Worth Street..

Aqueduct

I got to see a real treat today, I was going towards the City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge station on the (6) and it made a stop right in front of the abandoned station knwn as Worth Street. The train was delayed in front of Worth for about five to six minutes. Being the opportunist I that I am, I went between the cars and took a good look at the station. If it wasn't for the lights from the subway cars, you wouldn't be able to see diddly squat. I wish I had my digital camera on me though, I really missed an opportunity on this one.

I also stayed on for the City Hall loop and saw 18th street and took the shuttle at 42nd street and hopped on the (1) to see the 91st street station.

If you neve been to the City Hall Loop, you can! Just get on the (6), after brooklyn bridge u will see it, and then the train will stop at Uptown track. Its legal btw!

BTW dont cap your title its against forum policy!

um no, it's just that some employees don't force you out while others do.

well i understand the workers. But dont you hear the announcement on the R142A (6) that Charlie makes? He says that the next stop will be Brooklyn Bridge City hall on the uptown track... Otherwise it would be illegal if there was nothing..

um no, it's just that some employees don't force you out while others do.

Not to argue with you, but we had this discussion a while ago as I remember, and some employees said it was revenue tracks, so technically it is allowed. :P If the old SF was still in service, it would not be legal to take a (5) along the inner loop because it's non-revenue tracks. Now it's illegal anyway, since the station is closed forever, if you know what I mean! :)

Can we stop saying something is legal or illegal when regarding MTA policy. Unless there is a law about it, it's not legal or illegal.

So no more about this... I still go on it sometimes. But i dont care if it is or not. If it is illegal i wont go, if it is legal ill go. If I dunno, well we dunno...

Anyways lets plz get back on topic.....

I was in the end car on the (6) line to see City Hall today, I hit up all the abandonded stations on the IRT lines in manhattan today. That old station is quite a sight to see.

Yup welcome to 1904 if u r down there :P

Noisy as hell if you are standing between the cars to get a good look and not the scratchitti resistant reflection through the windows.

The 18th street and 91st street stations go by in a blur, you could barely tell there used to be an active station there.

Noisy as hell if you are standing between the cars to get a good look and not the scratchitti resistant reflection through the windows.

The 18th street and 91st street stations go by in a blur, you could barely tell there used to be an active station there.

thats becuz its a loop. and the Train Shoes scraps the 3rd rail hard, which makes so much noise as hell. Its like the Old South Ferry Loop on the (1) u need a damn ear plug or your ears hurt x(

thats becuz its a loop. and the Train Shoes scraps the 3rd rail hard, which makes so much noise as hell. Its like the Old South Ferry Loop on the (1) u need a damn ear plug or your ears hurt x(
It's the wheels that rub against the tracks that make the noise not the shoes.

Since we're on the subject of City Hall Station, I have a dumb question.

Why did they close it in the first place? Platform not long enough for the modern trains?

Huge gaps between the platform and trains due to the curvature of the tracks.

The gaps are huge and the station can only platform 5 cars. Early IRT cars only had doors on the end so the gap issue was not an issue at all. Later IRT cars that had a 3rd door in the middle (this is before the R12/14 and later cars) the conductor could open all 3 doors per car at regular station but not have the 3rd middle door open at City Hall. Plus the City Hall station is very close to Brooklyn Bridge, the same with Worth Street so both were abandon.

The gaps are huge and the station can only platform 5 cars. Early IRT cars only had doors on the end so the gap issue was not an issue at all. Later IRT cars that had a 3rd door in the middle (this is before the R12/14 and later cars) the conductor could open all 3 doors per car at regular station but not have the 3rd middle door open at City Hall. Plus the City Hall station is very close to Brooklyn Bridge, the same with Worth Street so both were abandon.

Agreed, it made little fiscal sense to expand the station to 10 cars or give it gap fillers because it never got that much ridership and it was close to Brooklyn Bridge (on the (4), (5) and (6)) and to City Hall (on the (R) and (W)), not to mention tight security around the area as well.

Actually it was an issue back then even, people just weren't as lawsuit happy as they became later on. The first gap incident was opening night, a woman fell and broke her hip.

Of course the later IRT cars didn't help, moving the doors 10 feet off the car ends and adding the center door. The station, being under the park, and being local only, never got the ridership Brooklyn Bridge did, so with the cost of gap fillers, that's why they added them to old South Ferry (heavily used) vs. City Hall (rarely used)

• 2 weeks later...

Blam! I had a camera on hand today and tooks some pictures on the southbound (6). Behold!

IMG_0226.jpg

A column with its name in all its grimy glory.

IMG_0230.jpg

Stairwell not in picture, it is to left.

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

Graffiti

IMG_0231.jpg

A doorway at the end of the platform.

The one good city hall picture I got, missed taking a picture of the stairwell leading up to the park by seconds:

IMG_0235.jpg

Blam! I had a camera on hand today and tooks some pictures on the southbound (6). Behold!

IMG_0226.jpg

A column with its name in all its grimy glory.

Oy. I have to tell this to buffs ALL the time and it should be pretty obvious but DONT RIDE BETWEEN CARS TO GET SHOTS. The train crews do not want to scrape what's left of the many pieces of you off the track should you slip. /end rant.

Oy. I have to tell this to buffs ALL the time and it should be pretty obvious but DONT RIDE BETWEEN CARS TO GET SHOTS. The train crews do not want to scrape what's left of the many pieces of you off the track should you slip. /end rant.

Yeah man, be careful. That's why they placed fines for walking between the cars to avert injury. It's really an unpopular law, but it works most of the time.

Okay, let me address some issues here:

1. Good pics

2. Don't stand in the middle of train cars, that is illegal (and plus you could hurt yourself if you are not careful)

3. While not exactly an issue of legality, passengers were not allowed to go through the City Hall loop until a few years ago. The announcements before ordered that all passengers must get off the train. Now, passengers may go through it, since the trackage was redefined as part of revenue trackage (since the trains will have to go to the other side regardless and that there is inadequate space for lay-ups). Announcements were changed, saying that the next stop is "Brooklyn Bridge, on the uptown platform", this hints at the changed policy.

4. City Hall station remained close, again, due to the restricted constraints. Also more people were using Brooklyn Bridge station, since it was an express station and that it was closer to the former BMT elevated terminal.

5. City Hall station, will possibly, remain closed forever due to the security issues. (The station sits under the City Hall vicinity)

Archived