MTA NYC Transit Train Operator FAQ

Y2Julio

Ah how the times have changed. I read that back in the 50's and 60' and even before then M/M took pride in fixing their trains before and RIC would show up. Isn't the rule now that if you can't fix it with your vapor key or cab key, you can't fix it. Now what kind of problems on the road would RCC tell you to fix?
Maybe a door problem,circuit breaker,control-cutout etc.One time I was on the A line and my C/R closed the doors and I wouldn't get indication.I called RCC hoping I could get this thing of the road and they told me to keep it in service!!!I was P*ssed!!I had to pick up an RCI at Euclid and use the buzzer-bypass(allows you to move the train without indication) all the way from lefferts to 207 st!When I came in 207, I notified the T/D and they were furious!They had to get this thing into the yard ASAP.They asked me the same question I was trynna figure out-"Why didn't they take it outta service?"It's funny because they NEVER believe the T/O...lol They NEED conformation from someone else...You could have a Terrorist on yur train and they'll tell you to pick up the RCI in route! Edited by NASCAR

If that's the same one we're talking about on the (A),he wrote up a C/R because he/she didn't ask "partner you got the line-up?" But...the T/O told the C/R "Partner we got the line-up" BEFORE he/she could ask!This SOB wrote the C/R up and said "tell yur mother I wrote you up!"(C/R mom is a TSS) Straight up sucka move...:tdown:

Yeah her Mom was His Partner for years!!! He has it in for C/R's and some T/O's.

Ah how the times have changed. I read that back in the 50's and 60' and even before then M/M took pride in fixing their trains before and RIC would show up. Isn't the rule now that if you can't fix it with your vapor key or cab key, you can't fix it. Now what kind of problems on the road would RCC tell you to fix?

Heh. Yeah I've heard the stories. If it was a fuse or a circuit breaker and you called it in and the RCI had to come down, you were gonna hear it for a while if it was something that could have been easily fixed. Amazing how things can change so much in just a few decades.

Maybe a door problem,circuit breaker,control-cutout etc.One time I was on the A line and my C/R closed the doors and I wouldn't get indication.I called RCC hoping I could get this thing of the road and they told me to keep it in service!!!I was P*ssed!!I had to pick up an RCI at Euclid and use the buzzer-bypass(allows you to move the train without indication) all the way from lefferts to 207 st!When I came in 207, I notified the T/D and they were furious!They had to get this thing into the yard ASAP.They asked me the same question I was trynna figure out-"Why didn't they take it outta service?"It's funny because they NEVER believe the T/O...lol They NEED conformation from someone else...You could have a Terrorist on yur train and they'll tell you to pick up the RCI in route!

Ah the old bypass, I know the trick on the R32 and older SMEEs where you did not have to hold it down every time you take power. It's crazy the way the TA treats there operating crews especialy in RTO which is why if I ever work for the TA, I want to work MoW/C Division. I hear that they treat their people alittle better. As for, having to use the bypass the whole way to 207, that is nuts and could have been a real problem had you had anyother door problems along the way.

Ah the old bypass, I know the trick on the R32 and older SMEEs where you did not have to hold it down every time you take power. It's crazy the way the TA treats there operating crews especialy in RTO which is why if I ever work for the TA, I want to work MoW/C Division. I hear that they treat their people alittle better. As for, having to use the bypass the whole way to 207, that is nuts and could have been a real problem had you had anyother door problems along the way.
You have no idea how ANNOYING that was!I was hoping something else would happen...

It's crazy the way the TA treats there operating crews especialy in RTO which is why if I ever work for the TA, I want to work MoW/C Division.

The C division is part of RTO and has nothing to do with MOW which is signals, infastructure, third rail, and track departments.

The C division is part of RTO and has nothing to do with MOW which is signals, infastructure, third rail, and track departments.

Ah, my mistake. I did hear the MoW is alot better to there guys then RTO. And that C Division is not as bad as A and B, but hey I only know what people tell me.

Ah ok, so misc. equipment is part of C Division but things like the tamper, rinder, and vac-trak are operated by MoW crews under the supervision of T/Os and other RTO emplyees assigned to C Division?

Ah ok, so misc. equipment is part of C Division but things like the tamper, rinder, and vac-trak are operated by MoW crews under the supervision of T/Os and other RTO emplyees assigned to C Division?

The tamper, regulator, gradall, and track geometry train are operated by track workers. They all have a T/O as a pilot when they are operated on main line tracks. The vac train is operated by T/O's.

The tamper, regulator, gradall, and track geometry train are operated by track workers. They all have a T/O as a pilot when they are operated on main line tracks. The vac train is operated by T/O's.

Thank you very much sir.

• 8 months later...
So how about the T/O who are certified to drive the nostalgia trains. How and when do they get trained to drive these old trains?

T/O's have to gain seniority and pick a yard trick at 207th Street Yard. C/R's can work anywhere, but you've gotta know the right people. Training is done on your own time, without pay. Oh, and you've gotta wait until one of the regulars either decided to not do it anymore, takes a promotion, or retires. Good luck on that part.

Are the R-59 track geometry cars kept at CIY or Westchester with the other MoW equipment? And this might be a dumb question, but does each division have their own geo car?

Are the R-59 track geometry cars kept at CIY or Westchester with the other MoW equipment? And this might be a dumb question, but does each division have their own geo car?

The track geometry cars are kept at CIY, I think there are 3 or 4 of them.

As a response to what Zman said: "T/O's have to gain seniority and pick a yard trick at 207th Street Yard. C/R's can work anywhere, but you've gotta know the right people. Training is done on your own time, without pay. Oh, and you've gotta wait until one of the regulars either decided to not do it anymore, takes a promotion, or retires. Good luck on that part."

I say: "For nothing is impossible with God" (Luke 1:37). Nobody knows what the future holds. Sometimes if you have a little bit of faith and luck, things work out for you.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
Explain why put bible verse in.

I don't think so, but I am not 100% sure. The trackage they cover is done on a schedule so they may take one of the TGCs over to the IRT when there needed.

I though that TGC's measured platform clearances along with everything else, which would be impossible with Division B-specific equipment.

And another T/O question: when running Division A equipment via Division B trackage for maintenance, repair, etc., and vice versa, what type of signaling is used, and what type of protection devices are employed, seeing as though trip arms are on alternate track sides between the two divisions?

I though that TGC's measured platform clearances along with everything else, which would be impossible with Division B-specific equipment.

The TGC's measure EVERYTHING from the tracks to the tunnel walls to "hot spots" (fire danger) and everything in between.

The TGC's measure EVERYTHING from the tracks to the tunnel walls to "hot spots" (fire danger) and everything in between.

This might be a redundant and stupid question, but are train-platform clearances also measured? And if so, wouldn't separate TGC's have to be used for each division?