Stand clear of the schmutz! R line has dirtiest subway cars, report says

Harry

Stand clear of the moving grime.

Only 57% of subway cars surveyed by the Straphangers Campaign last year were rated clean - the rest needed a good scrubbing, according to a report released Thursday.

The grimiest of the bunch was the (R) line, where just 25% of the cars are clean, according to the report.

"It's just messy, dirty, disgusting," Brony Dvorecka, 32, of Bay Ridge said on the (R) train in Manhattan.

Gene Russianoff of the Straphangers Campaign said riders deserve better.

"This is a basic service the transit authority should be providing, clean subway cars."

Russianoff urged the MTA to use some federal stimulus funds for operating expenses like cleaning-staff wages.

But MTA Chairman Dale Hemmerdinger said the agency needs every dime of federal money to go for construction and maintenance projects.

The cleanest line was the No. (7) between Times Square and Flushing, Queens, with 84% of its cars found to be spiffy.

The so-called Flushing Line benefited from a pilot program that increased the number of cleaners - an experiment that NYC Transit can't expand systemwide because it doesn't have the funds.

Such an expansion would require hiring 400 additional cleaners, NYC Transit spokesman Paul Fleuranges said, adding that is "an extremely unlikely prospect, given current budget constraints."

The agency does hope to see improvements through the expansion of its line general manager's program, which put one person in charge of each line with increased authority and accountability.

"We believe we will be in a better position to deploy cleaning resources where necessary," Fleuranges said.

Overall, the surveyors found some improvement over the previous year.

In 2007, just 50% of cars that were checked were rated clean.

Some riders were surprised by the (R) train's position at the bottom of the trash heap.

"I usually find it is pretty clean," said Melissa Humenni, 19, of Queens.

"I guess I must be getting on the clean one."

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/06/25/2009-06-25_stand_clear_of_the_spreading_grime_r_line_wi.html#ixzz0JXMbwPOf&D

post-1-133288580626_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580626_thumb.jpg

Its those R42s from East New York. R42s, unlike any other car, are really disgusting. They run good but they look REALLY bad (scratchitti, graffiti, etc.), from years of abuse on the (J). And I'm surprised that the R46s are dirty.

Before they were retired, the R38s that ran on the C were disgusting inside. The tan floors were almost stained black with dirt! But on the outside they were clean, with shiny walls and newly painted number plates. How Piktin/207th let these cars into service for the past 5 years is appalling!

These reports are always hopelessly flawed, as the Straphangers Campaign does nothing to take into account the fact that the ®'s cars are shared with the (E)(F)(G) and (V) and therefore aren't bound to one line. They should spend their time and money on something more meaningful to the public rather than useless reports such as this one.

Before they were retired, the R38s that ran on the C were disgusting inside. The tan floors were almost stained black with dirt! But on the outside they were clean, with shiny walls and newly painted number plates. How Piktin/207th let these cars into service for the past 5 years is appalling!

The R38s' floors probably weren't any dirtier than any of the others. However, the R38s had dimmer lighting than other cars and it appeared that their interiors were dingier and grimier than normal due to the lighting.

These reports are always hopelessly flawed, as the Straphangers Campaign does nothing to take into account the fact that the ®'s cars are shared with the (E)(F)(G) and (V) and therefore aren't bound to one line. They should spend their time and money on something more meaningful to the public rather than useless reports such as this one.
Great point!

thats a lie. the (R) train was always dirty, and the only time you'll see a clean (R) train is during the morning rush.

like the R68's on the (D). those cars look beaten up. but i still love them.

the (7) was always a clean train. i remember taking it when i used to work in Long Island City.

I find the news strange. The MTA's last Rider Report Card data (which may be inaccurate since few riders respond) gives the (R) a "C-" for "Cleanliness of Subway Cars", while the (7) only gets a C. The (L), which I have always found to be extremely clean, got a B-, so the (7) is not the undisputed champion of clean subway cars. The (A), (C), (E) and (F) all got D+. The (E) has since, literally, cleaned up its act, with the coming of the new R160s. I am sure that the (F) is cleaner than the (A) and (C). Though I don't often use the (R), I would say the (A) and the (C) definitely beats the (R) for this one.

was there any plan that (R) line is supposed to get R160.

(E) , (F) are based out jamiaca yard they are using R160.

so why cant (R) use R160. (R) is also based out Jamiaca yard.

why (NYCT) screwing (R) line riders.

I'm a daily (R) line rider and I don't care about getting R160s, I only care that the train is on time and takes me from point A to point B, so please don't speak on my behalf on how the MTA is "screwing" me. :tup:

thats a lie. the (R) train was always dirty, and the only time you'll see a clean (R) train is during the morning rush.

the (7) was always a clean train. i remember taking it when i used to work in Long Island City.

my mistake.

it IS TRUE. the (R) train was always dirty, and the only time you'll see a clean (R) train is during the morning rush.

was there any plan that (R) line is supposed to get R160.

(E) , (F) are based out jamiaca yard they are using R160.

so why cant (R) use R160. (R) is also based out Jamiaca yard.

why (NYCT) screwing (R) line riders.

The (N)(Q)(W) are based out of Coney Island Yard and they are using R160's. The (;) and Franklin (S) is also based out CIY but they are R68's. Are you saying the (NYCT) is screwing with (:D and (S) riders? If they don't have the newest cars, (NYCT) is screwing with them?? really?

anyway, the (R) is planned on getting a few sets of R160's. A t/o posted that, I forgot who.

And most passengers don't mind R46's, but of course, they'd rather have R160's.

The only thing that passengers care about are: Getting from Point A to B , train being clean and the A/C working. It doesn't really matter on the car class.

It all depends on the passengers. Car class is noticed, though not usually the top priority for a certain percentage of passengers.

Archived