Vacation during training and depots

bronxbomber2

Well i start training on the 22nd of June for B/O and i had one question. i have atrip planned for late august that i already paid for and have copies of the plane tickets reciept to show as proof that it was scheduled prior to being hired. so what do u guys think am i out of money for the trip or can i show a superintendant this information and still go on vacation without any consequences? im thinking if it means me having a problem with the MTA than ill just eat the $800 i paid for the trip. also i wanted to know if anyone knows what good depots are there in the bronx to choose from. Thanks.

Well i start training on the 22nd of June for B/O and i had one question. i have atrip planned for late august that i already paid for and have copies of the plane tickets reciept to show as proof that it was scheduled prior to being hired. so what do u guys think am i out of money for the trip or can i show a superintendant this information and still go on vacation without any consequences? im thinking if it means me having a problem with the MTA than ill just eat the $800 i paid for the trip. also i wanted to know if anyone knows what good depots are there in the bronx to choose from. Thanks.

There are people who would love to have your problem. You waited a long time for this and to pass it up for a vacation makes no sense at all. If you were serious about becoming a B/O you wouldn't even have to consider this. You can take that trip some other time,you will get 2 weeks vacation in your 1st year if I remember correctly.

If I was the superintendent and somebody came up to me with this scenario,I would say ok,enjoy your vacation,just sign your resignation letter and you are free to go.B)

You should be able to take your vacation but seeing how miserable some of these low lives who run the MTA are, they would probably have a shit eating grin knowing you have to pass up your vacation. These are the types of people who get enjoyment and find humor when someone else falls and gets hurt.

Seriously speaking, and not trying to be a wiseguy here, but it would definitely be in your best interest to either eat the plane tickets, or change the tickets to leave on a Friday night after training and return on a Sunday night if the change fees aren't too steep. The chances of the TA allowing you to pause training to go on vacation are less than zero.

you can forget about the vacation for sure. and guess what, you won't have any vacation for rest of this year. and you'll have 6 vacation days for 2010, but these 6 days will be in january 2010 most likely. because that's the only time slot left for you to pick.

i think kingsbridge is good, since it's always short on B/O. that means you'll have higher seniority in there compare to other depots.

yeah i understand but i know i wouldve been out of training when the trip came up. but i guess it is what it is.. im not going to take it if it risks losing the job. what about depots anyone?

It doesn't matter if your done with training or not. Once you take the job the TA owns you for years and they take that power very seriously. Like I said before you will work all summer, all holidays, and all weekends for many years.

I did one job, and do another. Seniority in buses move alot faster than in RTO. It's actually no comparison. If you get in good with the depot union peoples (and are a good looking female), you can get off on the holidays, but most likely not your first year. As for depots, well Gun Hill has got plenty of NG Orion VII Hybrid buses, and those up kept artic buses for the Bx12. Kingsbridge, has got garbage, still has garbage, but their garbage does run (why do they S on KB, I don't know). Depot seniority does fluctuate in buses. In the Bx, KB can be it, then Gun Hill gets the nod, West Farms was the lowest. KB always does need drivers, and if you want overtime, you can get it there. Rookie routes, are the M100, Bx13, Bx41, Bx9, and at times the Bx1/2, all late PM's when you get to pick. In my 2nd year, my last picked run before I came to RTO, even though it was 41hrs, I did get a run on the Bx7, and was off by 8:30pm Mon-Fri, 9pm Sat, and 9:30 Sun. I picked a run, in my first year, the second month, for the Spring pick.......

RTO, well what my co-workers say is true there. It sucks a$$ waiting to move up here. But I love the job though.....

I did one job, and do another. Seniority in buses move alot faster than in RTO. It's actually no comparison. If you get in good with the depot union peoples (and are a good looking female), you can get off on the holidays, but most likely not your first year. As for depots, well Gun Hill has got plenty of NG Orion VII Hybrid buses, and those up kept artic buses for the Bx12. Kingsbridge, has got garbage, still has garbage, but their garbage does run (why do they S on KB, I don't know). Depot seniority does fluctuate in buses. In the Bx, KB can be it, then Gun Hill gets the nod, West Farms was the lowest. KB always does need drivers, and if you want overtime, you can get it there. Rookie routes, are the M100, Bx13, Bx41, Bx9, and at times the Bx1/2, all late PM's when you get to pick. In my 2nd year, my last picked run before I came to RTO, even though it was 41hrs, I did get a run on the Bx7, and was off by 8:30pm Mon-Fri, 9pm Sat, and 9:30 Sun. I picked a run, in my first year, the second month, for the Spring pick.......

