First Iraq. Now Iran in civil war? Will US Miltary have to go to Tehran very soon?

Shortline Bus

Anyone following the crisis in Iran that could lead to a civil war following the disputed national elections? In case you dont know, recently President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected in a close disputed election over challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi.

Most people in Iran and worldwide are furious of a rigged election and as a result protests are starting to turn in recent days into riots. Now Ahmadinejad the anti semnatic endorsed by the ruling Islamic government lead by "King" and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khameneiis using military force and banned all international media.

Rumors are flying that already hundereds of people have been killed.

And protests using the internet like youtube and twitter to get 'the real word' on events in Iran.

Is this event the new revoultion that occured in Eastern Europe and China 20 years ago guys? Also Is Iran the next Iraq in which the US Miltary may have to go to? To prevent genocide. Feel free to reply. Here the lastest news. :P

Iranian police clash with protesters in Tehran as Mousavi declares he is 'ready for martyrdom'

By Kenneth R. Bazinet and Larry Mcshane

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Saturday, June 20th 2009, 3:52 PM

Competing claims of victory in Iranian election

One dead after militia opens fire on protesters in Iran: photog

The leader of Iran's opposition party declared he was "ready for martyrdom" Saturday as anti-government protesters were beaten bloody and blasted with tear gas by police in Tehran.

The defiant demonstrators clashed with cops and Iranian militia on the streets around Revolution Square as the country endured its worst internal upheaval in three decades.

"There was a lot of blood on the street," one witness told AFP after the march by about 3,000 protesters in the capital.

"I think we can easily say that many have died or will die tonight." But the only reported deaths were two people - one a suicide bomber - at the the shrine of Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, father of the 1979 Iranian revolution.

Eight others were injured. President Obama made his toughest statements yet on the Iran unrest, invoking the name of Martin Luther King in calling for Iran's government to allow dissent after the June 12 election.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected over challenger Mir Hossein Mousavi, prompting an angry outcry that the election was rigged and rife with fraud.

"The Iranian government must understand that the world is watching," Obama said.

"We mourn each and every innocent life that is lost. We call on the Iranian government to stop all violent and unjust actions against its own people."

But government forces clashed in the streets with protesters, firing water cannons and tear gas at the crowd in central Tehran. "Death to the dictator!" and "Death to the dictatorship!" chanted anti-government protesters.

Dozens of demonstrators were beaten by police on motorbikes and pro-government militia as helicopters and black smoke hovered over the city, eyewitnesses claimed.

An estimated 50 to 60 protesters were hospitalized, some carried limply from the scene after they were smacked with police batons.

"My head is filled with women's screams, and my body is aching," a protester told AFP.

The demonstrators turned out despite an ultimatum issued Friday by Iran's most powerful figure, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. He warned of bloodshed if the protests continued.

Mousavi made his martyrdom remark during a public address in southwest Tehran, an ally told Reuters.

"Mousavi said he was ready for martyrdom and would continue his path," the ally said.

Mousavi also posted an Internet letter demanding Iranian officials overturn the election results.

"We are not against the Islamic system and its laws but against lies and deviations and just want to reform it," Mousavi said

c)2009 NY Daily News and AP News wire services, Inc.

You have to admire those peoples tenacity. Americans didn't do nearly as much protesting as this when Bush stole the election the first time. As for the United States going into Iran.... It's just not going to happen.

I disagree, the US will go to Iran and to North Korea. When it will happen, well that's another issue, though I think they should do something about North Korea first. Kim Jong-il must be dealt with before they get a chance to arm themselves with Nuclear arms and unlike Saddam Hussein, they've actually have gotten somewhere.

You have to admire those peoples tenacity. Americans didn't do nearly as much protesting as this when Bush stole the election the first time. As for the United States going into Iran.... It's just not going to happen.

Are you seriously comparing elections in the United States of America to those in Iran? Is that a joke?

Are you seriously comparing elections in the United States of America to those in Iran? Is that a joke?

Bush ****** up this country and foreign relations in his 8 years of office more than any other president, you tell me.. sounds like a joke?

Bush f**ked up this country and foreign relations in his 8 years of office more than any other president, you tell me.. sounds like a joke?

