Bergen Lower Level

Aqueduct

Just checked Brennan's site (the abandoned subway encyclopedia) the only landmark of the Lower Level is some giant metal doors on the upper level. How slim are the chances of getting a tour through a few of these forbidden areas with someone that works with the MTA?

You will not be able to see the lower level at Bergen for the next few years since the Culver viaduct work will make access by train impossible. You could get down there with someone who works for the TA, but then that person could lose their job for it.

Yeah, especially since there are no switches between local and express between Bergen Street and Fourth Avenue. Personally I hope for express service but an elevator would need to be installed at Bergen Street because most passengers WILL grumble about climbing stairs for local service.

The rumors that I have always heard were if they every start that express service in the future the train will not stop at Bergen on the express only the local trains. They aren't going to open the lower level to the public. This is just in house rumor though.

The rumors that I have always heard were if they every start that express service in the future the train will not stop at Bergen on the express only the local trains. They aren't going to open the lower level to the public. This is just in house rumor though.

I heard this from Wikipedia, but I barely listen to what Wikipedia says unless I update it (lol). Um, hasn't anyone heard of next train indicators though???

There is also only one stair on each platform. That won't fly! They'll have to close one platform, install more stairs and an elevator (or two), and then do likewise on the opposite platform.

I heard this from Wikipedia, but I barely listen to what Wikipedia says unless I update it (lol). Um, hasn't anyone heard of next train indicators though???

There is also only one stair on each platform. That won't fly! They'll have to close one platform, install more stairs and an elevator (or two), and then do likewise on the opposite platform.

um why? There are only one set of stairs for each platform at Broadway Junction on the (A)/© and it seems to manage the heavy flow of people just fine.

Um, Bergen Street has two stairs ways to the lower level on each platform. That is what is behind those large metal doors on the platform. Also there is no way you can put an elevator in that station since if it was built on the platform, it would block it off. If you built an elevator into the platform wall, it would be within the building line. Also since there is no mezz. level, a fare control area would have to be built on the street level of the elevator. Elevators won't happen at Bergen.

Um, Bergen Street has two stairs ways to the lower level on each platform. That is what is behind those large metal doors on the platform. Also there is no way you can put an elevator in that station since if it was built on the platform, it would block it off. If you built an elevator into the platform wall, it would be within the building line. Also since there is no mezz. level, a fare control area would have to be built on the street level of the elevator. Elevators won't happen at Bergen.

Not necessarily; Church Avenue on the (2) and (5) don't have a surface fare control area.

Realistically, there isn't anything wrong with Bergen Lower which would prevent it from being reopened to the public without a little bit of work; I've been down there quite a few times before the tower fire and would walk the plat when the LL would be a stash point for the money train.

What they would have to do is install flourescent lighting, remove the steel doors and its supports, retile the walls and replace the rubbing boards. Not a difficult job to do.

If the MTA wants to save money, I think they might as well permanently abandon the Bergen St lower level. Not only do they need to drill new circuitry for the new lights, but also replace a bunch of other signalling equipment, install wall/floor tiles, paint structures, and "give it a new shine." Even if the Culver Express returns, the station would only be used during weekdays until midnight since there are no switches to the local tracks south of the station. And to avoid the confusion before, the T/A would need to install display boards indicating where each line is stopping as well as gates to block off the station when it's not in used. Besides when the F runs express and bypasses the lower level station, the V another 6th Avenue would still make the local run through the station. If you ask me, I'd rather abandon a part-time used level than to restore it into a modern station.

Besides when the F runs express and bypasses the lower level station, the V another 6th Avenue would still make the local run through the station. If you ask me, I'd rather abandon a part-time used level than to restore it into a modern station.

I agree. An express service could simply skip the LL. No need to fix it.

I agree. An express service could simply skip the LL. No need to fix it.

I have to disagree; what's the point of having a station and not using it? Plus, riders who want local service between Bergen and 7th will be ticked because (F) riders won't have access to local stations. The LL station needs to be reopened.

I have to disagree; what's the point of having a station and not using it? Plus, riders who want local service between Bergen and 7th will be ticked because (F) riders won't have access to local stations. The LL station needs to be reopened.
You're assuming that the (F) will be running express and that there will be express service period.

To reiterate what I stated, why restore a station to shine when it's only going to be used 18 hrs hrs a day, and 5 days a week? Those F riders would become V riders b/c it really wouldn't make much of a difference once it gets to Manhattan. Remember, the F and V would remain as 6th Avenue Locals.

Bergen Street's ridership may justify reopening the lower level IF express service were to be reinstated. The problems lie within the station's design, with two separate levels and no crossover between directions. But I can't see trains running express from Jay to 7th Avenue with no stops -- it doesn't make sense to skip one of the busier stations in the area.

I want that Lower Level opened, it would bring great express service to Coney Island during the summer. The lower level isn't is horrible shape, it one of those station that can be easily restored unlike Worth Street on the (6) or the Upper Level of Roosevelt which will never be used.

To reiterate what I stated, why restore a station to shine when it's only going to be used 18 hrs hrs a day, and 5 days a week? Those F riders would become V riders b/c it really wouldn't make much of a difference once it gets to Manhattan. Remember, the F and V would remain as 6th Avenue Locals.

Um, the (V) is NOT coming to Brooklyn! I have no Idea where you heard that bit from at all. Check your sources please.

Bergen Street's ridership may justify reopening the lower level IF express service were to be reinstated. The problems lie within the station's design, with two separate levels and no crossover between directions. But I can't see trains running express from Jay to 7th Avenue with no stops -- it doesn't make sense to skip one of the busier stations in the area.

As far as I know, a complete renovation between Jay and Church Avenue is going on so express service can be reinstated. But with the (G) running local, the only express station available would be 7th Avenue. It really makes no sense to keep the lower level closed. And as far as I am concerned, express service may not occur only on weekdays.

Um, the (V) is NOT coming to Brooklyn! I have no Idea where you heard that bit from at all. Check your sources please.
While the MTA never made an official plan, they did seem to indicate it would be considered after the work is finished (in 2012?)

There was a lot of publicized demand for it, and they did say the reason they couldn't institute it now was because of the work, so it seems like afterwards, it is a great possibility.

And looking at how they are building up the facilities at Church Ave.; it may be set to become a miniature version of Continental. (I recently was there, and see how not only the new room on the platform, but they cut off the whole upper mezzanine. Where the elevators are is the end of the southern section, so I imagine they built new crew facilities in the space inbetween).

Archived