RTO, well what my co-workers say is true there. It sucks a$$ waiting to move up here. But I love the job though.....

I always thought the Bx13 was a senior route... go figure. Before I go off-topic, I'll say go with KB. Most of the 40 footers are awful (unless you get a 6000/6200) but the passengers generally aren't as bad/crazy as those in GH & WF territory.

Slightly Off-topic: Why is KB always short buses and operators?

If I was you and had this trip planned I would be bummed....but I would try to move the trip back till after I was off of probation.....that is all you can do my friend......good luck.....what list are you from?

aaahhh list 5025...I had list number 604 and passed it up.....I am @ the other bus company MTA has....u know the one that just got a contract with parity and reto pay?? Good luck buddy......this job is better then being a bartender.....u will meet all sorts......and my fav....overtime.....

thanks for the tip. what depot are you out of? how was your first year on the job?

CPBO works out of the College Point Depot in Queens. Now with the new contract and parity with the other bus divisions,they should give the new hires the option to go to any of the 39 depots within the 5 boroughs.

Now with the new contract and parity with the other bus divisions,they should give the new hires the option to go to any of the 39 depots within the 5 boroughs.

What you are talking about is exactly what the TA wants it's called regional bus and the union has been fighting it for years. It is one of the main reasons our contract went to arbitration. Making a regional bus would screw alot of people out of there hard earned seniority rights.

im from list 5025. so i guess the three best depots in the bronx are gunhill, KB, and west Farms. which has the most overtime and do they still give those 12hr jobs?

Well those 3 are technically the only Bronx depots. I mean Amsterdam is still Bronx Division but has no Bronx routes.

I always thought the Bx13 was a senior route... go figure. Before I go off-topic, I'll say go with KB. Most of the 40 footers are awful (unless you get a 6000/6200) but the passengers generally aren't as bad/crazy as those in GH & WF territory.

Slightly Off-topic: Why is KB always short buses and operators?

It is a senior route, but for PM's, rookies can pick it. It's only 40hrs pay.......

As for why they are short on operators and buses, well look at the buses KB gets most of the time (they stay breaking down), and as for operators, well in a high seniority depot, seniors know how to take off in droves. Plus I don't think they hire enough from the beginning in that depot........

thanks for the tip. what depot are you out of? how was your first year on the job?

First year was ok.....it was a struggle actually.....low pay and being on the Extra List.....but when u get out of the first 7 days in Zerega ( you have to qualify, you have the job but you can be put out in the first 7 if you don't show them you can drive....stay away from the curbs and do push and pull and drive slow...you are in no rush and stop as soon as you see the red hand blinking do not take any yellow lights).....enjoy the next month.....cause after that you will be on your own to deal with passengers and all that comes with being the captain of the ship....just keep it Hi and Bye and you should do well...... I remember driving around with directions in one hand and steering wheel in the other....lol

CPBO works out of the College Point Depot in Queens. Now with the new contract and parity with the other bus divisions,they should give the new hires the option to go to any of the 39 depots within the 5 boroughs.

na we only can change in the 7 old private lines depots......but who knows what the next contract will state.....

First year was ok.....it was a struggle actually.....low pay and being on the Extra List.....but when u get out of the first 7 days in Zerega ( you have to qualify, you have the job but you can be put out in the first 7 if you don't show them you can drive....stay away from the curbs and do push and pull and drive slow...you are in no rush and stop as soon as you see the red hand blinking do not take any yellow lights).....enjoy the next month.....cause after that you will be on your own to deal with passengers and all that comes with being the captain of the ship....just keep it Hi and Bye and you should do well...... I remember driving around with directions in one hand and steering wheel in the other....lol

na we only can change in the 7 old private lines depots......but who knows what the next contract will state.....

CBPO, when you was first hired did you ever have any serious moving violations in the past and if you did, did you tell them during pre-employment.

CBPO, when you was first hired did you ever have any serious moving violations in the past and if you did, did you tell them during pre-employment.

Lying or purposely omitting offenses on your pre-employment application is a sure-fire ticket to being terminated, even if you complete your probation. Be careful.

Lying or purposely omitting offenses on your pre-employment application is a sure-fire ticket to being terminated, even if you complete your probation. Be careful.
I kinda figure that but who can remember every ticket they get, The dmv tells you to look at your abstract and mines as to date doesnt have anything on it, so what is a bus hopeful to do.

I kinda figure that but who can remember every ticket they get, The dmv tells you to look at your abstract and mines as to date doesnt have anything on it, so what is a bus hopeful to do.

I would only put what's on the abstract unless they specifically ask for a certain amount of years back.

Archived