Messino please watch your language on this site in respect to the founder of this site Harry.:confused: This is a site with many people under age 18. Please use 'pg' words in typing on here. While you using the 'f' word in that tone does not bother me as i am an adult myself it might be bothersome for our many teen members. Thanks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Carter is innocent he didn't do anything wrong. We will never invade either country for 2 reasons. One, we'd not do well. Two, we have no reason to. Once Kim Jong dies N.K. Will rejoin the south and that will be that. Iran's culture dates back thousands of years and ther is no way any kind of I vasioN would work even if for some odd reason we had to intervene. It's not our country, we don't belong in the middle east, the culture does not mesh with ours.

I think we need to clean up our own corrupt backwards country before we invade anyone else without a single shred of proof. If Obama gets re-elected, it will mean even more than his original win. It will signal real change, and the world looks to us for leadership. Many social and political scientists have said the election of Obama is partially fueling these protests.

- A

Bush ****** up this country and foreign relations in his 8 years of office more than any other president, you tell me.. sounds like a joke?

If you're going to quote a post, then at least address its point(s).

Bush was elected. Twice. Get over it. If he was doing such a bad job, then why did we elect him for a second term. Oh wait, that's right, he stole that election too.

Bush was elected. Twice. Get over it. If he was doing such a bad job, then why did we elect him for a second term. Oh wait, that's right, he stole that election too.

For moment to get off topic, on the so called 'disputed election here at home." I Agree with Joe its time to move on it almost 10 years ago now 'water under the bridge.'. This statement is coming from someone who *not the biggest Bush fan* either. The 2000 election was so close(the closest in US History) the 'loser' which turned out to be Gore was going to scream anyhow. Gore did win the popular vote but he lost in the electoral college, that all that matters to win election to the White House. IMO the electoral college needs to be canned.

Both parties in the few weeks between election day 2000 and the historic Supreme Court in early December '00 acted like spolied brats. ie using the race and ecomnic social class card to pander to the media.

Bush won in 2004 in another nail biting (not as close as 2000) election.

Back to topic. I think Obama might IMO send a small # of US troops in an United Nations peace keeping force to gain control in Iran if it gets out of hand. I doubt Obama will send a full force of American soliders as we are already spread thin in Iraq and elsewhere in the world.

I think Obama might IMO send a small # of US troops in an United Nations peace keeping force to gain control in Iran if it gets out of hand. I doubt Obama will send a full force of American soliders as we are already spread thin in Iraq and elsewhere in the world.

Yeah, that seems feasible that the UN could send a peacekeeping force to Iran. However, North Korea IMO is a different story. That nation has outwardly threatened the world, unlike Iran which is only threatening its own citizens at the moment. For all I know the Korean War (which never officially ended) could reignite again (except this time, North Korea wouldn't have the might of China on its side).

I don't think it's any of our concern. We saw what playing police did to this country before many times.

I think we need to fix our own problems before having any suggestions for other countries, especially ones 8000 miles away that have absolutely nothing at all to do with anything US related.

Wearing the military ragged in iraq & other places vs trying to fix levies, transportation, housing, etc...... Not so smart.

- A

I don't think it's any of our concern. We saw what playing police did to this country before many times.

I think we need to fix our own problems before having any suggestions for other countries, especially ones 8000 miles away that have absolutely nothing at all to do with anything US related.

Wearing the military ragged in iraq & other places vs trying to fix levies, transportation, housing, etc...... Not so smart.

- A

So a country that is trying to build Nuclear weapons is of no concern to us?

I disagree, the US will go to Iran and to North Korea. When it will happen, well that's another issue, though I think they should do something about North Korea first. Kim Jong-il must be dealt with before they get a chance to arm themselves with Nuclear arms and unlike Saddam Hussein, they've actually have gotten somewhere.

Is that what you want to happen? Bush is not the president anymore,so I don't think so. Do you think we would persuade other countries to join us in the invasions sort of like Bush's coalition plan which turned out to be a disaster.

It would be a huge mistake to invade either of those 2 countries,right now North Korea is the bigger problem,their military is very strong and can stand up to the military of the United States. North Korean soldiers are taught to fight to the bitter end.Not like in Iraq where their soldiers ran away or surrendered without a fight.

North Korea has the largest special forces,120,000 troops, in the world. North Korea can produce about 100 missiles a year. These missiles are hidden in caves and underground launching pads,in case of war North Korean missiles can do serious damage,several hundred thousands of US troops will die,and scores of US bases and carrier battle groups will be destroyed. North Korea is the worlds most tunneled nation. I could go on and on,but I am just letting you know how powerful and dangerous North Korea is.

