The Taking Of Pelham 123; Real R142A or a mock-up?

mkoyf

Welcome and do enjoy your stay!! The R142A used in the film is NOT the offical R142A, they used an SMEE R62 (Converted to an R142A) from the (3) seeing that it can easily be decoupled in the film unlike the R142/As which is not SMEE. the film was done in a few places, mainly Flushing and Brighton Lines + IND Fulton St at Hoyt St. No Pelham Line, wish it was tho B) ...

There was a real R142A when they showed el shots, and the part where Garber goes home. Also when the train pulled into 42nd Street, that was a real R142A (6). The rest was the "R162" which is basically a R62A with a 142A front end. The B end was done wrong with a LCD tron and headlights. A interior shots were done on a mock-up R160B interior.

I remember when I seen them filming one time at Grand Central at 2AM Sunday Morning and on the (F) at 18 Ave I seen a 5 car R142A but they replaced the first 2 numbers as 88. In the Movie the cab showed 74. Ofcause a R142A can never run without a B Car so I don't know what that car was but I guess it would have to be a R62 made to look like a R142A.

in april 2008 i saw R142A signed up as a (6) running threw flushing express tracks,at first i thought they were testing the R142A 10 car set, but then i saw cameras at the platform and roof tops of some buildings. so i think in some scenes they used a real R142A

During summer last year they did use a real R142 on the flushing line and the R62 mocked up as a R142 on the culver line. I saw it at Church Ave waiting for a local (F) after the one I was on was going to skip Ditmas Ave on my way to Trainworld.

I guess we were headed the same way. I also saw the R142 with all the cameras at Church Ave. I saw the sign saying Pelham 123 on the side. I went to Trainworld that day too.

I guess we were headed the same way. I also saw the R142 with all the cameras at Church Ave. I saw the sign saying Pelham 123 on the side. I went to Trainworld that day too.

OOHHHHHHHH MY GOOOODD!!

THATS WHAT IT WAS!!! OHHHHHH B):cool::cool:

See, last year i saw a R142 at Church on the (F) and I was like wtf, and now I know why it was there, hahahah:cool::cool:

While it may be fun to pick out all the 'mistakes' made in the production, I will say to the producer's credit at least it was shot on the real deal. Not like other films that try to pass off places like Toronto or even LA as the New York Subway.

• 2 weeks later...
Haha we model railroaders all know that Trainworld is the best in the country price and service wise. Frank is the best while Gary has gone into retirement i guess... I love that store. I will be getting the R27/30 soon as well as some other goodies....

Frank is a wise guy. Always telling me how bad the Mets are and how crazy people are in Staten Island. Gary, I miss him, he is a good guy, handled all my purchases. Wish him well. Frank is good too, a bit funny.

• 1 year later...

(NYCT)

i saw a preview and it looks like the 6 is not real what do u think?:cry:(6)<6>(MTA)(NYCT)
Its was a R62 & brought to 207th st Shop too look like a R142 as u notice the numbers are not the same Head Car Outside Cab #8837 & Inside Cab #7340 in the New movie as the old movie the Head Car is #7339

So many things in that movie are fake. They used stock footage of actual R142As for a few scenes, and they used a sound recording, but other than that, it's not a real one.

Don't even get me started on how they ran the (6) to Coney Island...

Unneccesary bump, but just to be clear...

A retrofitted R62 was used for exteriorshots. An R160 was used for scenes inside the train. (I know it makes sense...)

An R62A was used for most of the shots,it was retrofitted to like an R142/A.an R142A was used for one secne.no R160's were ever used in the movie.

Still haven't seen the movie yet, but I don't think he's wrong about the R160B being used to film a few interior scenes. Again will have to see for myself.

They did use R160s for some of the interior shots along with a sound stage.

They did use R160s for some of the interior shots along with a sound stage.

From what i saw,the interior shots were done on a mock tunnel that was made for the movie.i don't remember ever seeing any R160 cars used in the movie.

There never will be another like the original 1974 The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 or another like the original book, copyright 1972, by Mr. John Godey.

For a good comparison, watch the original 1974 movie prior to watching the remake movie. Then enjoy it for what it is - entertainment.

The remake is kind of like The French Connection, a good movie, but many differences from the book, copyright 1969, by Mr. Robin Moore.

Archived