Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Sports Trivia Thread

I like to create a new permenanet topic thread called sports trivia. Feel free to ask any questions from MLB Baseball, the NFL/pro football, NBA and NHL. Plus even golf, tennis, Olympic and WWE/WWF Wrestling questions as well.

So here goes my first question?

True of False. 2001 is the last year the NY Yankees won the world series?:cool:

Quite obviously false. 2000 was the last year they won. 2003 was their last appearance in the Fall Classic.

Way too easy. Give us another one.

Quite obviously false. 2000 was the last year they won. 2003 was their last appearance in the Fall Classic.

Way too easy. Give us another one.

Correct;) THAT EASY QUESTION Was similar to those stupid 'pratice' questions you see prior to exams from regents to sat's to lsat/gre's(law school/grad school version of sat's) Just a test lol.

name the last starting pitcher to win the cy young award?

Guest Charles
Correct;) THAT EASY QUESTION Was similar to those stupid 'pratice' questions you see prior to exams from regents to sat's to lsat/gre's(law school/grad school version of sat's) Just a test lol.

Tim Lincecum and Cliff Lee won it last year, Giants-Indians respectively.

Oh... smart. And Charles got it.

Oh... smart. And Charles got it.

Correct. Actually my bad/fault i wanted to ask a harder question and i mistyped lol.:mad:

Here is it.:D

Name the last starting pitcher in MLB in either league to win both the cy young and mvp in same season?

Guest Charles
Correct. Actually my bad/fault i wanted to ask a harder question and i mistyped lol.:mad:

Here is it.:D

Name the last starting pitcher in MLB in either league to win both the cy young and mvp in same season?

The first name that came up to me was Bob Gibson, '68 Cardinals. But going back to 1968-- that's 40+ years. Possibly another pitcher has done that?

The first name that came up to me was Bob Gibson, '68 Cardinals. But going back to 1968-- that's 40+ years. Possibly another pitcher has done that?

Good guess but not correct. :D Yes Actually both Gibson w/ NL and Tigers Pitcher Denny McClain is the only time in MLB history pitchers swept both league mvp and cy youngs in 1968.

There is one person who won both the Cy Young and MVP more recently So 1 more time name the most recent or last time prior to 2009, that a Pitcher won both the Cy Young and MVP in same season. Hint it happened in last 30 years & I am very sure you heard of the guy lol.

Edited by Hudson River

Good guess but not correct. :P Yes Actually both Gibson w/ NL and Tigers Pitcher Denny McClain is the only time in MLB history pitchers swept both league mvp and cy youngs in 1968.

There is one person who won both the Cy Young and MVP more recently So 1 more time name the most recent or last time prior to 2009, that a Pitcher won both the Cy Young and MVP in same season. Hint it happened in last 30 years & I am very sure you heard of the guy lol.

The answer. is Roger Clemens. He went 24 wins and 4 losses with a 2.48 era for AL Champion Red Sox in 1986.

Next question. Which team has won the most super bowls in NFL History since the championship game started after the 1966 season(January 1967)

The answer. is Roger Clemens. He went 24 wins and 4 losses with a 2.48 era for AL Champion Red Sox in 1986.

I should have answered... :mad:

I should have answered... :mad:

Dennis Eckersley who went 5-1, 51 saves and a 1.91 was the last relief pitcher to win both the cy young and mvp for Oakland A's in 1992.Clemens in '86 was the last starter.

Next Question: Which team has won the most super bowls in NFL History?

Fales?

True or False. The 1993 SF Giants won 101 games and did * make the playoffs?* If so why?

Correct. Before the 1994-98 major league realignment, there was only 4 divisons in MLB, The AL East and West and NL East and West.

In 1993, the Atlanta Braves in 1 of great division/pennat races in MLB history overcame a 9-game defecit in late July to win the NL West. Final standings the braves won 102 games and the Giants had 101 wins. That SF team featured a pre-steriod Barry Bonds(not counting '2001' Bonds in '93 IMO one of the great years by a player in modern MLB history)

And No it not a misprint the Braves were in the NL West until 1994.

In 1993, the Rockies and Marlins joined the National League and both as expected finished in last place in their divisions. That main reason for higher than average amount for the Braves, Phillies(NL East winners)and Giants.

Which two expansion baseball teams has the most World Series Champions and how many do these two teams have?

Actually it's '3' teams that have won the world series twice. You worded the question wrong kid.

The '3' expansion teams(not counting team moves/relocations)that have won the most world series to date.

New York Mets(1969 and 1986)

Toronto Blue Jays (1992 and 1993)

Flordia(soon to be renamed Miami)Marlins(1997 and 2003)

MLB expansion bits.

The first 'expansion' team to win the world series (modern era since 1903)was the New York Mets in '69 after only '8' years in existence.

The fastest team to win the ws after being formed are the DiamondBacks in 2001. They won the MLB title just just '4' seasons after being formed.

Next question. The NY Yankees have won the most world series wins with 26. Name the MLB team that currently in 2nd place with most ws titles since the year 1900?

Next question. Name the pitcher that Blue Jays star Joe Carter hit the championship clinching home run in game #6 of 1993 World Series to win back-back WS for Toronto?