Hello out there in Transit land!

CapeLIRRfan

Hi all,

I have mainly joined this site for the modeling forum, but I do have an interest in the goings-on with the LIRR and NYC subway as well.

Although I've lived in Massachusetts on Cape Cod for the past 19 years, I grew up on Long Island and have many memories of riding the LIRR into Manhattan to visit my father at work.

I recently purchased a house and finally have room to start building a layout. I'm still in the progress of designing it, but it will be VERY loosely based on miscellaneous NYC subway lines (with elevated and underground track) and the LIRR Port Washington branch (due to its proximity to the city, and also because my grandmother still lives there.) Somehow I'm also going to try to work in the JFK Air Train to tie in my love for commercial aviation. This will all be in HO scale.

I'm looking forward to being part of the forum here and learning more about the NY transit system from all of you!

-Rick a.k.a. CapeLIRRfan

Cape Cod, MA

I recently purchased a house and finally have room to start building a layout. I'm still in the progress of designing it, but it will be VERY loosely based on miscellaneous NYC subway lines (with elevated and underground track) and the LIRR Port Washington branch (due to its proximity to the city, and also because my grandmother still lives there.) Somehow I'm also going to try to work in the JFK Air Train to tie in my love for commercial aviation. This will all be in HO scale.

THAT's FREAKIN AWESOME :) Good luck on your desings, and welcome to the site ;) :cool:

As an N-scaler (HO is a tad too big for my space constraints) I look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. :cool:

Joe,

I had thought about doing N-Scale for exactly that reason (pack more layout into the same sized area) but unfortunately a lot of what I want to model isn't available in N-Scale at this point in time. I don't mind kitbashing or scratch-building scenery items and little details, but an entire fleet of rolling stock is out of my league! lol... B)

And thanks to all of the rest of you for the warm welcome. Hope to see you around the forums!

-Rick

Haha, thanks Knight Ride®(R)! lol

Re: RokuSix, Cape Cod is a nice place to live, but an entirely different world than the NYC area or Long Island! It took quite a bit of adjustment from myself and my parents to get used to life around here - much slower pace, different food, different people. I like it, but it's given me a greater appreciation for the New York area and everything that makes NYC so special! We go back to visit family about once a year or so and gorge ourselves on pizza, chinese and deli food... haha. There are definitely a lot of advantages to Cape Cod though, especially in the winter when all of the tourists are gone. It's a much quieter place, often times you can walk on the beach and not see anyone for hours! Not a great place for rail fans though since there isn't a lot of activity. Most of the trackage from the "old days" has been torn up and turned into a bike trail! Boston is only about an hour away, and they've got a good commuter rail and subway setup (albeit with four lines of subway - orange, blue, red and green. I always laugh when I see someone get confused by the Boston "T" route map - that ain't nothing compared to the MTA!! They'd probably be lost for days! haha...)

-Rick

Archived