LIRR 175th Anniversary Ride

Forest Glen

While looking at the LIRR One Day Getaways pamphlet I saw something interesting. The LIRR will have a special train ride to celebrate its 175th anniversary:

Celebrate our 175th Anniversary with this nostalgic train ride. The original route of the Railroad started in Brooklyn; customers can start there or board a connecting train at Penn. Our bi-level tour train, decked out with a special drumhead, will start at Jamaica.

Rail and history buffs will enjoy this trip as docents from the LI Sunrise Trail Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society point out interesting aspects of our "Mainline to Greenport" history on-board our trip east.

Making stops at both the Riverhead and Greenport Railroad Museums of Long Island, volunteers will guide you through the Visitor's Center and surrounding grounds You will see visiting steam locomotives, the Freeman Garden Railway, the "Snowplow", specialty exhibits and more.

The event takes place on Saturday July 25th. This sounds interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob Andersen was a part of this event.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here going on this? I'll be there with my brother. First time i'll be on a bi-level...plus the only realistic way to visit both RR museums of LI without a bus.

Yep, that's what I am using this trip for too.

Wait so they're using C3s as their nostalgic fleet, or am I not understanding something?

True. What other nostalgic cars does the LIRR have in conditions good enough for revenue service? There were rumors that the train would be pulled by MP15's, but that was proven false.

True. What other nostalgic cars does the LIRR have in conditions good enough for revenue service? There were rumors that the train would be pulled by MP15's, but that was proven false.

Well, I guess it's OK for the passenger cars, but are they really gonna use the DE30AC/DM30AC as a loco? That's more like a 2009-like celebration?! I guess the Cannonball would be good enough.

4-6 cars at the most, and it will be a double ended DE/DM loco from what I hear! Take that train to both Riverhead, and Greenport to which you will be able to see the Railroad Mueseum of Long Island. I will be manning the table of the Twin Forks NRHS Chapter at Greenport, so look for me there! We will have our own stuff to sell for that event!

This trip does sound interesting. I may go on this. Thing is...how do I get tickets to go?

You've got to get the tickets at a ticket office. I know Jamaica has them for sure (that's where I got mine).

Well, I guess it's OK for the passenger cars, but are they really gonna use the DE30AC/DM30AC as a loco? That's more like a 2009-like celebration?! I guess the Cannonball would be good enough.

Well, the C3's aren't compatible with anything but the DE/DM fleet. They have 36-pin jumpers as opposed to I think 27-pin jumpers on nearly ALL other passenger railcar fleets in the country.

Before someone asks why the built them with that many, it's to electronically communicate info such as door status to the loco, avoiding the need for the C/R to signal the engineer by hand.

Tickets are available only at ticket offices at any station.

Archived