Back to the OLD SKOOL madness

Messino

Here is one that happened in 1998. I remember seeing this on TV

r33crash.jpg

2/1998 Accident on 239th Street Yard lead- collision between two trains. Motorman lost conciousness after he received permission to go past the red.

Here are a few more images of wrecked / scrapped trains

2000 Out of service 4 train rear ends another

4traincrash.jpg

6/1995 Williamsburg J and M collision

jtrainwillaimsburgh.jpg

1991 Union Square Derailment. Motorman was cracked out and drunk, fled the scene after the crash

1991union.jpg

1989 A train derailed

1989atrainderail.jpg

1986 Train derailed at 179st Queens. Motorman suffered heart attack causing train to derail

1986ha.jpg

1979 Morris Park two trains crashed

mpcrash1979.jpg

1970 two GG trains collide

ggcrashtogg.jpg

That just goes to show the foamers out there that THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! Look at that damage, and if you are operating there is NO "survival space" in those cabs! That's why when I see "railiens" foaming about how fast a train can go or how all timers are stupid (some of them DO serve a purpose you know), I just laugh knowing they don't get it.

Another reason a guy like Darius shouldn't work for TA. Plus even though he taught himself to move handles, do you really think he knows how to respond to all emergency situations? Answer is probably not.

That just goes to show the foamers out there that THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! Look at that damage, and if you are operating there is NO "survival space" in those cabs! That's why when I see "railiens" foaming about how fast a train can go or how all timers are stupid (some of them DO serve a purpose you know), I just laugh knowing they don't get it.

Another reason a guy like Darius shouldn't work for TA. Plus even though he taught himself to move handles, do you really think he knows how to respond to all emergency situations? Answer is probably not.

I had a motorman instructor in schoolcar many years ago who emphasized that anyone who asked how fast a train could go at the beginning of the course was a loser and showed a complete lack of intelligence about the job. That question was irrelevant to the job. He said the intelligent question was "how fast does a train stop"? That meant you thought about your job and your life and the passengers lives. I have never forgotten that. I get paid by the hour so the more timers the merrier. There are timetables for each line and anyone who was on time every day was deemed a rule breaker and subject to disiplinary action. If you arrived at a station too early and left before your scheduled time the crew could be written up. When you see people complaining about missing transfers because the local "didn't wait" it's usually because the train was running late, not early. Too much speed on the road is the cause of many preventable accidents nowadays, not trains going too slow. If you aspire to be a T/O or C/R I hope you heed these words.

and lets no forget the R68 (D) Train Derailment at W 81st Street earlier this year

But there was no crash... Similar to the (N) at 57th Street, so thats not really something major..

Anyways of course, I remember in 1996 i think the (A) derailed north of 135th Street which slammed to the side of the bars(wat ever those are called) in the tunnel, which caused car damaged, i dunno if any1 was hurt i forgot..

u know the one forgotten here? back in the very early years when the BMT was the BRT 1918 there was a big crash in the Malbone st. tunnel that street is now Empire Blvd i think, actually this 5 car wooden train was coney island-bound from Park Row via the brooklyn bridge,ran elevated on Fulton st, then down the (S) line from Franklin av.connecting with the Brighton line, this is the track that leads to the coney island bound local tracks at Prospect Park. Dude was doing like 70 mph to a curve with a 15 mph limit BTW is the (S) still using that local track for layups?

u know the one forgotten here? back in the very early years when the BMT was the BRT 1918 there was a big crash in the Malbone st. tunnel that street is now Empire Blvd i think, actually this 5 car wooden train was coney island-bound from Park Row via the brooklyn bridge,ran elevated on Fulton st, then down the (S) line from Franklin av.connecting with the Brighton line, this is the track that leads to the coney island bound local tracks at Prospect Park. Dude was doing like 70 mph to a curve with a 15 mph limit BTW is the (S) still using that local track for layups?

The limit was actually 6 MPH. And since the accident they lightened up the S curve.

Here is one that happened in 1998. I remember seeing this on TV

r33crash.jpg

2/1998 Accident on 239th Street Yard lead- collision between two trains. Motorman lost conciousness after he received permission to go past the red.

Me and <Q>53 went over there as soon as we heard but the ESU didnt let us near thanx for the mems(K)<R>

It was used a while back during a GO though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was used by the (J) as a layup track during the G.O. If that's the case, then they just used the track to relay trains and to not turn the loop.

_______

Plus, isn't the entrance to the yard speeds under 10 miles per hour in that area? I find it strange that the trains just collided like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was used by the (J) as a layup track during the G.O. If that's the case, then they just used the track to relay trains and to not turn the loop.

_______

Plus, isn't the entrance to the yard speeds under 10 miles per hour in that area? I find it strange that the trains just collided like that.

Nah. The (J) uses the Coney Island-Bound Express Track, just south of the Prospect Park crossover to turn back..

But Matt, is right.. Sometime ago in the past 2 years, the had Franklin Shuttle, coming in on the Coney Island-Bound local track... They were doing some work on the Manhattan-Bound (Franklin Av-Bound) Track. I think they still use it at night to bring in 1 train to layup.. Thats what I was told while ago...After the PM Rush, one of the shuttles runs in service on the outer track, terminating on the Coney Island Bound Platform.

That set that derailed at DeKalb was 2804-5-6-7 to which was placed back in service in 2007! Got pics of it fresh out of the barn runnin on the Q back then! Also that derailment in 1998 was on the lead to 239th St. Yard! That picture reminded me of that!

That set that derailed at DeKalb was 2804-5-6-7 to which was placed back in service in 2007! Got pics of it fresh out of the barn runnin on the Q back then! Also that derailment in 1998 was on the lead to 239th St. Yard! That picture reminded me of that!

2804-2805-2807-2806, was out of service for 7 years?! Wow...:eek:

Archived