Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Messino

The Forest Park LIRR route

I was walking with friends through Forest Park today and had my camera and decided to take pics. Most people run across the tracks to get from one set of bike / jogging paths to the other side of the park that the tracks divde. There are no fences keeping people from doing this and its the only way to get acroos without walking miles down to the walk overpass as shown in the pics.

This was the first pic I took. I forgot the flash on so it made the chipmunks eye look evil

evilchipmunk.jpg

rounddabend.jpg

Heres a signal

signalp.jpg

This is the Interborough / Jackie Robinson Parkway overpass

interoverpass.jpg

This is what it looks like when you look over the ledge facing south. Sometimes there are really REALLY DUMB kids that throw rocks at the cars below. I can't say how many times I've driven through that and hoped I didnt get smashed with a rock!

interboroughfacingsouth.jpg

Here is the overpass that people walkover that is in the Forest Park street that is closed to public automobile traffic

oldwakover.jpg

Check it out, you can see the J Train passing over heading towards Brooklyn

jtrainwest.jpg

Here are a few pics of a double decker locomotive powered LIRR train that I saw heading towards Manhattan. These tracks have no third rail.

lirrleavingwest.jpg

lirrleavingwestb.jpg

lirrleavingwesta.jpg

Thanks for sharing, interesting location of this tracks are.

By the way, that is a multi-level (C3). ;)

Nice photos.

However nice & cool they are, it's not a good idea to go near rail tracks without a crossing unless the line is deactivated, those trains can seriously sneak up on you without much notice, and you make the engineer very nervous.

Next time have the proper authorities guide you. :cool:

- A

those trains can seriously sneak up on you without much notice

Especially true of electric MUs. I don't hear the one arrive at my station until it starts pounding on the rail joints.

Nice shots, you ventured out of Forest Park a little. That's the elevated stretch after Forest Park when it runs between Babbage St and Bessemer St before hitting Jamaica Ave (the J is in the background). I like the elevated structure there and the neighborhood surrounding it, although it changes as you approach Hillside/Myrtle/Jamaica Aves. I think one train runs through there per rush hour, was that the evening one? Pretty daring since the line is active even though it's infrequently used!

Especially true of electric MUs. I don't hear the one arrive at my station until it starts pounding on the rail joints.

Septa trains don't use bells, and often don't use the lights when pulling away, and rarely use their horns, usually only at grade crossings. You really need to keep back from the edge at the low level stations. Also, when an amtrak train is on the local track, usually because of stopping at cornwells heights, if you are close enough the blast of air can knock you off balance. I have a video 3 feet away at levittown, and whew.... :eek:

But yea, the only rails i ever walk near have not seen a train in 25 years.

- A

Nice rare shots of the only passenger train on the lower Montauk!

Where are those signals? The Lower Montauk is dark territory as far as I know...

Nice rare shots of the only passenger train on the lower Montauk!

Where are those signals? The Lower Montauk is dark territory as far as I know...

This is in Queens. The train runs through Forest Park and once it passes under the second overpass it leaves the park area headed to Jamaica. The train used to stop right there close to the signals but they closed that stop years ago. It was called Richmond Hill.

Nice shots, you ventured out of Forest Park a little. That's the elevated stretch after Forest Park when it runs between Babbage St and Bessemer St before hitting Jamaica Ave (the J is in the background). I like the elevated structure there and the neighborhood surrounding it, although it changes as you approach Hillside/Myrtle/Jamaica Aves. I think one train runs through there per rush hour, was that the evening one? Pretty daring since the line is active even though it's infrequently used!

Yes that was a west bound evening train, about 30 mins before I took that pic I missed an east bound train. It's not very daring at all and considering its been decades since anyone has been hit by a train on those tracks. I don't understand how ANYONE can be that oblivious to their surroundings and get hit. We have been going there since kids and the only time someone got killed there was because of little teens drinking on the tracks and one girl was so drunk she didn't move out of the way, but hey it's a pretty dumb idea to get drunk by train tracks anyway right?

There are crossings on each side so the train is constantly blaring the horn when passing them. I have some pics of Raccoons and opossums that were hit by the train, pretty gruesome. But you have to be really dumb to get hit by one of those trains and not be paying enough attention when crossing or walking the side of the tracks. As I stated I am very familiar with the area and when we are walking or crossing those tracks we make sure to be very alert and not hang around too long. Most people go about their business pretty well over there so if it was a problem the LIRR would have rebuild the fences along the park by now.

