper with the machines in a certain way.