If your into the whole 70s/80s Graffiti

Brighton Local

I know I might catch heat for this, but I like the graffiti on the trains. It gave them personality. I dont like the graff on the trains today because the whole style has changed. Back then it was about the art, how good you were at painting the trains. Today its all about were your tag is ( bridges, tunnels, roof tops, and such) and how many you have. People like DOZ hit as many places as he could before he was arrested and he had no stlye. In my opinion, the good years were about 79 to 83.

I do prefer the trains to be clean, for I like them, not the "art." I do like a little personality though, although defacing someone else's property is not it. The numbers on the car are nice for some identity, but the wrap on the Times Square-Grand Central shuttle give it a nice sense of identity when it's wearing it. That might be a little impractical though... I do like what Metro North has done to some of its cars with the names on the sides. I'd find that much better than graffiti, but that's just my opinion. Though it is very nice to see the old trains, I can never bring myself to accept it as art, or even a good thing.

I can appreciate the "art" behind drawing graffiti, if it's done well, as it was in the 1970's (it's changed drastically since then.) However, the trains aren't the place for it; each of them have a distinct identity based on number, model, and line on which they travel. On walls, however, I think it gives the neighborhood a really good look (for example, the wall underneath the Simpson St. station on Westchester Ave. in the Bronx is just beautiful - it sure must have taken a lot of work to get it so precisely right.)

I have seen a R160 Bomded not tagged i mean that burner was awesome...

They took it out of Service at Ditmars..

Have no idea how it got that far up before somebody said something..

Seen a bunch of R142's when i was in the A Div Bombed as well..

I know I might catch heat for this, but I like the graffiti on the trains. It gave them personality. I dont like the graff on the trains today because the whole style has changed. Back then it was about the art, how good you were at painting the trains. Today its all about were your tag is ( bridges, tunnels, roof tops, and such) and how many you have. People like DOZ hit as many places as he could before he was arrested and he had no stlye. In my opinion, the good years were about 79 to 83.

I agree with you 100%. I really do like it as an artform though and you are right it does give trains personality but they should just keep away from the interior. Today most tags look like garbage and like you said its back then it use to be about art but now its about getting your name out.

Archived