DieselJimmie

Greetings, I am new to the group but not to transit. I live in Metro Vancouver, B.C. where I have been a transit operator for over 35 years. In the last 35 years the transit system has changed several times as follows:

- Greater Vancouver Transit System (31 August 1973 - 31 March 1983)

Operated under contract by the BCH&PA 1973 - 31 March 1980. Operated by the Metro Transit Operating Company under contract to the Urban Transit Authority from 01 April 1980. WVMT operations absorbed 1980 although WVMT remained the contracted operator of the "Blue Buses."

- Vancouver Regional Transit System (01 April 1983 - 31 March 1999)

Operated 1983 - 01 June 1985 by MTOC.

"The Vancouver Regional Transit System services are operated by BC Transit, West Vancouver Municipal Transportation Department (Blue Buses), and B.C. Rapid Transit Company Ltd. (SkyTrain)." (Vancouver Transit Guide, 1986).

"Services are operated for the Vancouver Regional Transit System by BC Transit, the West Vancouver Municipal Transportation Department, Independant Bus and Transportation Inc., and British Columbia Rapid Transit Operating Company Ltd. (SkyTrain)" (BC Transit 1989/90). Maple Ridge network absorbed 16 December 1991, with Independent Bus and Transportation, Ltd. continuing as the contract operator for local routes until 19 October 1992 when BC Transit took over (Brian Mills, 2001). (CUTA 1989, CUTA 1991/2, CUTA 1992) (Images: Blinkpunkt Straßenbahn (ETB), BC Archives I-09409 [123k] (SkyTrain))

- TransLink, the Regional Transportation Network (01 April 1999 - present)

Established July 1998 (BC) as Greater Vancouver Transportation Authority and renamed TransLink 01 April 1999. On 01 April 1999 Coast Mountain Bus Company (originally to be Coast Mountain BusLink) assumed responsibility for bus operations in the Vancouver area, excluding the West Vancouver "Blue Buses". CMB is a subsidiary of TransLink. TransLink itself operates the Skytrain, Seabus, Albion Ferry, major roads and bridges, West Coast Express and the AirCare emission testing program for cars. Starting 31 May 1999 Bowen Island Community Transit began operating transit service on Bowen Island, under contract to TransLink (CTN 1999).

Also in that time we have been represented by three Union; Amalgamate Transit Union (ATU) Local 101/134, Independent Canadian Transit Union (ICTU) Local 1 and now the Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) Local 111.

I was actively involved in my Union for 27 years as an elected representative in Safety and on the Bus Specifications Committee. I now enjoy just being a transit operator and staying abreast of transit in all areas of the globe.

February 2010 will see the 2010 Winter Olympics taking place in Vancouver and after that I will see how much longer I will stay on. In my career I will have worked the two major events in Vancouver that being Expo '86 and the 2010 Olympics.

The Motor Bus Society spring convention will also be held in Vancouver in April of 2010. http://www.motorbussociety.org/conventn/05fall/index.html

Archived