A welcomed surprise on my commute to work tonight

Nice pic

so.. how many more R32's are left? (correct me if that isn't an R32 because i'm not from NY)

You're right, it is an R32! (Not bad for a non-New Yorker!) I'd say that there are about 300+ left. They're not going anywhere until 2010, rest assured after the R40Ms and R42s all retire.

It is an R32. There are 264 of them still in service, but the number is dropping every week as more are retired.

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d268djb_4f2wsg5kp

i do not think they are retired, just being taken out of service for routine maintance. (NYCT) wants to keep them until all 1662 R160s are delivered, which is the right thing to do. those R32s can be put back into service if needed. (NYCT) is not retiring any cars at this moment, but they will probably start on the R40Ms at the beginning of July. you will have a higher chance of getting an R32 on the (A) because most of them are at 207th Street now. only about 100 are still at Jamaica with 50-60 running at any given time. the R32s are the only cars that can safely run on the (C), even if at the end of the year, it becomes the only line in the system to use those cars. speaking of the datasheet, i spotted a lot of errors that need to be corrected, like where the R32s are maintained (207th Street, NOT Pitkin) and where the R40s run on (they do not run on the (A) anymore because all of the slanted cars have been retired).

ever since the R40 retired there latley has been an increased chance of seeing an R32 (A) train. just caught one last week

DSC03061.jpg

If that pic was taken on the downtown platform by the stairs, I have news for you: that's the same spot I wait for my (A) train home from school in the afternoons (between 4:15 and 4:40 roughly...lol).

i do not think they are retired, just being taken out of service for routine maintance. (NYCT) wants to keep them until all 1662 R160s are delivered, which is the right thing to do. those R32s can be put back into service if needed. (NYCT) is not retiring any cars at this moment, but they will probably start on the R40Ms at the beginning of July. you will have a higher chance of getting an R32 on the (A) because most of them are at 207th Street now. only about 100 are still at Jamaica with 50-60 running at any given time. the R32s are the only cars that can safely run on the (C), even if at the end of the year, it becomes the only line in the system to use those cars. speaking of the datasheet, i spotted a lot of errors that need to be corrected, like where the R32s are maintained (207th Street, NOT Pitkin) and where the R40s run on (they do not run on the (A) anymore because all of the slanted cars have been retired).

Yeah, that datasheet is kinda out of date. The R40 Slants are basically gone and should reflect the same changes like the R38s. But R32s will not go anywhere until 2010, rest assured. But as far as I can tell the R40Ms are running out of time. Expect them to go by fall.

Archived