T/O's: How fast have you gotten trains through the Montague street

Maserati7200

As a railfan, northbound, the fastest R42 (M) I've been on went about 33 MPH, no kidding. That place is the most timered of the East River Tunnels northbound. I'm sure others have been able to go faster, that's just my experience. I don't know about southbound.

40 mph at the bottom of the hill heading towards Manhattan; you can't really do faster than that regardless of equipment type. Once you hit the bottom, 30 mph then 25 mph timers kick in.

Towards Brooklyn, 33-34 mph.

40 mph at the bottom of the hill heading towards Manhattan; you can't really do faster than that regardless of equipment type. Once you hit the bottom, 30 mph then 25 mph timers kick in.

Towards Brooklyn, 33-34 mph.

Why is it plagued with so much timers? Is there a curve or something. Kinda weird tho think that the Montague street tunnel and the 60th street tunnel opened on the same day, but one was the fastest East river tunnel and one was the slowest. Actually, I think the Clark street tunnel might be a little slower than that.

So what is the difference between the Montague and 60th street tunnels that makes one the fastest and one the slowest. Curves?

The Montague St Tube, towards Manhattan, is largely downgrade and there is a switch just past the end of the downgrade. The timers are there not only to prevent high speeds, but to also protect the switch.

The switch at the 11th Street Cut, located at the Queens end of the 60th Street Tube, is on a steep upgrade so higher speeds towards the Roosevelt Island portal aren't as big of a deal.

The Montague St Tube, towards Manhattan, is largely downgrade and there is a switch just past the end of the downgrade. The timers are there not only to prevent high speeds, but to also protect the switch.

Ah. I see. I just looked at the track map and only (M) trains would have to use that switch. So why do (R) trains have to slow down if they are not using the switch? Would it be a problem to run over a switch you aren't using at high speed?

The (4)(5) does 35-40 the most entering Manhattan as its too plagues with that downgrade. Manhattan Island has deep corners around the island, that's why Roosevelt Island, Clark Street, Court, and others are at least or is 100 Feet down.

Ah. I see. I just looked at the track map and only (M) trains would have to use that switch. So why do (R) trains have to slow down if they are not using the switch? Would it be a problem to run over a switch you aren't using at high speed?

Timers do not differentiate. They do not slow down specific trains, they slow down all trains.

Timers do not differentiate. They do not slow down specific trains, they slow down all trains.

Oh, I see. But can't they use those route selector boards (those buttons that are next to the T/O's window and u select which route your heading down) to tell the timer what train it is? Like if you select the (M) route, the timers will slow you down in order that you move into the switch safely. But if you select the (R) route, the timers would more lenient because you don't have to access the switch.

Oh, I see. But can't they use those route selector boards (those buttons that are next to the T/O's window and u select which route your heading down) to tell the timer what train it is? Like if you select the (M) route, the timers will slow you down in order that you move into the switch safely. But if you select the (R) route, the timers would more lenient because you don't have to access the switch.

The punch boxes only control the interlockings, not the signals.

When we begin to use 21st Century technology, we'll let you know.

The (4)(5) does 35-40 the most entering Manhattan as its too plagues with that downgrade. Manhattan Island has deep corners around the island, that's why Roosevelt Island, Clark Street, Court, and others are at least or is 100 Feet down.

From The Bronx to Manhattan yes, until you get to the timer, before the curve, then better get to 30mph before timer.....

From Manhattan to Brooklyn in the Joralemon St tubes, well I always get a malfunctioned speedometer that says 47-48mph, then about 26mph as you crest the top of the hill. It is usually 41mph from Brooklyn to Manhattan.......

Going toward Manhattan in the Montague tunnel , a train could get up to 35mph or so coming down off the first curve and leveling off onto the flat grade where the timers are far apart. But a T/O could only maintain that speed briefly before they'd have to slow down because the timers there are 30mph , then 25 before the interlocking. I usually take the first set of timers on the downward curve at about 27-28mph , and keep it there until I have to slow it down to clear the switch , then wrap it up ... I'll hit about 25mph just south of Whitehall , then slow it to 20mph to enter the station. Coming s/b out of Whitehall to Court there's just one set of timers when you leave Whitehall and typically on R-46 equipment if you hit it just right you'll top out at about 33-34mph. I hit 37 or 38 once on a R-160. Nothing special either way.

In the 60th street tube n/b going toward Queens you can clear the last timer at 50mph before going on the upgrade , but the thing is you can't see the next timer until you hit bottom and start coming up so a T/O better be damn sure he cleared the last timer going down because if not you're not stopping before you hit that next signal ... :eek: and then 'chow' :mad:

Going s/b is where you can have some fun. You can hit the next to the last timer at 45mph then wrap it and get that train moving because the last timer will always clear for you and it's before the end of the downward slope. I'll usually top out at the bottom of the tube on 46'es in the range of 51/52mph , and if taken just right , 55. I've gotten to touch 60 for a millesecond on a 160 , just blipped it and gone , but typically on a 160 will top out at about 55mph.

Some places where you can really fly are s/b through the 60th street tube (as just mentioned) , n/b going from 36th to Pacific with a 160 on the express track , can hit that last curve where you gotta break it down to 35 doing about 50-51mph ... and my favorite place to haul a*s is in Queens s/b leaving Roosevelt on the express and taking off going toward 36th street ... lol ... that is the only spot in the system (at least B division) that I know that you can really scare the sh*t out of the passengers because even though you only hit about 40-42mph , the train is bouncing all over the place and feels like it's gonna derail. It's a little sick but honestly I love that. :cool::tup::tup::tup:

and my favorite place to haul a*s is in Queens s/b leaving Roosevelt on the express and taking off going toward 36th street ... lol ... that is the only spot in the system (at least B division) that I know that you can really scare the sh*t out of the passengers because even though you only hit about 40-42mph , the train is bouncing all over the place and feels like it's gonna derail. It's a little sick but honestly I love that. :cool::tup::tup::tup:

Like on the Lex Express S/B from 86 to 59st, or N/B from 42st to 59st. I go flying around the seat in the cab. Fun.......

Archived