002-4.jpg

Rahway with a Comet V in control.

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

007-5.jpg

008-8.jpg

010-7.jpg

A PL42-AC pulling a Bay Head Express. Due to later storms, this train terminated at Belmar instead.

011-6.jpg

012-6.jpg

Arrow III

015-6.jpg

Multi-Level Express from Trenton

016-6.jpg

017-5.jpg

018-5.jpg

022-6.jpg

Local ALP-46 pulling Multi-Levels

023-4.jpg

024-5.jpg

Weather Bonus: Rare mammatus clouds after a thunderstorm. They usually appear after a strong storm and before a tornado.

035-5.jpg

040-3.jpg

Nice catches!

Yea, i caught some of those mamatus clouds all the way down in yardley, pa. Freaked me out, because i know what's associated with them. They were on the trailing edge of the system too, which rang some alarm bells. Thankfully the storm split into 2 smaller ones right as it passed through bucks county, sparing a narrow path between the 2. To all most every other direction there were reports of trees down, and power outages, 60 mph wind with rain, not sure about hail.

For an east coast storm, it was frighteningly strong. Usually we just get wind and rain, this time it was more like out on the plains where the monsters grow. As the 2 halves passed, there was all most constant thunder, but all most no visible lightning aside from general bright spots coming from different directions.

You're lucky you were not in bay head when the wires got knocked out, you'd likely still be there. :eek::confused: :)

- A

Are they regularly using PL42ACs on the NJCL right now?

Not as far as i've seen. They are only used when sufficient power is unavailable (mostly due to older units not working properly), or if there are wire problems. They are all most exclusively used on the :rvl:, and several hoboken division lines. Runs from hoboken to bay head (and even sometimes to long branch) are primarily the cats, specific hood units (some are restricted to hoboken division operation), and the FH-2's. One time i saw a (MTA) cat pulling a bay head train. Was severely weird. :eek::confused:

- A

Not as far as i've seen. They are only used when sufficient power is unavailable (mostly due to older units not working properly), or if there are wire problems. They are all most exclusively used on the :rvl:, and several hoboken division lines. Runs from hoboken to bay head (and even sometimes to long branch) are primarily the cats, specific hood units (some are restricted to hoboken division operation), and the FH-2's. One time i saw a (MTA) cat pulling a bay head train. Was severely weird. :eek::confused:

- A

Don't all electrified trains terminate at Long Branch and then you have to transfer to diesel to continue to Bay Head? :njc: isn't electrified beyond Long Branch. So how could an electrified train run to Bay Head?

- A

The mainstay of the SOL (South-of-Long Branch) line is the F40PH-2-CAT or GP40-FH. The GP40-PH are mainly Atlantic City and Main Line Trains. It become quite common to see a PL on the :njc: and SOL. Weridly enough talks say that the last of the FH-2s are going to Canada and its taking some Comet IIIs with it. Mooching Canadians :mad:

Don't all electrified trains terminate at Long Branch and then you have to transfer to diesel to continue to Bay Head? :njc: isn't electrified beyond Long Branch. So how could an electrified train run to Bay Head?

Well he didn't say that. The diesels from Hoboken go down he NJCL to Bay Head if not, they go to Long Branch due to the shortage of electrics that are being used on ACES.

Nice Photos, and nice Arrow pic, usually when those are seen, they're like... 4-5 cars long... and what's up with the clouds in the last two... they're creeping me out :cry: :mad:

Those clouds are quite rare in the northeast. They are in major thunderstorms down in the plains because the appear in supercell thunderstorms that usually bring large hail, strong winds and they always seem to appear right before a tornado. I saw those in Florida, then here come a funnel coming down...just 500 feet away.

Several older hood units, and the FH-2's live down in the bay head yard & are used in service between long branch & bay head, however there are bay head trains that operate from hoboken, and usually they are one of the bay head yard assigned engines, such as the FH-2's. Sometimes they are a hoboken division "wandering" cat, other times they are another wandering hood unit, really just depends on available power & move patterns, such as resetting the yards for peak monday service, or fueling run. Sometimes they are really random, other times they seem to prefer an FH-2 or a cat. They run from hoboken through the connector near the MMC into newark penn. It is these trains that are the few times a day that you will see diesel power south of the airport. where the :rvl: splits off from the :nec:.

I know some other members have much more specific info on all that, so if they could chime in that would be great. :cool::tup:

- A

The mainstay of the SOL (South-of-Long Branch) line is the F40PH-2-CAT or GP40-FH. The GP40-PH are mainly Atlantic City and Main Line Trains. It become quite common to see a PL on the :njc: and SOL. Weridly enough talks say that the last of the FH-2s are going to Canada and its taking some Comet IIIs with it. Mooching Canadians :mad:

NJ transit & GO transit & AMT use a lot of similar equipment, mostly the single level railcars, MLV's & diesel locos. AMT & Go have previously (NJT) owned engines currently in use. Not mooching.

Plus take into thought the ALP-45's & their roll in all of this. I believe AMT is interested in them as well as amtrak.

Those clouds are quite rare in the northeast. They are in major thunderstorms down in the plains because the appear in supercell thunderstorms that usually bring large hail, strong winds and they always seem to appear right before a tornado. I saw those in Florida, then here come a funnel coming down...just 500 feet away.

Yea, when i saw them i was quite alarmed, got a few photos of them. They are an indication of powerful updraft current. Typically if such a storm gains rotation a tornado will form, but obviously it's not some set thing as tornadoes are pretty random. Freakier yet, we saw another bunching of them on another storm cloud that was ~10 miles away. Will post photos tonight.

- A

NJ transit & GO transit & AMT use a lot of similar equipment, mostly the single level railcars, MLV's & diesel locos. AMT & Go have previously (NJT) owned engines currently in use. Not mooching.

Plus take into thought the ALP-45's & their roll in all of this. I believe AMT is interested in them as well as amtrak.

- A

I know but I kinda dreary to the fact that they are taking Comet IIIs! I was livid when I heard 5010 and 5009 was yanked from service as those two were my favorite to ride. You can sorta tell the difference from the rest of the IIIs because they were built to certian spec that NJT lacks. Same thing with Metro North's Comet Vs. Might look the same but treated differently.

Nice Photos:tup::tup:,

Now to correct a few things. Anything can show up on the Bay Head trains, The FH's are not assigned to Bay Head strictly, the F40's are not really supposed to be down there due to their smaller fuel tanks but they do show up, the PL42's are being used down there now as crews have been retrained on them and are up to speed. There is no talk of CIII's or the remaining FH's going to Canada. You will also not see CNJ units come down this way unless on a work train since Amtrak has slapped a 70MPH MAS on them thats not to say they won't show up.

Archived