I love the route of this line from Jamaica to Long Island City, it's too bad the line was never really a success and they shut down all the stations back in '98. I'm sure the stops at Richmond Hill, Glendale and Fresh Pond would've had more customers had this line went into Manhattan

I love the route of this line from Jamaica to Long Island City, it's too bad the line was never really a success and they shut down all the stations back in '98. I'm sure the stops at Richmond Hill, Glendale and Fresh Pond would've had more customers had this line went into Manhattan

There were supposed to re-open the Fresh Pond station but that was put on hold. Years ago they made the businesses that were leasing space on both sides of the street above the tracks by Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Ave. move because they still need to rebuild the foundation as it is severly cracked and needs to be repaired.

There were supposed to re-open the Fresh Pond station but that was put on hold. Years ago they made the businesses that were leasing space on both sides of the street above the tracks by Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Ave. move because they still need to rebuild the foundation as it is severly cracked and needs to be repaired.

Ah yes you're right, I remember hearing that now. Forgot all about that. A friend of mine that owns a business on Fresh Pond Road mentioned that to me maybe 4 or 5 years ago but after not hearing anything I assumed it was a rumor.

Those are great shots. I was able to zoom in enough to see that the Richmond Hill station looks fairly substantial with its concrete island platform and umbrella shed. A shame it's not used.

Those pics are fantastic! It's been rare for me to catch a train on the Lower Montauk. The last I've seen trains was back in the 90s when I saw GP locos hauling those old coaches with access to low platforms. If you look closely onto the tracks, you can see longer ties that once electrified the line.

Those pics are fantastic! It's been rare for me to catch a train on the Lower Montauk. The last I've seen trains was back in the 90s when I saw GP locos hauling those old coaches with access to low platforms. If you look closely onto the tracks, you can see longer ties that once electrified the line.

I'm not sure what pics you are referring to that have the longer ties. The LIRR tracks I took pics of never had a third rail in the 27 years I have been going there.

I'm not sure what pics you are referring to that have the longer ties. The LIRR tracks I took pics of never had a third rail in the 27 years I have been going there.

You see how in your second picture that some ties are longer than the others. Well, those used to be a support for a third rail which existed multiple decades ago. Here's my source: http://www.oldnyc.com/rockaway/contents/rockaway.html

*Please read Metropolitan Av. to Montauk Branch Gallery 3

You see how in your second picture that some ties are longer than the others. Well, those used to be a support for a third rail which existed multiple decades ago. Here's my source: http://www.oldnyc.com/rockaway/contents/rockaway.html

*Please read Metropolitan Av. to Montauk Branch Gallery 3

Interesting, although that must have been very long ago as there are zero traces of any third rail electrification except for those few extended ties. There are not even any holes or hardware on those ties that can be seen and as stated in that link from the Jackie Robinsons / Union turnpike bridge and down west there was electrification. I have some pics of the old Rockaway abandoned tracks and plan on taking more pics of the old abandoned line from 63rd drive rego park down to rockaway blvd where the line meets with the A train. We used to walk those tracks for hours as kids.

I've always wondered how it would be like to walk those abandoned tracks b/c I used to live in Ozone Park in the 90s. One time I even thought that a freight train was running across the Atlantic Avenue bridge, but eventually realized that it was a rusted part of the bridge reflecting light.

Excellent pics. I've always wanted to take the ride from Jamaica-LIC just for the fun of it. Around what speed does the train go, I don't imagine it could go that fast given some of the infrastructure of those areas.

I did ride that line once as a small child, going to Glendale... but I barely remember it, aside from it feeling like a totally different railroad than the LIRR. I still contest that those stations were closed down in '98 due to the fact that there was nothing to them, and yeah, no service connect to the main line near LIC.

Excellent pics. I've always wanted to take the ride from Jamaica-LIC just for the fun of it. Around what speed does the train go, I don't imagine it could go that fast given some of the infrastructure of those areas.

I did ride that line once as a small child, going to Glendale... but I barely remember it, aside from it feeling like a totally different railroad than the LIRR. I still contest that those stations were closed down in '98 due to the fact that there was nothing to them, and yeah, no service connect to the main line near LIC.

I've done it before. Max speed is maybe 45, slows down once we get to the grade crossings. Fun trip, and the speed around LIC allows for some good pics outside the train too.

Oh, and great pics, Messino!

Interesting, although that must have been very long ago as there are zero traces of any third rail electrification except for those few extended ties. There are not even any holes or hardware on those ties that can be seen and as stated in that link from the Jackie Robinsons / Union turnpike bridge and down west there was electrification. I have some pics of the old Rockaway abandoned tracks and plan on taking more pics of the old abandoned line from 63rd drive rego park down to rockaway blvd where the line meets with the A train. We used to walk those tracks for hours as kids.

The 3rd rail was removed & used as stand in for the rest of the system in case of derailment. I am unsure if any original PRR era 3rd rail remains today though.

- A