What do you guys think of this idea?

MAA89

For areas in tunnels concrete or steel would be best, but for open cuts, and grade level areas, composite ties don't rot, but weight less than concrete, and don't fracture or stain. There is the possibility of :njc: getting these, but since (NJT) has a taste of concrete ties & has put them in several areas including hoboken terminal, they may stick to those. The last pieces needing concrete are switch panels.

On the :nec: lots of switches, the switch lead-over tracks etc are still wooden ties. That has to change.

- A

I assure you that all North American railroads or subways will invest in these sooner or later.

Especially the Northeast Corridor. I saw some Northeast Corridor ties that were melted due to weathering and they were brand new.

How could a concrete tie melt?

There are a few sections of plastic ties being tested (They've been there for yesrs now; I'm not sure if the "test" is still going on).

South of Bay Pkway, middle track, where the (M) relays. Painted yellow in the middle.

Southbound Sea Beach track near the yard, and where the (N) used to relay. These are black and not as easy to tell the difference. They have faded a bit to almost gray, but they still hold their form and do not have the cracks and warping wooden ties develop. So thety look firmer like new, with sharper edges. There are also some loose ties laying around in the yard nearby.

Metropolitan on the (M) had gotten some plastic on one track, and concrete on the other.

I would think the plastic would be good on structures where the concrete can't be used.

Archived