Subway Museum Train Question

lilbluefoxie

Do they do anything to the rollsigns on the trains in the museum? I was there a while ago, I dont remember which train I was in, but it had the 3 row side sign, I tried turning the knobs but they just spun, the signs didnt move. It was on "GG | Bklyn Queens" and it was the mid 70s style The knobs were these circular knobs, not the X cranks that I've seen on the R32s.

the other thing I noticed is that many of them have modern rollsigns, the same ones the R32 and R38 have. Was that the last one they had before being taken out of service or put in during the restore process. One of them had like a mix n match thing going, the top and bottom ones were new but the middle one had the old 50s style one

Well most likely all the IND/BMT rollsigns at the TM is disabled, except the R32 which requires a hex key i think

for the IRT all(R33ML/S) are working except the R33- Worlds Fair used by the (7)

One of them in the TM i was trying to turn on a 33ML i think and it was already jammed. Couldnt turn properly..

One of them in the TM i was trying to turn on a 33ML i think and it was already jammed. Couldnt turn properly..

This is why they are disabled, because people will eventually damage them if they let them do whatever they want.

the other thing I noticed is that many of them have modern rollsigns, the same ones the R32 and R38 have. Was that the last one they had before being taken out of service or put in during the restore process. One of them had like a mix n match thing going, the top and bottom ones were new but the middle one had the old 50s style one

Some of the cars have the modern rollsigns cause the TM doesn't have the

orginal rollsign packages.so they put replacments from what they have.

did they ever have those when in service, didnt the R30 and R27 make it into at least 1990?

If you're talking about the R27/30 cars having the same rollsign packages as

the R32/38 post GOH,then yes.but only a small number of R27/30 cars went

through the GOH program.if i remember,the R27's last to 1990 or 1991 while

the R30's lasted to 1993.

If you're talking about the R27/30 cars having the same rollsign packages as

the R32/38 post GOH,then yes.but only a small number of R27/30 cars went

through the GOH program.if i remember,the R27's last to 1990 or 1991 while

the R30's lasted to 1993.

which package did most of em have, the colorful 70s one or the older 50s one? It seems the MTA got sloppy in teh 70s in regards to making the rollsigns consistant

Go ahead and try finding parts for an 80 year old train.

lol i thought it can be fixed.. But I understand its 80 yrs old, isnt the Roll sign spinners from the GOH era? or only the signs(which i know signs are from 80/90ss)

Is its capable of being fixed tho?

Its not meant to have to be fixed. The whole point of it is it is "living history" and it is ORIGINAL and UN ALTERED.

The signs are disabled because as some of the (ridiculous) videos on Youtube show, there are weekend people that will buy their TM ticket at noon, then walk around the various cars turning sign knobs either until they pulled or tore a muscle in their hand, or 5 o clock came and they had to get out of there.

There is nothing "wrong" with the signs though, that is by design. It prevents wear and tear and damage from idiots who don't know what they are doing by scrolling past the end or turning the thing too violently or wrong causing the canvas to bunch up

Its not meant to have to be fixed. The whole point of it is it is "living history" and it is ORIGINAL and UN ALTERED.

The signs are disabled because as some of the (ridiculous) videos on Youtube show, there are weekend people that will buy their TM ticket at noon, then walk around the various cars turning sign knobs either until they pulled or tore a muscle in their hand, or 5 o clock came and they had to get out of there.

There is nothing "wrong" with the signs though, that is by design. It prevents wear and tear and damage from idiots who don't know what they are doing by scrolling past the end or turning the thing too violently or wrong causing the canvas to bunch up

That is stupid and crazy. For that the TA could convert the spinner into a Hex Key only spinner like the R32 and later (+R36WF).

BTW do u have video of any of the spinners becoming broken by sum1?

That is stupid and crazy. For that the TA could convert the spinner into a Hex Key only spinner like the R32 and later (+R36WF).

Did you just skip over what Drew said in his first sentence? "It's not meant to have to be fixed. The whole point of it is it is "living history" and it is ORIGINAL and UN ALTERED."

BTW do u have video of any of the spinners becoming broken by sum1?

It is not the dials they are worried about breaking it is the CANVAS of the SIGN. If you don't do it properly, you can damage the sign. Many of the signs in the museum are old originals (like the arnine signs) that are fairly valuable, unique, irreplaceable, and they would like to keep them intact.

No I don't have any videos of signs getting broken by guests in the museum, but if I saw something like that I would 1) not be filming it, I don't carry a video camera anywhere anyway and 2) call it in. I HAVE however seen what signs can look like after they've gotten "messed up" and it's not very nice looking. I have also seen people on the museum trains screwing around with the signs, and that's fine, but if they do something dumb, like "trying to keep turning the knob past where the white shows up" they get told to stop. So a gear is removed, and the dial spins free without changing the sign. I don't know what it is with people's fascination with changing signs? Is it just pretending something ran somewhere? Guess I'll never know...

Plus I also want to add...You notice when they ran the holiday (V) the signs were set more or less right, they weren't "always" that way. Anyone remember the Arnine "It's better in the Bahamas?" The signs can change if they REALLY want someone qualified to do so...but you open it to the public it's a mess, you get kids down there they'll do anything.

They're not going to convert the signs because then it's not consistent with how the car ran. The point of the museum is to preserve things as they ran. If you went to a history museum and they had the Constitution, wouldn't it be pretty stupid of them to artifically dye the parchment "computer paper white" because that's how it is today and its better?

They're not going to convert the signs because then it's not consistent with how the car ran. The point of the museum is to preserve things as they ran. If you went to a history museum and they had the Constitution, wouldn't it be pretty stupid of them to artifically dye the parchment "computer paper white" because that's how it is today and its better?

they did it anyway in some of them:

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?30350 R10 has moden end sign

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?74845 this one is mixed up

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?73022 when is this rollsign from, looks like it could either be the modern one or an early 80s one with double letters

they did it anyway in some of them:

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?30350 R10 has moden end sign

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?74845 this one is mixed up

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?73022 when is this rollsign from, looks like it could either be the modern one or an early 80s one with double letters

Actually, check pictures from the 80's when the R10's last ran and you will see those "modern" signs in them. That's historically accurate.

Archived