Crabbing in NYC/Nassau County?

R44 5278

Does anyone know if the stretch on the Crossbay Blvd between Broad Channel and Howard Beach is still available for crabbing? If not, then are there any places in Nassau County, Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn that are good for crabbing? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone know if the stretch on the Crossbay Blvd between Broad Channel and Howard Beach is still available for crabbing? If not, then are there any places in Nassau County, Manhattan, Queens, or Brooklyn that are good for crabbing? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Last I heard you could still go crabbing there. I was fishing off the Crossbay bridge a few weeks ago. We used to rent boats from Captain Mikes during a full moon with a bright flashlight and go crabbing in Jamaica Bay.

Thanks Messino! I'm planning to tie crab cages to the bridge itself and wait for periods of time. Is there still an issue concerning boats that travel under the bridge in having their propellers caught with the cages?

I never really heard much about crabbing in the area, but I've heard a lot about clamming. What kind of crabs are you looking for?
Mainly male Blue Crabs! I remember crabbing numerous times at the North Channel Bridge 10 yrs and all I got were meaty male Blue Crabs!

Thanks Messino! I'm planning to tie crab cages to the bridge itself and wait for periods of time. Is there still an issue concerning boats that travel under the bridge in having their propellers caught with the cages?

I don't know about putting the cages down there, I'm not sure they would allow that. The people I know who go crabbing rent a small boat on a full moon with a strong flashlight and point the flashlight at the water and the crabs come to the surfaace and they net them up.

Recently the past few years the Chinese people have been taking over and wading through the water on each side of the parking areas by the bridge and they net the crabs and were filling huge buckets every night. I think the bay police cut down on them as they were all over the place cleaning out the waters of the crabs and were taking crabs that were not even mature yet.

I don't know about putting the cages down there, I'm not sure they would allow that. The people I know who go crabbing rent a small boat on a full moon with a strong flashlight and point the flashlight at the water and the crabs come to the surfaace and they net them up.

Recently the past few years the Chinese people have been taking over and wading through the water on each side of the parking areas by the bridge and they net the crabs and were filling huge buckets every night. I think the bay police cut down on them as they were all over the place cleaning out the waters of the crabs and were taking crabs that were not even mature yet.

Chinese people...

I guess you were referring to my Uncle's crew.

Chinese people...

I guess you were referring to my Uncle's crew.

must be a pretty big crew, last summer there were atleast 50 of them at any given time at night wading through the shallow water with these huge nets. Also I would check to see if any of the crabs/fish/mussels are even edible, for a long time the dept of health said it wasnt good to eat them from the bay because of mercury and other toxins in the water.

must be a pretty big crew, last summer there were atleast 50 of them at any given time at night wading through the shallow water with these huge nets. Also I would check to see if any of the crabs/fish/mussels are even edible, for a long time the dept of health said it wasnt good to eat them from the bay because of mercury and other toxins in the water.

The last time I went with my Uncle was back in 1999 and after we caught 20+ crabs, we would always eat them as a midnight snack. Those males were just delicious and meaty! I'm planning to go with my group of friends in the afternoon actually around mid August. That way, there would be less people doing it.

People really eat captured animals from Jamaica Bay? :eek:

With the airport so near and jet fuel runoff after storms, not to mention the bodies dumped in there along with the other unknowns... I'm just saying. :confused:

LOL what about the water treatment plant that spews out crap from the rockaways and the waste plant that JFK airport has itself? When I didnt know better I used to eat the crabs from there as well, its been a long time since I ate crabs from the bay. I sometimes go fishing off the bridge and sell the fish to the local spots and even eat it once in a while but I dont eat stuff from there that often. I would try the crabs if the dept of health says its safe.

I believe its still illegal to eat shellfish from Jamaica bay. The deep dredging and the dump by canarsie.

You can still go to the bridge and drop traps just not in the middle of the bridge.

Thanks for the info!

People really eat captured animals from Jamaica Bay? :eek:

With the airport so near and jet fuel runoff after storms, not to mention the bodies dumped in there along with the other unknowns... I'm just saying. :confused:

LMAO !!

...but yeh bro, you'd be surprised at how many people fish in those waters... and most the time, it isn't solely for sport....

I posted this in the other section by accident where you asked about bringing the cages and game on the train but meant to post it here.

I really would advise against eating anything from Jamaica bay, you are bound to get sick.

Officials sent out a memo to all surrounding areas advising not to eat more than one meal per month of weakfish, no more than one meal pr week of striped bass and blue fish. As for crabs I wouldnt touch them. They also claim the green crap (hepatopancreas) in the crabs is highly contaminated and to discard any of the liquid after cooking.

Be safe with that stuff. Theres tons of crap in that bay thats been leaching into the system for years. Heres the article published in the New York Newsday

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/ny-lifish0616-table,0,5074993.htmlstory

Archived