War,what is it really good for? Absolutely nothing.

I hope you all realize that North Korea is planning to aim nuclear missles towards hawaii around july 4th. If they actually hit, that would cause catastrophic damage. So yes, North Korea is a huge concern. F*** em.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090618/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_nuclear

The whole media hype of North Korea aiming missles to blow up Hawaii is a fear tactic to scare the American public. It's not going to happen.

The Unites States will not go into Iran period. Our military is under strain as it is in Iraq and Afghanistan, going into Iran will truly spread ourselves thin. They are a very big country and have alot of support in the region. The Persian people will not let Americans invade their country the way the people of Iraq just stood by and did nothing so it will be very difficult.

These are two different cultures. The Persians are a much richer and organized country / society than Iraq and also America will not have as much support to invade nor a reason. A country trying to attain nuclear arms or manufacture them is not enough to start a war or invade a country.

No one invaded India or Pakistan or any other countries when they started their nuclear arms projects and they still have nuclear arms. There are plenty of countries with nuclear arms already that we didnt invade when they tried to attiain them.

It's just not going to happen.

As for North Korea, that will be a different story, its a much smaller country and they are a much more hostile government and I can see them attacking ships in their region that they deem interefering with their vessels and that would cause a conflict in that region.

My ex-girlfriends father is a war strategist who does private work for Departmen of Defense and a prominant author on war. We have discussed world issues for hours on end and I also have read alot of his books. I believe most of what he says is pretty accurate and I have learned alot from him seeing how accurate he was when we invaded Iraq. He even wrote a book on that as well.

I'm surprised this topic didn't land here sooner. I feel inclined to agree with Metsfan on the point that Iranian politics isn't much of our concern. Would we appreciate them pushing their noses into our politics? probably not. So as far as that's concerned, that's really none of our concern. I heard we don't even have diplomatic relations with them.

North Korea: Yeah efforts to stop them from getting nuclear weapons sounds like a pretty good idea to me. How we go about doing that is the real question. If they plan on threatening this country with them then hell yeah we should step in. So for that I agree with Julio. But to be honest with ya, unless they plan on attacking us or our allies I say whatever happens is between them and the country they are fighting. We need to spend more time fixing home.

IMO the reason Bush was elected a second time was because Kerry made himself into a joke by my standards. But that's over and now we have Obama so its time to move on.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I'm surprised this topic didn't land here sooner. I feel inclined to agree with Metsfan on the point that Iranian politics isn't much of our concern. Would we appreciate them pushing their noses into our politics? probably not. So as far as that's concerned, that's really none of our concern. I heard we don't even have diplomatic relations with them.

North Korea: Yeah efforts to stop them from getting nuclear weapons sounds like a pretty good idea to me. How we go about doing that is the real question. If they plan on threatening this country with them then hell yeah we should step in. So for that I agree with Julio. But to be honest with ya, unless they plan on attacking us or our allies I say whatever happens is between them and the country they are fighting. We need to spend more time fixing home.

IMO the reason Bush was elected a second time was because Kerry made himself into a joke by my standards. But that's over and now we have Obama so its time to move on.

Actually in 2004 there were thousands of votes discarded and the election was tampered with, software used in electronic voting machines was stolen and reversed so a vote for one candidate would go to the other. Half of districts that were thought to be leaning towards Kerry had this software installed, no news network bothered to say anything, which I find scary. Most people I talked to were shocked that Kerry "lost". Voting standards need to be modernized to remove bias and tamper risk. W bush was never elected president, and somehow we as a country just sat back and let it happen.

- A

A question for Metsfan and this is not meant to be insulting as many people are. this is a reply to his comments on his opposition to sending US troops to Iran even in an international peace keeping force if God forbid genocide occurs.

Are you Metsfan a "pacifist" that is against any form of milittary force whoever? What happens if a genocide (which is a possiblity)occurs in Iran? Or North Korea uses its nukes and it hits US Soil? Or were you(metsfan)against the miltary action in Pakstian and Afghanstain following 9/11?

I am a believer in self defense if neccesary(for record i was against going to war against Iraq unless Saddam was involved with 9/11 which was untrue)you need a miltary to defend yourself. My Father a Korean and Vietnam War Vet and also my Brother in Law(1991 Gulf War)deserve respect imo.

Back to Iran. I think it might get worse in the government cracking down on protesters ie 1989 in China before it gets better.:D

Archived