Subway to LaGuardia

lilbluefoxie

Well, the Astoria is unfinished (you can tell as it ends abruptly a half a block short from Ditmars Blvd.) The city WAS going to do it but decided against it and spend the money on the (7) Extension and East Side Access as those are FAR more important then a subway to New York least busiest airport. Now talks say that Airtrain will be extended from Jamaica to LGA thus connect the two airports by rail. It is still under talks so don't expect anything anytime soon.

I highly doubt they will build an AirTrain from JFK to LGA, when they can just build one along the GCP starting at Astoria Blvd. IINM, it was under serious consideration back in 2004, but once the (MTA) took over the private bus lines they had to spend millions-maybe even billions-buying new buses and adding service, so that became the new priority. I highly think extending it to LGA is a big priority, because priority or not it is still a pretty busy airport - just look at the M60.

It is finished, I can't recall of any plans that put it further than Ditmars.

Actually in his final 2 years or so as Mayor, Rudy G.'s did propose several major transit expansion ideas. With extending the N/W to LGA being his top one. However once the MTA took over the city private bus lines it went off the table.

I think an airtrain between Willets Point/Citifield and the airport via Grand Central Parkway might be the only realistic rail link in near future ie next 10 years.

I think an airtrain between Willets Point/Citifield and the airport via Grand Central Parkway might be the only realistic rail link in near future ie next 10 years.

Or maybe a doube-branched (like the JFK AirTrain) AirTrain with a connection to Astoria Blvd. and JAckson Heights - Roosevelt Ave. This would allow connection with every major line in Queens to an airport.

Airtrain from willets point sounds good.

- A

Plus it stays away from neighborhoods and NIMBYS in Astoria Jackson Heights and Elmhurst as well. Plus the LIRR Pt Washington line is right there. It makes the most sense plus the cheapest link as well. Still might be at least $1 Billion but extending the (N)(W) to LGA might cost as much as $2-3 Billion.

Archived