7 Voted Cleanest Subway Line; R ... Not So Much

mark1447

(R) stands for <R>aunchy.

MTA subway cars on the (R) line were voted the dirtiest in this year's 10th annual "subway shmutz" survey out Thursday.

Only 25 percent of cars on the (R) line earned a "clean" rating.

The (7) line was voted the cleanest, which earned an 84 percent "clean" rating in the second half of last year.

"I've recently taken the (7) train several times to the new Citi Field in Queens from Midtown," said Bruce Sholl, 34, of Harlem. "I was surprised at how clean and modern the cars were, like something from the future."

Overall, car cleanliness improved in 2008 from the year before. Fifty-seven percent of subway cars on all lines got the clean ratings, up from 50 percent in the winter of 2007.

But don't expect a similar increase -- or really any increase -- in next year's report. You may have heard about budget issues over at the MTA; about 40 car cleaners and 10 of their supervisors are headed for layoffs.

"It is encouraging to find an increase in clean cars," said Gene Russianoff, spokesman for the Straphangers Campaign, which sponsors the survey. "But we are very concerned that cuts in cleaners will result in dirtier cars."

Russianoff said the next report would show whether "fewer elbows result in less elbow grease."

Nine subway lines ((4), (5), (A), (:), (D), (E), (J), (M) and (V)) improved their cleanliness rating, five ((1), (G), (L), (N) and (R)) suffered declines and eight ((2), (3), (6), (7), (C), (F), (Q), (W)) remained about the same.

According to the survey, a "moderately dirty" train car could include a dingy floor or one or two sticky dry spots.

A "heavily dirty" car includes heavy dirt, any opened or spilled food, hazardous (rolling bottles, etc.) or malodorous conditions, sticky wet spots or any seats unusable due to unclean conditions.

Source:

WNBC4NY.PNG

June 25, 2009

I agree 100%. No matter how much the SMS cleaned up the R's trains, the riders would continue to leave newspapers and garbage all over the floors. The 7 train on the hand is always well kept by Corona yard and the R62As are definitely my favorite of the A division.

I dont see nothing much wrong with the (R). Just that certain people dont got the brains to pick up after them selves.. When i ever i ride the (R) to my grandparents in Queens its seems much cleaner then the (1). Half of the time the (1) always have a homeless sleeing in the last 2 cars, AM Rush hrs especially~

Don't forget the (E)...runs late nights via Homeless Exp.

Ha (E) via Homeless Express LMFAO!!! Anyways I dont see much of the (E) getting homeless. Not much of an (E) rider except weekends. Although the (E) does gets weird people(Or as i should call it the (E) via Weirdo Exp). Like once during April, a man took off his shoes+socks at the End of the car at 11:45PM, and the damn car was smelling horribly. We thought it was poop on the damn floor till we got to W4th and the man was just rubbing his food im likw wtf O_0.. Was RFing with Backline.

Of course most of the time the MLs of the IRT except the (3)(7)(Not ML) gets panhandlers like always!

Ha (E) via Homeless Express LMFAO!!! Anyways I dont see much of the (E) getting homeless. Not much of an (E) rider except weekends. Although the (E) does gets weird people(Or as i should call it the (E) via Weirdo Exp). Like once during April, a man took off his shoes+socks at the End of the car at 11:45PM, and the damn car was smelling horribly. We thought it was poop on the damn floor till we got to W4th and the man was just rubbing his food im likw wtf O_0.. Was RFing with Backline.

Of course most of the time the MLs of the IRT except the (3)(7)(Not ML) gets panhandlers like always!

Trust me on this, there is a reason why MTA employees call the (E) the homeless express.

It not due to R62A , that are the cleaniness on the (7) how they are prefroming. It due to Maintence worker how they clean on the subway

car and wash the floor. they are shortage of maintence worker

on (NYCT) subway.

(6) Brooklyn bridge

(6) Next Stop is

(6) 3Rd Av - 138 street

...like once during April, a man took off his shoes+socks at the End of the car at 11:45PM, and the damn car was smelling horribly. We thought it was poop on the damn floor till we got to W4th and the man was just rubbing his food im likw wtf O_0.. Was RFing with Backline.

Haha.. I remember that one. It was horrible.

I ride the (E) often enough to know that name is VERY well placed. Or do I need to tell the story of my latest dealing with one again.... >.>;;

But then again the whole route is served underground, and for the homeless it isn't such a bad idea in cooler temperatures.

The reason the (7) is so clean is because of the (rather illogical) Line Manager Program. They have a large percentage of the system's cleaners on the (7) and (L) lines, leaving other lines lacking cleaners. They have a cleaner or two at every station on the (7) line. The line does NOT need that many cleaners (ideally yes, realistically in 2009? no.) IMO they should focus on each line having both of its terminals getting two cleaners each (though I don't know if they have enough manpower as it is). If there is at least one cleaner at every terminal in the system, subway cars systemwide will be cleaner. Not just on the (L) or (7).

I ride the (E) often enough to know that name is VERY well placed. Or do I need to tell the story of my latest dealing with one again.... >.>;;

LOL!!! Did you kick him out of the car before the doors closed again? Call it a nightmare on 14th St...LOL

I've been on the (R) for a few stops and I found that there was a lot of sticky liquids on the floor

-M

Ideally these liquids shouldn't be on the floor/seats, but as a rider I wouldn't mind there being stuff on the floor that makes it easier to keep my balance and not slip when the train rounds a curve...:cool:

I disagree with the finding the (R) was clean most of the time when I worked it. I seen worst when working the (E)(F).

Also yes the (E) is the homeless Express thats something I won't miss but then again I like operating the (E) Train as well as the (V).

The (7) is the most political line in the systerm that why there are lots of cleaners.

Also the Line Manager and Group Manager will be expanded by next month every line will have one the names are already out. Also the current ones been changed as well. Some swarped Divisions.

Archived